View Full Version : Possible bipolar or just my ADHD?

Sazzums
10-08-12, 06:18 AM
Reading a lot lately on my ADHD, I am starting to understand it more and more. I do also have depression, and am also starting to question if I may have tendincies that point towards bipolar too.

My mood swings are huge. Some days I'll go to work in the happiest mood, but by the time I get home I'm just ready to curl up in a ball and sleep through the next three years. I can go from being happy to angry to sad in a day, or I may have good weeks and then I just wake up feeling like ****, won't get out of bed, won't shower for the whole weekend, don't want to eat, turn my cell off so I can avoid everyone, then a few days later I feel great and just want to be out and life is great again. I mean, tonight alone I texted a friend asking him to pop over, he's busy, so I had a massive go at him about treating me like ****, then texted half an hour later to say sorry, then another half hour later I was I the bathroom with a knife.

Is this just my ADHD and depression giving me these huge ups and downs, or is it possibly something more?

Sazzums
10-08-12, 06:40 AM
There is plenty more, I just can't remember most of it at the moment :/

sarahsweets
10-08-12, 06:50 AM
Have you talked to your doctor about this?

Sazzums
10-08-12, 06:57 AM
No. I don't want to seem like I'm over reacting or anything, especially if it's just my ADHD being the cause.

sarahsweets
10-08-12, 07:45 AM
Its really worth talking to your doctor.

Violet River
11-09-12, 03:14 PM
It sounds like bipolar type 2 to me, but you should talk to your psychiatrist for a professional opinion. But what you described sounds exactly like bipolar type 2, which is the more depressed bipolar (bipolar 1 is more manic). People with bipolar type 2 have very bad depression that will last for a while and then they will cycle in to a hypomanic phase where they are on top of the world which will last for a shorter amount of time. Yes, your ADHD could have something to do with it, but it doesn't sound like it has much of an influence.

Are you taking medication for depression or for your ADHD? I have Bipolar type 1 and ADHD, and over the summer I quit my bipolar medicine to do some soul searching (every bipolar person gets the feeling that their meds are making them something they aren't) but I kept taking my ADHD medication at the time, which was Starterra. By only treating my ADHD, it seemed to blow up my bipolar disorder and I had greater anxiety, greater mania (which I actually like) and greater mood swings. Thus, I couldn't focus on my work.
My point is, if you are only treating one problem, it can enlarge your other problem, so it would help to know what medications you are on.

dogluver358
11-09-12, 07:45 PM
I would suggest talking to your doctor. This definitely merits a discussion and would not be considered overreacting.

phantasm
11-09-12, 09:29 PM
i agree with the folks above. Call your doc asap and don't sugar coat. At the very least tell themexactly what you said here.

Fuzzy12
11-12-12, 03:00 PM
Reading a lot lately on my ADHD, I am starting to understand it more and more. I do also have depression, and am also starting to question if I may have tendincies that point towards bipolar too.

My mood swings are huge. Some days I'll go to work in the happiest mood, but by the time I get home I'm just ready to curl up in a ball and sleep through the next three years. I can go from being happy to angry to sad in a day, or I may have good weeks and then I just wake up feeling like ****, won't get out of bed, won't shower for the whole weekend, don't want to eat, turn my cell off so I can avoid everyone, then a few days later I feel great and just want to be out and life is great again. I mean, tonight alone I texted a friend asking him to pop over, he's busy, so I had a massive go at him about treating me like ****, then texted half an hour later to say sorry, then another half hour later I was I the bathroom with a knife.

Is this just my ADHD and depression giving me these huge ups and downs, or is it possibly something more?

I can so relate. My mood swings are huge. I'm wondering if I'm bipolar II. I'll ask my pdoc tomorrow but like you I worry about being told that I'm over reacting. Have you seen a doc? Keep us updated please

Lunacie
11-12-12, 03:48 PM
Sometimes our bodies react to something in the environment that we
aren't even aware of. For me, it's perfume or scented products.

When I lived in the teeny tiny town about 20 miles from anything, I'd stop
at a certain store before heading home to use the bathroom. They had an
automatic air freshener that was activated by the door opening.

For years I didn't understand how I could have a good day in town and be
a raging manaic who could only scream or cry by the time I got home.

It's getting more and more difficult for me to go anyplace as everything is
scented these days - garage sales are a killer now because the clothing
reeks of scented detergent and fabric softener.

I have to wear a face mask to go to the doctor's office because nearly all
of them have a secented plug-in in the waiting room. Ironic, no? A place
to get healthy makes me sick.

Now I know that chemical scents caused at least some of my mood swings.

keliza
11-14-12, 11:06 AM
Honestly, to me that doesn't sound like bipolar disorder. It sounds more like borderline personality disorder (BPD). Especially this part:

I mean, tonight alone I texted a friend asking him to pop over, he's busy, so I had a massive go at him about treating me like ****, then texted half an hour later to say sorry, then another half hour later I was I the bathroom with a knife.

Those kind of drastic overreactions and threats of violence against yourself, especially in response to relatively minor perceived slights, are common in BPD. They are not particularly characteristic of bipolar disorder.

It can be easy to confuse bipolar and BPD in some people, and they can rarely occur together, but that's not very common. Both disorders involve dysregulation of mood and can be very destructive, but they are quite different.

Bipolar disorder (all types) is a mood disorder characterized by episodes of mania, hypomania, dysthymia, or major depression, depending on the type of bipolar disorder. The mood episodes typically have to last for a minimum of 5-7 days to be considered a true mood episode. (With the exception of major depression, which has to last at least 2 weeks to be diagnosed, as per DSM-IV-TR.) Just feeling moody throughout the day doesn't constitute bipolar disorder. Some people have severe rapid-cycling bipolar disorder, where they can cycle between mania and depression within one week, even within a day, but that is extremely uncommon.

Mania is a mood episode characterized by highly euphoric OR irritable mood, and at least 4 of the following: high energy, decreased need for sleep (not feeling tired even after only 2-3 hours of sleep, for example), racing thoughts, rapid, pressed speech, impulsivity (often in dangerous ways like indiscriminate sex, massive spending, and drug use), quick temper, poor judgment, reckless behavior, etc. A manic person may also have grandiose feelings about themselves (like thinking they are invincible, unstoppable, that they are special or blessed, that they have special knowledge about the universe, etc.), and could have psychosis and delusions of either grandeur or paranoia (delusion of grandeuer: "I am supernatural" delusion of paranoia: "the CIA has me wire tapped, they're coming after me.")

Most people know what depression is, so I won't detail it. Hypomania is like mania but to a lesser degree. To many people, hypomania might just look like a week or two of really good mood - someone who has more energy, is bubblier than usual, bursts of creativity, undertaking lots of projects, etc. Hypomanic episodes do not involve psychosis. Dysthymia is a milder form of depression that isn't as profound in its impact on the person's life. Think of someone who is chronically Eeyore-like in disposition. There are also mixed episodes, which means a person experiences both symptoms of mania and depression at the same time. I can tell you from experience that it is one of the worst feelings I have ever experienced in my life. It feels like your brain wants to rip itself in half and implode simultaneously.

Knowing what those things are, now you can understand the four different subtypes of bipolar disorder:

Bipolar I Disorder: Characterized by episodes of mania and major depression. Can also experience hypomania, dysthymia, and mixed episodes. Can have psychotic features during uncontrolled mania and mixed episodes.

Bipolar II Disorder: Characterized by episodes of hypomania and major depression. By definition, no psychotic features present in any mood state. Does not experience mixed mood episodes.

Cyclothymia: Characterized by episodes of hypomania and dysthymia. No psychotic features, no mixed episodes, no episodes of mania or major depression.

Bipolar Disorder NOS: NOS means Not Otherwise Specified. It's sort of a catch-all category for people who exhibit mood symptoms that are clearly abnormal, but do not fit neatly into any other diagnostic category.

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) on the other hand, is not a mood disorder, but a personality disorder, even though it has many mood-type symptoms. BPD is a disorder of personality in which the individual has a disturbance in their sense of self. They are prone to black and white thinking, and oscillating between idealizing and devaluing relationships with others. (So, one week you might think, "This person is the best friend you could ever ask for" and the next week, "This person sucks, I hate them, they're awful.")

Folks with BPD are prone to wild mood swings between depression, irritable anxiety, suicidal thinking, and tend to have very extreme feelings in general. But their mood episodes, unlike those in bipolar disorder, are short and change in a flash. Just like you described, they might be depressed one day, happy the next, anxious the next, have a whole weekend where they want to kill themselves, but then wake up Monday morning like the world is the best place ever.

The Wikipedia article on BPD is actually very well-cited, you can read it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder).

Whatever is going on, I ditto everyone who has already encouraged you to speak to a doctor about this. It's not overreacting or making a big deal out of nothing. If you have something like this disrupting your life so much, you deserve to get help for it, whatever it is.

dogluver358
11-14-12, 12:51 PM
Thanks keliza. I was afraid to post something like that, but that's also true and possible. I think OP needs to print out this page and bring to the doctor.

shahidsaif
11-23-12, 10:01 AM
Thanks Dogluver358 many thanks.