View Full Version : Non-prescription drugs for ADD/ADHD.

Jism1990
10-19-12, 01:18 PM
Well, I haven't signed into this site for a while. This is mainly due to the request of changing my username being honoured - and I was not notified. So I thought I'd forgotten my password.

Anyway, I digress.

Point is, in the UK ADD/ADHD doesn't seem to be widely acknowledged/accepted by the NHS, particularly in adults.

I've come to the conclusion I will always be slightly 'slower' and lack the ability to grasp things as easily as others. I accept that whilst my ADD isn't a direct result of everything negative in my life, it has been a big contributor. So I accept this will hang over me intellectually. This doesn't mean I wouldn't like to improve my condition.

As I can't afford to get the prescription privately nor illegally, is there anything you do that you can share with others which has improved your condition?

For me my main problem is motivation and my short-term memory. I'm also terrible at committing myself to anything. I recently read this post:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=699083&postcount=9

I am in the process of trying some of these supplements. I don't know whether they'll make much of a difference, however there is some decent information so the post could use some recognition.

So, lets hear it; what do you do?

Fuzzy12
10-19-12, 01:26 PM
The only thing that seems to work for some people is omega 3.

Have you tried getting diagnosed and were told you don't have ADHD?

Jism1990
10-19-12, 01:36 PM
The only thing that seems to work for some people is omega 3.

Have you tried getting diagnosed and were told you don't have ADHD?

No I was diagnosed as a kid, about 8 or 9. Nothing was ever done about it. Even when I was kicked out of schools. Always knew something was right, when I started getting fired from jobs too often I came across this site and found my symptoms mirrored most others.

GP's don't really care. Last time I went the second I mentioned ADD, he just looked away, worked on his computer and didn't pay attention to what I was saying (maybe he has ADD), then told me there wasn't anything they could do.

I just want something that'll help me get motivated, fix my concentration, better memory and make me more alert of my surroundings.

Fuzzy12
10-19-12, 01:42 PM
go back to your gp. They have to refer you to a psychiatrist at least. They aren't allowed to diagnose or dismiss conditions such as adhd.

Flory
10-19-12, 01:42 PM
^unfortunately no supplement will do that for you,behavioural therapy is limited in that it might teach you coping mechanisms etc but when you are impulsive and neurologically/biologically different to somebody without the conditions you will always be functioning at a lesser degree than others.

stimulant medication is the first line treatment, closely followed by non stimulants like strattera (atomoxetine)

Were you seen to by a CAMHS dept. as a child (Child and Adolescent Mental Health)?
What area do you live in ?
There certainly are things you can do still to receive some help..

Jism1990
10-19-12, 01:48 PM
^unfortunately no supplement will do that for you,behavioural therapy is limited in that it might teach you coping mechanisms etc but when you are impulsive and neurologically/biologically different to somebody without the conditions you will always be functioning at a lesser degree than others.

stimulant medication is the first line treatment, closely followed by non stimulants like strattera (atomoxetine)

Were you seen to by a CAMHS dept. as a child (Child and Adolescent Mental Health)?
What area do you live in ?
There certainly are things you can do still to receive some help..

I'm not sure, it was a long time ago. I remember being taken to quite a few different centers for tests and physological evaluations. I was prescribed Ritalin, but apparently refused to take it. By this time I was being expelled and getting in trouble with the police. I think at this point every one thought I was a 'lost cause' - However, I'm not like that any more just struggle with certain things.

I'm in the Southampton area. What can I do to receive help?

Flory
10-19-12, 02:03 PM
Just had a little look for you, your best port of call is to get a referral to a local psychiatrist in the first instance i would go to your GP tell them all of the emotional problems you have been facing as well as symptoms of inattention ADHD, based on what you've said it seems you have been quite severely affected by your ADHD and other issues, i would say it is highly unlikely if you can present yourself honestly to your GP that he would not refer you to a general psychiatrist.

from here you could possibly be referred to a satellite clinic or another adult adhd service via a different PCT they then use funds from your PCT to pay another clinic..however this could involve travelling quite far outside your local area.

I think the impact you have been having from ADHD and other problems is serious enough that you might want to consider getting a private diagnosis...it can be costly but once you have it in place you can receive meds on the NHS etc etc etc, but we can get in to that at a later date...most important thing for you to do right now is get yourself to your GP and get a ref. in place. Have you got anyone in your family that could go with you to help you get your point across and provide evidence as well as a firm directive to the meeting...i often have to take somebody with me because i lose the plot of whats going on in my appts...

MartinR
10-19-12, 02:48 PM
You just haven't found a good psychiatrist yet, but don't stop looking. It took me a whole year to find a good one. And I live in a country where almost no GP knows about ADHD.

String
10-19-12, 03:21 PM
Fish oil (omega 3) is the only pill that seems to help besides meds. I know it works for me because if I stop taking it for a few days, my ADHD symptoms get a lot worse. If I stop taking fish oil and I stop exercising and sleeping and taking care of my self, I'm a scatterbrained mess.

In other words, if you aren't taking meds, take fish oil (about two or three of those big pills a day), chill a lot, meditate, exercise, sleep.

By the way, I've had dry eyes so I just decided to take evening primrose daily, too. I've seen it used with fish oil on studies of ADHD and sometimes it gets mentioned around here. Today is my first day taking it so I can't comment if it helps or not.

Flory
10-19-12, 03:46 PM
Martin..its not the case over here im afraid...the OP wont even get referred for a psychiatrist when he has asked for help, the health system over here is very complicated...

Flory
10-19-12, 03:48 PM
if you want to try a fish oil BTW, try and get hold of a brand called eskimo oil especially helpful for brain function : ) lower mercury content than most fish oils, sourced in low mercury zones

MartinR
10-19-12, 05:16 PM
Well, if getting a prescription for Ritz or Dex is impossible there are a few options, although they are not that effective.

Omega 3, mentioned in some of the posts above is a very good option. You can also try various doses of coffee(a little higher than what is considered normal), but this might worsen your condition so make good tests and monitor your condition if you do it. Also try to avoid sugar, because people with ADHD have slower glucose metabolism in the brain, and too much sugar definitely makes things worse.

About meds you could try Piracetam or Modafinil (I am not sure if they are without prescription in your country though). They can improve adhd symptoms and in some people work really well.

Good luck