View Full Version : I need advice on making Turkey soup

mrzyphl
10-10-12, 10:55 AM
I've never made soup from scratch before so I'm following a recipe I found on google.
First I put veggies, spices, turkey wings and legs into a pot with water to make the broth. All the recipes I read said to skim the foam off once it starts boiling. I must've missed it because I didn't see any foam. Will this make the broth bad because I didn't catch it?
Second, somebody stole my strainer so I poured it through a pasta colander. I took the container from the fridge this am and it was just a big blob of gelatin. Is this normal? The recipes didn't say how thick the broth would be once it cooled. Should I have strained the broth through a cheese cloth? Would it be okay to plop it in the crock pot as is and add water to thin it out?

The broth smells really good and I'm looking forward to having homemade soup so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RedHairedWitch
10-10-12, 11:50 AM
It'll be fine. It should thin as it heats up, if you need to, just add a bit more water or some white wine.

mrzyphl
10-10-12, 07:55 PM
Ack! I screwed it up. I added twice as much water as broth and now it's thin and almost tastless. And after 4 hours in the crock pot on high heat the celery, carrots and onion are still hard! When I made the broth on the stove they turned soft just the way they should and I discarded them just as the recipe instructed.

What is it with crock pots that the veggies won't soften even when the broth is scalding hot for 4 hours?

Is there any hope that I can salvage this dam thing?

crystal8080
10-10-12, 08:07 PM
Oh its not all lost LOL...take it easy! Do you have any boullion? You can buy it in cubes or in powder, I usually add it when I make soups to add it to the broth. I think its also called stock cubes. I know it comes in beef and chicken, I'll take a shot in the dark and say it'll come in turkey flavour too.

Add some more poultry seasoning, maybe some more garlic powder. Put it on the stove on high heat stirring constantly on a hard boil for a bit. Should be ok.

Spacemaster
10-10-12, 08:21 PM
Even better than bouillion cubes, is chicken base. It's right next to the boullion, and it has a pastey texture. It costs just a little bit more, but the flavor is way better.

Sandy4957
10-10-12, 08:49 PM
For future reference, you'd have been fine without adding water. That gelatin texture is awesome once it's heated up. It makes for "body" in the soup.

I use a pasta strainer all the time. So long as there are no chunks of bone in it, you're good.

P.S. The skimming recommendation is to pull "impurities" (aka, little bits of protein) off the top to keep the broth clear. Not a big deal for flavor. It only affects the look and texture. Some cooks add egg white at the end to catch those little bits and then strain all the egg white and bits out with cheesecloth. Either way, I consider it to be an aesthetic issue, not a flavor issue.

crystal8080
10-10-12, 08:51 PM
Yes, but I think either will do when trying to save a soup :)

I will also be making a turkey soup tomorrow. I will throw in all the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, let it boil to stock, remove all the turkey and strain in a regular old strainer, then I add all the veggies to boil while I pick through the turkey. Simple. Just haven't decided if I'm going to add potatoes or rice.

mrzyphl
10-11-12, 08:35 PM
My broth was about 3 cups and I added 4 cups of water and 1 cup of white wine. I think that's at least 2 cups more than I needed. I'll add a bullion cube and reboil it on the stove and see what happens. Good thing I didn't add the egg noodles yet!

It's such a simple recipe yet I still managed to mess up the things that weren't in the instructions.

It's moments like this that I doubt I'm ADD and think I'm just stupid.

I'll let you know how I screw it up next... er, I mean how it turns out.:D

mrzyphl
10-13-12, 09:26 AM
I took some for lunch yesterday and it tasted and smelled like stale urine.

I've come to the conclusion that making good soup takes a very delicate balance of ingredients and proportions. Next time I'll add things a pinch at a time till I get the right mix for flavor.

Oh well, live and learn.

La vive le soup de jour!

MX2012
10-15-12, 02:52 AM
My broth was about 3 cups and I added 4 cups of water and 1 cup of white wine. I think that's at least 2 cups more than I needed. I'll add a bullion cube and reboil it on the stove and see what happens. Good thing I didn't add the egg noodles yet!

It's such a simple recipe yet I still managed to mess up the things that weren't in the instructions.

It's moments like this that I doubt I'm ADD and think I'm just stupid.

I'll let you know how I screw it up next... er, I mean how it turns out.:D

Mrzyphl -- this is how you learn.... no one is an expert without some mistakes.