View Full Version : Study shows most studies are wrong =)

demuregeek
10-12-12, 09:13 AM
In all seriousness, interesting news article about how the media reports health-related news stories. Things that seem like breakthroughs or are controversial get a lot of news coverage, while followups showing that these studies were mistaken get very little play.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/10/04/f-crowe-studies-false.html

Amongst other studies, the article references this one that talks about how many ADHD-related findings that get published in newspapers end up being false. This kind of thing has pretty obvious ramifications for how ADHD gets perceived by the public.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0044275

Fuzzy12
10-12-12, 09:16 AM
No time to read the article now but I love the title of your post :lol:

Dizfriz
10-12-12, 09:32 AM
demuregeek

Thanks for the links.

This is something that has been going on a long time to some degree. It is worse now since, among other things, most of the knowledgeable medical and science journalists have been laid off.

Part of the problem is the reporters. Several years ago I was talking to a reporter about an article she was writing and used words like "seems", "indicates" and such. She told me that it needed to be "punched up", made more exciting. I told her that the punching up would make her article inaccurate. Deaf ears it turned out.

Another problem is that with short funding for scientific research funds, scientists and those reporting results (university type pr people for example) tend to overemphasize what they often call "ground breaking" discoveries when at best the only justified descriptor would be "interesting".

Informed people know well that any study needs to be replicated several times before the conclusions are taken seriously.

Simply enough, most of the groundbreaking discoveries reported are not.

These points were addressed in the articles but I wanted to emphasize them a little more.

Again thanks for posting them.

Dizfriz

demuregeek
10-12-12, 10:14 AM
No time to read the article now but I love the title of your post :lol:

Hee! Thanks, but I can't take credit. That was the linktext the CBC site originally used to link to that first article. :)

sarahsweets
10-12-12, 11:11 AM
I read the news then wipe my a** with it it rings truer that way.

SquarePeg
10-12-12, 11:21 AM
Studies depend on a number of things and many arenīt worth the paper they are written on.
Who is carrying out the studies. Kellogs do studies that show us how important breakfast is, surprise suprise.

What does the term "long term" mean, in many cases medicines are only followed up for 7 weeks.

Misleading figures. Example 85% of subjects studied........ blah blah. Well the group studied could only consist of 25 people, (but they donīt tell you that bit) then 85% doesnīt seem as much.

Researchers are often pressured to find new data in case funding runs out.

Studies are often carried out by companies manufacturing products and itīs so easy to mislead, skew figures and present whatever picture they want to paint.

salleh
10-12-12, 11:23 AM
Sarah ....I have decided that every person on this planet needs to carry a small version of you around on their shoulder to keep the bulls*** down to manageble levels ....

the heck with that old fashioned good angel/bad angel .....we all need a Sarah angel !

demuregeek
10-12-12, 12:16 PM
LOL Salleh!

I'm going to have that mental image stuck in my head for a long time now. "Psssst!" "Yeah, what's up?" "Tell them to f*** off!" :lol:

dresser
02-11-13, 02:18 AM
I had to wait untill i quit laughing on the floor = trueer ring? the song is runnin through my head I think its the bell of fredom and the hammer of justis, the love between my brothers nd my sister alalover this land i can see sarh holdi nthe the news paper and lookin for the perpitrator ya brake me up sarha that was sweet please dont anyone take offence I have wicked imagination and it is supper fast it nock me out of my chair. thank youn very much for all of these posts demurgeek,there is alot of effort nd considerastion, I tend to get a little like Don Quixote nd that lady Brokovich. I want to pull those suckers down. so thank again

sarahsweets
02-11-13, 06:46 AM
I read an article once that said scientists have discovered that a double blind study on the statistics of interpreting the data from a study about the prevalence of studies about statistics of adhd studies were inherently flawed.

SB_UK
02-14-13, 04:01 PM
No scientist will ever publish a study which prevents him/her acquiring further funding.

Telling the truth can cost you your job in science.

BellaVita
02-14-13, 04:31 PM
I read an article once that said scientists have discovered that a double blind study on the statistics of interpreting the data from a study about the prevalence of studies about statistics of adhd studies were inherently flawed.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

BellaVita
02-14-13, 04:34 PM
Thank you demuregeek!