View Full Version : Any vegetarians?

nanners
10-08-12, 06:10 PM
I went veg about a year ago, due to stomach issues I won't go into detail about :p Already had tried to cut as many preservatives, dyes, etc out prior to that, as I could.

Just curious if anyone else is?

ana futura
10-08-12, 11:35 PM
I was since childhood but now I eat fish on occassion. I became a bit of a fast food vegetarian- a lot of fake meat and worthless garbage like that. If I had a live in chef who would cook me awesome healthy balanced vegan meals I would be vegan.

crystal8080
10-09-12, 12:32 AM
I don't eat meat with feet. Still eat fish and dairy.

Drewbacca
10-09-12, 04:16 AM
I've been on&off veg. for a good chunk of my life. The longest stretch was over seven years. My biggest problem (health wise) is watching the high glycemic stuff, too many saturated fats, and too much sodium.

A vegetarian diet isn't much healthier than a meat-based diet if you are consuming a lot of simple carbs, saturated/poly-saturated oils, and salt.

Fuzzy12
10-09-12, 07:59 AM
I'm a veggie. I recently started taking fish oil capsules to alleviate my ADHD-like symptoms. Felt a bit bad, but sigh..priorities... :rolleyes:

Besides, I suspect, I consume quite a lot of animal products unknowingly, anyway and I wear leather shoes too though I recently couldn't get myself to buy this really beautiful leather jacket. It just seems odd being wrapped in somebody else's skin.

I agree, Drew, that a vegetarian diet isn't necessarily healthier than a meat based one. It all depends on what exactly you are eating and if you are getting sufficient nutrients from whatever food you consume. I do struggle a bit with my protein intake especially since I'm not a big fan of eggs either. I try to make it up by eating loads of beans and pulses. I guess, it's ok.

Drewbacca
10-09-12, 11:42 AM
Fuzzy, you should make protein shakes with soy protein and fruit for a breakfast staple. :)

Electra2
10-09-12, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=Electra2;1378128]I try to be a vegetarianer but I often forget it and eat what the others eat and then they go...'' I thought You were a vegetarian ?!? ''

nanners
10-09-12, 06:10 PM
A vegetarian diet isn't much healthier than a meat-based diet if you are consuming a lot of simple carbs, saturated/poly-saturated oils, and salt.
agreed Drew. I try to keep it really healthy and balanced. But when I am stressed/tired, carbs literally call my name from the kitchen cabinets. tricky stuff, those carbs.

I'm a veggie. I recently started taking fish oil capsules to alleviate my ADHD-like symptoms. Felt a bit bad, but sigh..priorities... :rolleyes:.
i switched to flaxseed oil once my last thingy of fish oil ran out. definitely noticed it does not work as well. i will be going back to the fish oil. as long as i don't have any gastro issues, it's fine by me.

the only thing i miss eating is fish. i get a hankering for salmon here and there. the good thing is, my family is totally on board, even the kiddos. I feed them fish or chicken a few times a week for dinner, but otherwise they are good to go with my chickpeas, quinoa and edamame madness.
sometimes i go for the fakey meat, cuz the kids love tacos and burritos. tastes pretty good actually. but i prefer the real deal vegetables.

i've made a ton of delish veg dinners this year. too bad i have no way of remembering what i made or wear the recipes went to. :doh:

(and i am proud of myself for multi-quoting!)

nanners
10-09-12, 06:11 PM
[quote=Electra2;1378128]I try to be a vegetarianer but I often forget it and eat what the others eat and then they go...'' I thought You were a vegetarian ?!? ''

haha!

MrDavidAlan
10-10-12, 07:18 AM
Yes - and I was vegan for many years.

crystal8080
10-10-12, 11:13 AM
Last time I said "That's It!! No more meat!" I was eating very healthy. I stuck with the dairy and fish because otherwise it would be just too much planning. And it was the pork, beef and chicken I really didn't want to have anymore. Yuck. I quit again in April. Sadly, I haven't been cooking as many real 'meals' as I was. I LOVE black beans, chickpeas, quinoa and edamame! I need to get refocused:rolleyes:

So, what is everyone elses's REASONS for quitting? The big thing for me was stories on the news. Every time something broke loose it grossed me out so much I couldn't eat it anymore, then eventually started eating it again. This time I'm out for good. I could eat local etc, but I just decided to opt out. So first it was rendering plants. Then that Maple Leaf contamination. Meat glue. Pink slime.

And I must say....I have never been happier to be on THIS side of this new beef recall going on. From what I understand they are having a hard time even knowing where all the meat ended up. I don't trust the meat industry can you tell?:cool:

Of course Im also doing it because of environmental, economic, humanitarian reasons. Pretty sure Albert Einstein has the right idea about it.

Twiggy
10-10-12, 11:52 AM
My stomach wants me to be Vegetarian. It feels like it takes a lot longer to digest meat than any other food. I don't like eating too much meat for this reason.

nanners
10-11-12, 01:22 AM
Yes - and I was vegan for many years.

wow, vegan is hard core. i can go a few days, but is feels so restrictive. especially with feeding a family and trying to feed myself differently. but i must say, i feel better when i do go those few days.

i know a vegan couple, who just had a baby and are planning to raise him vegan. cannot imagine how they are going to get him through birthday parties alone!

crystal8080
10-11-12, 01:30 AM
My stomach wants me to be Vegetarian. It feels like it takes a lot longer to digest meat than any other food. I don't like eating too much meat for this reason.

Someone told me about a blood type diet. So I looked it up. Apparently type A should be veggies, type O should be meat eaters, and type B should be both...I forget what AB should be...I think it was also like B.

I am Type A. Found it interesting anyway.

nanners
10-11-12, 01:33 AM
Someone told me about a blood type diet. So I looked it up. Apparently type A should be veggies, type O should be meat eaters, and type B should be both...I forget what AB should be...I think it was also like B.

my mum told me that as well. but i don't believe anything she says. maybe i will look into it now. ha!

crystal8080
10-11-12, 02:01 AM
haha...its just a bedtime story ;)

Drewbacca
10-11-12, 05:53 AM

The amazon reviews alone should tell you how accurate such books are...

When it works for someone, they become hyper vigilant to enlightening others... but such diets don't work for a majority of the people who try them.

A similar thing happens with a lot of vegetarians/vegans who suddenly feel healthier and begin to preach the diet to others, because after all, it made a difference in their own life. Problem is, are they healthier for what was given up? Or, are they healthier for what replaced the crap they ate before?

I'm not criticizing any diet, but I'm not condoning it either. What works for one person, often only works for just that person. I've had to remind more than one self-righteous* vegan friend of this.

*I didn't just call vegans self-righteous, I'm referring to vegans who are self-righteous at the time of given conversation.

I've never personally been vegan, but I was dairy&gluten free for over a year which didn't overlap with any of my vegetarian stretches. Most diets are generally easy once you develop new habits... the tough part comes in from unexpected sources.

For example, someone with celiac's can't have a french fry that was cooked in the same oil as a breaded-onion-ring. Vegans can't drink many beers because of a fish-byproduct used for clarification purposes. There are all kinds of hidden ingredients out there... that's the tough part.

crystal8080
10-11-12, 11:14 AM
The amazon reviews alone should tell you how accurate such books are...

When it works for someone, they become hyper vigilant to enlightening others... but such diets don't work for a majority of the people who try them.

A similar thing happens with a lot of vegetarians/vegans who suddenly feel healthier and begin to preach the diet to others, because after all, it made a difference in their own life. Problem is, are they healthier for what was given up? Or, are they healthier for what replaced the crap they ate before?

I'm not criticizing any diet, but I'm not condoning it either. What works for one person, often only works for just that person. I've had to remind more than one self-righteous* vegan friend of this.

*I didn't just call vegans self-righteous, I'm referring to vegans who are self-righteous at the time of given conversation.

I've never personally been vegan, but I was dairy&gluten free for over a year which didn't overlap with any of my vegetarian stretches. Most diets are generally easy once you develop new habits... the tough part comes in from unexpected sources.

For example, someone with celiac's can't have a french fry that was cooked in the same oil as a breaded-onion-ring. Vegans can't drink many beers because of a fish-byproduct used for clarification purposes. There are all kinds of hidden ingredients out there... that's the tough part.

Oh I couldn't agree more! That's why its just a bedtime story.:lol: Scientific proof is weak at best and is full of contradictions. I mean really...most people are either O or A. Some pretty broad strokes here, for every one who agrees, there will be someone to disagree. I just thought of it when PP talked about not digesting meat well.:eyebrow:

But I DO feel better since quitting meat.:D I don't think it matters why.

I did a gluten free diet for my husband to see if it helped his Crohn's. It is AMAZING how many things have gluten in it. Pretty much everything. It helped him but he couldn't stick to it.

And the vegan thing, that would take some real dedication imo. DH's cousin is vegan and the family is so hard on her. But not only is she vegan, she is a very picky vegan. She will only shop at food stores she trusts. We went to a chinese place for food when we were visiting and had a special made meal made just for her, watched while it was made.....and she never ate it. You can't put food above her food in the fridge. She'll toss it. But she will eat her favourite vegan potato chips by the bag.:scratch:

Even her really hippy and free spirit parents think she's a little out there when it comes to food. I just think its great she's sticking to what she believes in, even if a part of me thinks its a little weird...

nanners
10-11-12, 09:47 PM

my personal vegan friends are very self righteous. it's a total turnoff. i also notice that they are very controlling in all aspects of their life. but they also are good at giggling, so i keep them around. that is for another thread i guess.

nanners
10-11-12, 09:59 PM
But I DO feel better since quitting meat.:D I don't think it matters why.

agreed!!!

in other news, it has been pouring buckets (which is a nice change at the beach) and i have a vegan zuppa toscana soup simmering on the pot right now. link to recipe below if interested.

for your amusement:
1) i forgot to buy the onion
2) i burnt (burned?) the garlic on the first go, as i started cooking it before i had actually peeled and cubed the potatoes
3) i had to re-read the simple instructions about 10 times
4) when it was time to put in all of the rest of the ingredients towards the end, i didn't measure a dang thang. afterwards, i realized that might have been a good idea

http://bring-joy.com/2009/11/02/vegan-zuppa-toscana-soup/

Electra2
10-12-12, 03:56 PM
agreed!!!

in other news, it has been pouring buckets (which is a nice change at the beach) and i have a vegan zuppa toscana soup simmering on the pot right now. link to recipe below if interested.

for your amusement:
1) i forgot to buy the onion
2) i burnt (burned?) the garlic on the first go, as i started cooking it before i had actually peeled and cubed the potatoes
3) i had to re-read the simple instructions about 10 times
4) when it was time to put in all of the rest of the ingredients towards the end, i didn't measure a dang thang. afterwards, i realized that might have been a good idea

http://bring-joy.com/2009/11/02/vegan-zuppa-toscana-soup/
Yum!!
I wanna try this ;)

ana futura
10-12-12, 05:01 PM
my personal vegan friends are very self righteous. it's a total turnoff. i also notice that they are very controlling in all aspects of their life. but they also are good at giggling, so i keep them around. that is for another thread i guess.

I used to get in fights with angry vegans all the time. They give vegetarians just as much grief as meat eaters.

I also have a few vegan friends who are not self righteous at all, they are super chill and just awesome people.

Usually it's the newbies who are the worst.

demuregeek
10-18-12, 09:50 PM
Vegetarian here. Funny thing is that life seems to be trying to pull me more towards a vegan diet -- we figured out several years ago that I'm mildly lactose intolerant, and one of my kids is allergic to eggs. It'd be a tough go being vegan here, though -- we're in a small northern town, the produce sucks, and a lot of the nifty vegan staples like seitan and tempeh are very hard to come by.

When it comes to attitudes -- the few vegans I know are really laid back about it; you wouldn't even know if you didn't ask them, or have a meal with them, or what have you. I don't give anybody grief about what they eat -- I figure we're all a little different, and the diets we need to eat might be a bit different too. Besides, I was a happy steak eater for many years before going veg, so. :)

It's taken a little while to sort out meals and recipes so we don't eat the same thing every night, or nothing but starch and cheese, but eventually things came together. I enjoy cooking, but it's taken some work to come up with recipes that contain actual vegetables, taste good, and don't take all day to make. We're in a pretty good place now, though. Wouldn't go back :)

nanners
10-19-12, 01:14 AM
sweet!

have you ever used nutritional yeast? It's a nice thickener and also has a cheesy quality to it. I use it a lot in soups and baked things, like lasagna.

I have to admit I am very lucky. I live in an area with multiple farmers markets. We walk down to the closest one on Saturday mornings and pick up tons of fresh yummy organic veggies.

I agree with you too on the not giving people grief bit. I try to not bring attention to it as I don't like all the questions I get when out in public. People are so funny.
"You are a vegetarian?!?! :eek: What do you eat?! How do you get your protein?"

Grantham
03-14-13, 04:28 PM
My boyfriend is vegetarian, though I am not. I have cut meat down to 2-3 servings a week, which works well for me. I try to eat "good" meat when I do eat it, trimmed of fat, organic, ect. I've noticed thinking clearer and also just feeling better.

emploding
03-14-13, 09:13 PM
I'm vegetarian, always looking for new and simple things to eat because I hate cooking so end up eating the same 3 or 4 things constantly lol

starry
03-15-13, 02:11 AM
Vegetarian (non-lacto= no dairy that is) since I was 12. Became a vegan about 10 yrs ago.

For ethical reasons only.

But the health benefits have been the bonus effects :)

Now I'm trying to eat more alkaline/alkalizing foods (just started a few weeks ago), since getting a really bad UTI that didn't go away and alkalizing my blood PH and keeping it high is helping create an environment where bacteria can't grow.

I realized that my diet was way too acidic and the bacteria loves sugar as well as acidic environments to grow.

Also cut down on gluten (have a few bites of 7 grain-toast every morning, but that's it). So no breads, pasta etc.
When I'm fully healed, I might have vegan pizza/flatbread once in a blue moon, but going to do my best to eat a non-gluten diet 97% of the time.

The hardest thing has been to cut out fruits, due to the strict no sugar (fructose is still sugar) diet I'm following at the moment (to kill all the remaining bacteria from the infection).
I'll eat fruit again in the future, but not going to for a while.

Gadfly
03-16-13, 10:08 AM
If I had a live in chef who would cook me awesome healthy balanced vegan meals I would be vegan.

Me too. :)

I am vegetarian now for over 3 years.

My favourite Chinese take-away is Tofu dishes like black bean, satay etc sauces.