View Full Version : How to get my doctor to take me serious

shootme
10-12-12, 12:49 AM
I need a benzo for anxiety/social paranoia/anxiety attacks. So far he's given me "non addicting" sh*t like hydroxzine pam and buspar. I haven't been able to find alot online about medications for social paranoia. Any tips/strategies?

Samantha Nicole
10-12-12, 01:55 PM
What is social paranoia?

Try the medication he's given you. It can take 1 - 6 weeks for it to work. Wouldn't you rather try a medication that is non-addicting to see if it works rather then become dependent and addicted to one such as xanax, benzos etc.

shootme
10-12-12, 05:18 PM
Its been over 6 weeks,its just like social anxiety i guess but more... paranoid ex. I will think their is stains all over my clothes and am constantly checking.

Nate W
10-12-12, 08:28 PM
Simple: Switch doctors. A while back I saw a psychiatrist for anexiety and he perscribed clonazepam and said I could take it indefinitely (although my research indicated otherwise and I SLOWLY weaned myself off of it after about a month (my "crisis" had subsided by then)).

My family doctor was just the opposite, no benzos, other than the 20 half milligram tablets he perscribed for me (both know I am a recovering alcoholic).

Benzos are great at killing the anexiety fast and they are effective, but are extremely dangerous for long-term use (over a month in my opinion), unless used sparingly. You build tolerance and getting off of them can be a whole lot worse than getting off of Schedule II ADHD medication. I never could understand why benzos are the more lienient Schedule IV. If taken long enough, even at perscribed quntities, if stopped cold turkey can theortecally kill you. They can cause siezures in this situation.

--Nate

shootme
10-12-12, 09:56 PM
I have read about the seizures, i would just want them for somthing important or for when i am extreemly strung out. +-

Flory
10-12-12, 09:57 PM
most psychs whether they prescribe these things or not, wont scribe to anyone if they are directly asking for meds, it usually sets off alarm bells to them

shootme
10-12-12, 10:02 PM
any tiips on bringing it up without being obvious.

namazu
10-12-12, 10:06 PM
any tiips on bringing it up without being obvious.
You're probably better off just explaining your situation. The meds for social anxiety and OCD and paranoia can be different. If the meds the doctor's giving you aren't cutting it, say so.

It's really important to tell the doctor about the paranoia or social fears, in as much detail as you can. This will help you get the doctor to take you seriously and prescribe the most effective meds.

And given that you're having problems with other meds, too, just trying to get benzos without being honest with your doctor is, in my opinion, going to set you up for a world of hurt.

shootme
10-12-12, 10:18 PM
I have tried, its one "non-addicting pill" after another. I want benzo's to use in important situations like reading a paper to my class or somthing. i cant constantly stop and look myself over every 10 seconsds...

namazu
10-12-12, 10:34 PM
I have tried, its one "non-addicting pill" after another. I want benzo's to use in important situations like reading a paper to my class or somthing. i cant constantly stop and look myself over every 10 seconsds...
Beta blockers might be another option -- they're sometimes used for performance anxiety.

But again -- this is why you need to be totally frank with the doctor. If what the doc's prescribed isn't helping, or there are special situations that aren't covered, the doc needs to know that.

If the doctor truly isn't listening, then you need to see if you can find a doctor who does listen to your concerns.

Targaryen
10-12-12, 10:51 PM
I take Topamax for chronic migraines but have a friend who took it for anxiety

Twiggy
10-12-12, 11:07 PM
SSRI's are pretty good for anxiety issues, it's just finding the right one that will work for you.
I have Social Phobia/Anxiety and take Zoloft only on days that I need to be in social situations, not everyday. It works.

Benzos are a high liability for doctors to prescribe to patients.

shootme
10-13-12, 02:18 PM
Ok thanks i will ask about beta blockers

Dj Skleen
02-05-13, 11:59 PM
Yes I actually took a beta-blocker before a presentation in class. Since in that case the physical symptoms of the anxiety can really make me unable to present.

sarahsweets
02-06-13, 05:35 AM
The best way to get doctors to take you serious is to dress up like a mime and pull a little charade type act to have them guys what it is that you want.;)

Raye
02-08-13, 07:23 AM
"I want benzo's to use in important situations like reading a paper to my class or somthing."

Sorry my friend, I don't think benzos are a solution for that matter.

before I got hooked, benzos made me high, then sluggish, unaware of my surroundings and I would stumble and bump into things, then literally crash out in bed like there was no tomorrow.

That's just me though.