View Full Version : Herbs/vitamins good for mental clarity and focus

Jtuck1995
10-07-12, 10:16 PM
Anything working for anyone?

SweetCode
10-08-12, 01:38 AM
Kinda for me, I was having some difficult focusing recently and been felling really tired , I was even considering asking for a dose increase for my pdoc and in the last friday I started felling that I was going to have a sinus infection (common for me specially during the spring [south hemisphere]).

Then I realized that I was eating badly for at least 2 weeks ( I am having a really heavy workload in my job. so I probably ate real food only once during both weeks, rest of the time was fast-food and snacks ) , then I took a multivitamin pill and eated correctly during this weekend, I woke a few hours ago and even before taking my pill I was already motivated , full of energy and without any sinus problems.

btw , usually I eat really healthy , I love to eat whole foods :D and IMHO (most people disagree with me about it) they're so tasty!!

sarahsweets
10-08-12, 04:39 AM
Some people say fish oil /omega 3's are really helpful. There are not many more that I've heard of.

Tina BB
10-08-12, 05:08 AM
ive heard that recently and was wondering if anyone had had any positive things to report

tudorose
10-08-12, 06:30 AM
Here's the thing. You're brain will work better if your body is functioning correctly. I see a naturopath for RRV. The treatments do nothing for the ADHD however as I am getting treatment for the other issues it makes it easier to think and concentrate when I'm not feeling as cr@ppy as I used to.

Drewbacca
10-09-12, 04:13 AM
The thing with herbs/vitamins is that they are only beneficial if you are lacking a given specimen in your diet. With the huge selection of fortified foods on the market, it is unlikely that the average person is deficient.

Other factors may reduce absorption of a given nutrient, but that would require vitamins via injection to bypass the digestive system and falls outside of the topic at hand; it would also require a qualified doctor to receive such treatment.

As Sara mentioned, there has been some evidence that an Omega3&6 supplement will help with ADHD symptoms. If you search the forums, you should be able to find a link to the study.

nogremlins
10-10-12, 09:12 PM
I started using a liquid vitamin and mineral supplement 4 months ago and was able to back down on my adderal to the point where I barely need it any longer. I'm using a mangosteen and mineral supplement. My 21 y/o son is experiencing the same level of focus and clarity. (We are using Vemma).

I also have a number of clients (I'm an ADD Coach) who have tried Dr. Amen's supplements for clarity and focus and have been happy with the results.

Another option is Juice Plus (food based tablets). A client has experienced good results with that one as well.

Feel free to email me if you have more specific questions.

SweetCode
10-17-12, 07:54 PM
I've been taking the supplement for 2 days , I am taking 1.9g of Linoleic Acid , 260mg of GLA and 160mg of Oleic Acid (it's Barlean's Primrose oil softgel capsule,fells strange to take a woman supplement lol) and 0.6g of EPA and 0.35g of DHA ( Barlean's fishoil ) and a polivitaminic/multimineral supplement (amazing how much stuff they put in this pill).

It didn't made me fell focused yet but it did calmed me down , I am not felling as agitated as I used to , but maybe it's because I took a 4 day break from my meds while visiting my parents ( also I ate much better during this visit than I am used to , thanks mom! :D ) and started again now (which make the med fell stronger...) , I haven't took my med today and I was able to work nicely but maybe it's because I had an emergency at work and maybe the adrenaline helped.

Anyway it's a short period until now , but if it didn't helped , it didn't made anything worse... I will make another update in a few days, let's see if it works for me, until now it seems to be helping but there's a lot of variables that may have influenced.

I have some work to do tonight and I fell like I need my med to work , so for now no big news :)

SweetCode
10-18-12, 01:22 AM
I don't know about the focus , but I can certainly drop the klonopin, I never felt so calm and chill... I didn't need klonopin everyday so I don't know (I guess not) if it works for who needs a daily heavy dose of benzos for me who used sometimes for insomnia omega 3 is way better , no side-effects and don't make me sluggish , makes me worry a little by my (way too short to count) experience with this , makes me think if people using it with ADHD kids aren't just transforming ADHD kids in ADD kids.

If it works for my ADHD too probably I'm going to integrate it in my med kit (if it don't I'll try a cheaper version just for cutting the stim anxiety and insomnia, this barleans brand is way too expensive here in brazil almost 100 USD for 1 month treatment , close to my vyvanse price (150USD/month) ).

I'll try to increase the dose next week , to see if it helps with the adhd too.

SweetCode
10-20-12, 08:18 AM
I don't believe that I am going to say it , but I guess I will need to stop taking vyvanse... I was so focused working last night that I felt just like a friend of my that don't have ADHD when he took a ritalin... I was unable to change my focus between subjects because I was too focused....

I guess that omega 3 / 6 is really helping... I will start working now and I will try to work without meds... I can't believe that it's working, also because of the calming effect I don't need klonopin and since I am eating better and I will have my appetite back what probably will allow me to drop pantroprazole too...

SquarePeg
10-20-12, 08:50 AM
Beroccas help me. I first used these as a hangover cure nearly 30 years ago after my pharmacist told me they were popular in Australia. They did help with hangovers.

Now I take them to help with tiredness they are vit c, b1, b2 nacin, b6, folic acid, b12, biotin, panothenic acid, magnesium, zinc.

If I take one in the evening I canīt sleep so they definately have an effect. How much they help me concentrate I donīt know, but tiredness for me is a killer regarding focus and concentration, it makes everything so much worse.

so to clarify before someone jumps on me, I am not saying they help with adhd but rather help with my tiredness, which affects my adhd.