View Full Version : What has worked for binge eating/constantly thinking about food

t_end21
10-10-12, 01:29 AM
Hello,

Currently I am prescribed to adderall IR 60mg a day, 300mg wellbutrin extended.

I have been battling with a binge eating disorder for a while. It's really bad when I come down from the adderall. My mind goes from calm and focused to the complete opposite when the adderall wears off. It races and often times I can't stop thinking about food. And during this time anything that even remotely goes wrong drives my stress levels through the roof. I feel really down when the adderall wears off and I don't want to do anything but binge or sleep. I can't focus on anything, even activities that I enjoy doing like playing video games. I also get very mean when it wears off. I'll go from the nicest person ever to a complete jerk.

I believe that it is a combination of depression and anxiety. Has anyone else been able to conquer this problem? I am going to my doctor in a week but I want to hear some opinions on here first.

Should I try to get an anti-anxiety like Klonopin? Or should I try to get another anti-depressant?

The thing I worry about taking another anti-depressant is a lot of them make you gain weight and if it made me gain weight or made me more hungry that would definitely make me more depressed.

I also have read about how benzo's can be very addicting, but I need to do something. I am miserable anytime I'm not on adderall.

spunkysmum
10-10-12, 02:07 AM
Can't help you much with my own experience, because the thing that has worked for me in terms of stopping binging/food obsession is.....Adderall. LOL

t_end21
10-10-12, 02:16 AM
Can't help you much with my own experience, because the thing that has worked for me in terms of stopping binging/food obsession is.....Adderall. LOL

I'm glad to hear that it works for you. It works great for me when I'm on it, but as soon as it wears off I have problems. I think that this helps prove that I have some underlying anxiety/depression that is aggravated with the comedown from adderall.

I am also thinking about asking my doctor to increase my prescription from three 20mg IR to three 30mg IR per day. Or even four 20mg. I'm not sure if he will like that idea though.

tudorose
10-10-12, 05:41 AM
I think you should talk to your doc. Maybe you need to taper the dose at the end of the day so you don't come down so hard.

As for the obsessing about food and binge eating I wish I had an answer. I'm trying to work this one out for myself and I'm hoping that someone posts something here that will help.

Fuzzy12
10-10-12, 10:35 AM
Nothing has worked consistently for me. The best results I've had are with making sure that I'm never hungry because if I'm even a little hungry I either continue starving myself or I binge.

Try filling up on fibre rich, complex carbs. Ground flax seeds have worked wonders for me in the past. Drinking water also helps. Often people confuse hunger with thirst. Or maybe you could try healthy food, like fruits or veggies. Bingeing on those isn't too bad, I guess and you don't get the huge mood swings that you get from simple carbs or sugar (well that I get)

silivrentoliel
10-10-12, 11:58 AM
I'm a bored/anxious nibbler (not full on eating, but I nibble, and if plain sugar would fill me up, that'd be my food of choice). I've actually found when I get that craving for food or sweets, I will make myself one of those carnation instant breakfast things with a glass of milk (I use the milk chocolate flavor... yum) and it actually really fills me up. I no longer feel thirsty right then, nor hungry and I continue doing whatever it was I was doing before I got distracted.

I have no idea if this was the type of answer you were looking for.... but I'm trying desperately to cut the sugary nibbly food out of my diet, because it is NOT helping the weight loss. (but it's soooo good :( )

phantasm
10-10-12, 01:42 PM
I actually have your same symptoms - Binge eating, iritability ect when I come down from Ritalin. My first suggestion would to take your meds later in the day so it will wear off at bedtime. that way you can just go to sleep and not deal with any of those sypmtoms.

On the binging...I am an emotional eater, so the irritability makes me want to eat so I "feel better". Knowing that helps me to make a less impulsive choice to eat. But what I know hurts me the most, is that sugar makes me crave more sugar. So if I do decide to binge, I choose high protein/low carb foods. I don't care about the fat content either. Just if it has a crapload of sugar. I use to eat ice cream before bed, and then I would want chips, then a candy bar and on and on and on. Instead If I ate a hardboiled egg or a peice of chicken or steak with some veggies, then i wouldn't eat anything else after that. AND I would not be bloated and gross in the morning. With that said, stay away from sugar and hig carb anything in the afternoon and you may crave a lot less sugar in the evening.

Have you seen the documentary FatHead? It's very interesting to say the least. You can watch it for free on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs&feature=g-hist

avjgirsijdhtjhs
10-10-12, 01:48 PM
I feel really down when the adderall wears off and I don't want to do anything but binge or sleep. I can't focus on anything, even activities that I enjoy doing like playing video games.

So do you not feel refreshed and rested in the morning?

If you have enough time in your daily routine to get enough sleep, but don't feel rested in the mornings, SSRIs and SNRIs might be able to help decrease your REM (non-refreshing) sleep, and increase the amount of time spent in deep (refreshing) sleep. So in that way they could help, but since they decrease emotions, they also work in the opposite way by not making you care about getting fat. I think benzos decrease deep sleep. Or maybe it's that people that are on benzos do have less deep sleep, but it isn't the benzos that are the cause. Not sure

Read up on sleep deprivation with regards to leptin, ghrelin, carbohydrate metabolism, and insulin sensitivity. Zinc can help with leptin, but you don't want to take too much. Not idea about anything that can help with ghrelin.

Any chance of sleep apnea?

What about Vitamin (hormone) D? What's your sun and\or tanning bed exposure like? How much Vitamin D do you take? D effects both sleep and nutrient partitioning.

Nothing has worked consistently for me. The best results I've had are with making sure that I'm never hungry because if I'm even a little hungry I either continue starving myself or I binge.

Try filling up on fibre rich, complex carbs. Ground flax seeds have worked wonders for me in the past. Drinking water also helps. Often people confuse hunger with thirst. Or maybe you could try healthy food, like fruits or veggies. Bingeing on those isn't too bad, I guess and you don't get the huge mood swings that you get from simple carbs or sugar (well that I get)

As far as lowering the glycemic index of meals (besides the usual recommendations that are suggested when running a Google search, like when eating carbs, to also eat both fat and protein with them, and to eat lots of soluble fiber, and more obvious ones like eating slower), I've been incorporating the following three things lately to lower the glycemic index of meals:

This won't be news for a lot of people that up on insulin resistant diabetes, but read up on how vinegar can lower the glycemic index of a meal. You might could try drinking a little apple cider vinegar before eating a meal.

Eating psyllium fiber before, or mixing it in with what you're eating can slow gastric emptying and thus lower the glycemic index of a meal. I buy straight psyllium fiber online, because what you want is for the fiber to gel up. The Equate (WalMart store brand) Metamucil knock-off I've tried doesn't do this, even though it uses psyllium fiber. Plus, the sugar-free version contains maltodextrin which is even higher on the glycemic index than glucose. So if I don't feel like mixing it in with my food, I get a scoop of it and put it in a little bowl and then add a little water and in a couple seconds it will have formed a thick gel. Then after a couple seconds, once the gel has finished forming, I just spoon it out of the dish and swallow with water. Don't just get a spoon of psyllium fiber that you haven't added water to and put it in your mouth and try swallowing it with out without water. If you do this, what it'll do is gel up immediately and stick (VERY well!) to the inside of your mouth, and if you try to swallow it, you could choke and kill yourself.

Also, how you prepare foods alters the glycemic index. As an example, after baking or microwaving a potato you can put it in the freezer and let it cool all the way down and then take it out and reheat it, and the glycemic index will be lower from adding the cooling cycle. And if you want, you can put it through another freeze cycle to lower the glycemic index even further before reheating and then eating.

Caffeine and nicotine are also great at causing reactive hypoglycemia. The increase in epinephrine cause the liver to pump out more glucose, and if you get a quick rise in blood sugar, the pancreas might overcompensate with it's insulin response which causes your blood sugar to start crashing, and when your blood sugar gets too low, you feel awful - very cranky and irritable and can't think, jittery from an outpouring of epinephrine to jack your blood sugar back up, etc, and so you reach for more either more caffeine, or more nicotine, or more carbs to get your blood sugar back up.

avjgirsijdhtjhs
10-10-12, 02:36 PM
Don't just get a spoon of psyllium fiber that you haven't added water to and put it in your mouth and try swallowing it with out without water.

I should have proofread. The edit below is what I meant to say, with bolding added where the edit occurred.

Don't just get a spoon of psyllium fiber that you haven't added water to and put it in your mouth and try swallowing it with OR without water.

If you have pure psyllium fiber, don't put it into you mouth dry and try swallowing it. Even doing this with a glass of water to swallow it down with is a bad idea, since it gels up (A LOT) immediately when it comes in contact with saliva or water and could cause choking.

Johneyella
10-29-12, 07:00 AM
f ‘normal eating’ is eating when you get hungry, without giving it much thought, the vast majority of people probably don’t eat normally. We all have different eating habits. You may have one large meal a day, or lots of small snacks. At times, you may experiment with food, cutting out things you feel may be bad for you, trying out new foods, or fasting.

dreambutterfly
02-02-13, 12:43 AM
Hello everyone. I am new here, and I am going throw the same problem. I am here trying to find support, because I haven't being diagnosed yet but since I was little I showed all ADD signs. I come from a family who doesn't know much what is mental health. They thought if you are smart, is what is important. What I had realized is that even we all the knowledge that I have gained this years, I haven't achieved any realistic goal like getting the job of my dream. I being diagnose with clinical depression in the past. But now I am scared to be medicated again because I am a Mom of two beautiful kids and they need me. My husband doesn't understand what is happening with me and he wanted to go to work immediately and that he will pay one week babysitter. But I don't want to just get a crazy off the book job. I want a place where I can be happy and do what I like to do. And Finally I am looking refuge on junk food. I am aware That this foods are all wrong but I keep punishing myself. Can anyone, please ,let me know if chemical treatment really help. I believe, we mental disable patients deserved an opportunity to live a normal life.

dvdnvwls
02-02-13, 03:18 AM
@ t_end21: Do you eat a big breakfast and a big lunch while the Adderall is working? You need to. It's possible that your body is just going crazy from no food all day. Also - what kind of food do you eat for breakfast and lunch?

Raye
02-02-13, 05:34 AM
I don't binge eat but I found that drinking lots of water 2-4 8oz glasses helps me feel full and I don't want to eat.

dvdnvwls
02-02-13, 12:28 PM
I don't binge eat but I found that drinking lots of water 2-4 8oz glasses helps me feel full and I don't want to eat.
... and on Adderall you need way more water than normal.

At the end of your Adderall dose, there is a "crash". Too little food during the day means that when that "crash" comes you will feel terrible, really tired and desperately wanting to eat. But if you force yourself to eat a good breakfast and lunch, the crash is not such a big deal.

clairethecat
02-08-13, 10:48 PM
I have similar issues and am on a combination of 10mg Lexapro and stimulant (Adderall XR until yesterday when I switched to Vyvanse for (hopefully) increased coverage). The lexapro decreased my anxiety significantly within three weeks of being on it, and within two months my anxiety was at a pretty good level that I can handle.

Also I noticed you are taking Adderall IR. Have you considered switching to XR, Vyvanse, or Daytrona patches? For what it is worth, my pdoc, only RXs IR as a last resort due to the increased up and down feeling that people have. She has been trying to talk me into Daytrona, but I have sensitive skin and don't want a patch. She got me to switch to Vyvanse because it is still amphetamine, but is absorbed more slowly and smoothly (less crash) by most people.

Anyways, I have found the lex/amphetamine combo to be pretty good, but have only been dx for a few months. My pdoc sees a lot of adult adders though, so I trust her opinion on which drugs to try first. All I told her was no wellbutrin as it makes my hair fall out.

clairethecat
02-09-13, 12:08 AM
Meant to say a few other things too which is why I responded to this in the first place :) I have a history of binging and purging. Had extremely strong sugar cravings all the time. My weight has fluctuated over a range of about 35 pounds up and down, up and down from age 14. Now that all my medications seem pretty stable my sugar cravings are gone.

When I first started the Adderall I would have strong cravings it wore off, but after a few weeks (which is when the Lex started working) that become much better and now I can choose to eat something high protein with veggies and just one piece of bread in the evenings. I also make sure to eat a could combination of protein and carbs during the day. A few times I went without eating and I would really crash out.

GwenDee
02-10-13, 11:38 AM
I'm back here today to read up on Daytrana, b/c my doc suggested it as a way to help me have me have a more modulated intake of meds - since I can remove it after work day ends. I'm seeing a nutritionist as well and trying to figure out how to make myself eat during the day so that I don't have a horrible night of binging once my meds wear off.
sigh.
I started it about a week ago, but the dosage is a lot less than the amount of concerta, but guess it's the same thing and not sure if the dose is as effective or if it can be absorbed better. I dunno. Jury out, not feeling like it's helping my focus. The binging part is very hard still.

starry
02-11-13, 06:35 AM
I have to eat a very strict diet, even though I take Adderall as well and it does help tremendously with controlling the binges but is still never a guarantee I won't binge. If it does happen, it happens after Adderall has mostly worn off. And if I'm too distracted and tired, I might start binging for hours without realizing how much I have eaten -until I start feeling sick from being too full.

My diet consists of protein, nuts and seeds, plants and veggies, fruit (max. 2 fruits a day, since they're full of fructose. Fructose is still sugar), I use solar dried sea salt instead of the standard salt, legumes, oils: coconut oil, olive oil, sesame oil, wild rice/basmati rice/brown rice, grains.

I stay away from processed food, dairy, animal meats, animal fats, sugar, gluten, wheat, simple carbs, flour, fried food.

Sugar and simple carbs like bread, pasta, pizza etc are mega triggers for my binging. Also chips, packaged snacks, chocolate.....I can't ever touch those and not lose control and finish the whole package. Then the next day, I can't go back that easy to eating healthy again, because I am now craving these foods again.
Any simple carb that will get converted into glucose too fast will cause cravings for that food later on. This is the case for me.

sarahsweets
02-11-13, 07:24 AM
I have a friend who began attendin over eaters anoynomous meetings and it really helped her. Although if youre not into the 12 step thing it wouldnt work.

starry
02-11-13, 08:26 AM
Yea, OA is awesome! I don't go to meetings too often anymore, but I really should. 12-Steps is indeed an amazing program, but I know it's not for everyone, since some people don't believe in a Higher Power. Harder to understand and commit to the program if that's the case.

akko
02-27-13, 11:19 AM
I used to have major binge eating issues. It got to the point where eating anything could trigger it. I looked into OA, but it seemed to be what I was already doing (restricting food groups, trying to never eat sweets) and I couldn't do it for more than a day without caving in and bingeing horribly. Then I found intuitive eating, and started to read up on it and apply it, and while it did take a while for the behavior to completely go away, I can say I am completely over binge eating today. What's more, I eat healthier than ever and very rarely crave junk food or sweets. When I do have some, I never have much. It's huge for me to be able to do this! Good luck!

seekingbalance1
11-06-13, 03:48 PM
Have you ever looked into DBT therapy? It can be used for a lot of things, but seems very helpful with Binge eating.