View Full Version : Sensory integration therapy -- anyone tried it?

GreyStreet
10-16-12, 10:28 PM
I'm starting to realize how much my sensitivities are getting in my way, mainly because I absolutely can't stand certain feelings or smells or sounds, and it gets on my nerves, and then either I have to remove the offending thing or I overreact and get really upset and it just ruins my mood, which in turn makes me no fun to be around, etc. Not to mention that I can't wear anything that touches my throat, hair has to be off my neck or well-enough contained that the loose strands don't touch me randomly (both of which affect dressing professionally), hate hate hate touching raw meat, and other inconveniences.

Anyway I've got to stop letting some tiny little touch or whatever affect me so much. I can totally get over it mentally, but physically I don't know how, or how to stop it setting me off emotionally. I'm a wreck!

I was thinking of trying some sort of sensory integration therapy, but I don't think my university offers that in the counseling center and I'm low on funds. Has anybody tried it? Or something similar that you can do at home or wherever?

Any input, tips, methods, etc are very welcome!

mctavish23
10-16-12, 10:48 PM
Yes. Occupational Therapy (OT) twice as an adult. The OTR is an old friend of ours,

who's also the most experienced (and best) Sensory Integration practitoner I've ever

met. It was fun and it definately helped with balance, coordination, and other related

impairments.

Hope that helps.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

GreyStreet
10-16-12, 11:09 PM
Glad to hear it helped you!

What sort of things do they do? The articles I read mostly talk about "fun games" and it seemed geared toward kids and/or improving motor function and such. Do you think it would help with reducing touch sensitivity too?

mctavish23
10-17-12, 08:42 PM
I'm not qualified to say whether it would help you or not.

You might check out the old standard on this subject :

"Sensory Integration and the Child" by Jean Ayers. There's

a 25th anniversary edition available now.

I can say that my OT friend used the Wilbarger Brushing Technique,

and that it did work very well for me.

Good Luck.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

TygerSan
10-17-12, 09:05 PM
I went through it as a kid, but I think I'm more sensory seeking than anything else

All I remember is that I used to spin and spin and spin and never get dizzy, but after the vestibular exercises (swinging, spinning on a Sit-n-Spin, etc.), I started to actually develop a vestibular response. . . I still love roller-coasters, though, so it didn't make me too sensitive.

That and I discovered how to unzip and crawl *inside* the big cushion filled with foam blocks. That was fun too :)

ConcertaParent
11-16-12, 04:07 PM
Are there any evidence-based treatments for sensory processing disorder (or SID)? I remember Dr. Russell Barkley listing sensory intergration therapy as among the disproved/unproved treatments.

Lauralight
12-20-12, 02:15 AM
I've looked this up before. It's bothering me more now lately.
My ears are more and more acute and bothered by certain tones.
I went to a Rhumatologist, and they took it into consideration and instead told me my problems were some new fangled syndrome, and I looked it up, it's barely out of the studies/theoretical stages from what I see(little on it online beyond journal articles, etc). It's called, Central Pain Sensitivity, and they blame it on the brain. I think it's not right, because they were trying to discount my muscle injuries and tell me that my cerebral cortex in my brain had become sensitive, ultra-sensitive, so my muscle pain as well was caused by this and my muscles weren't really hurt. I'm changing Rhumatologists now, since i have all sorts of scarring in my muscles that cause pain, it's real alright.
Be careful what Dr.'s blame symptoms on.