View Full Version : salicylates, amines, glutamates

NEOmom
10-19-12, 08:10 PM
I started to look through the long nutrition sticky thread for this, but quickly gave up. How anyone with ADD has the patience to look through that giant thread is beyond me. I wish people would post individual nutrition topics to make things easier to find. /rant :) My 7 yr old son has ADHD and it appears I have ADD too. I've been looking into various diet ideas and I'm curious if any of you have tried reducing or eliminating salicylates, amines, and/or glutamates for yourselves or your kids, and if so, what you experience has been. It seems extraordinarily complicated to keep track of, but anything that works is worth the effort, I suppose. I found this handy chart. I just might try it: http://www.everydaywithadhd.com.au/user-assets/info_sheets/salicylate_food_chart.pdf

Flory
10-19-12, 08:44 PM
hello and welcome to the forums neo,

i have limited experience of success with dietary adjustment's and my symptoms, my older brother was also put on feingolds with not really much improvement but that's not to say that it wont be beneficial ,even if not for the ADD, to your over all health.

Check out the sticky thread called Diz Friz corner, lots of advice for parents of ADD Kids there.

Drewbacca
10-20-12, 11:03 AM
I'm curious if any of you have tried reducing or eliminating salicylates, amines, and/or glutamates for yourselves or your kids, and if so, what you experience has been.

I get where salicylates are a concern, given that some people have an allergic reaction to them, although, I don't know that this is ADHD related in any way.

Amines? What about them? It's a very broad category, you might want to be more specific. Fundamentally, every single one of us who are medicated have a daily dose of amines/medicinal-salts.

Glutamates, such as MSG are generally safe according to more recent scientific studies. Of course, that doesn't eliminate the possibility of an individual sensitivity/reaction.