View Full Version : Ambien Questions

shootme
10-22-12, 02:08 PM
At least one night out of 7 days(one week) I'll be unable to sleep for the whole night, nothing changes when it gets close to my normal bedtime. It feels like day I don't get tired, it gets really frustrating. I have tried varying doses of melatonin on each occasion. It is not to high of a dose. On each occasion I have tried 1-20mg of melatonin. It doesn't do a thing, still feel the same(still feels like day, no need for sleep) I have also tried Valerian root, it gives same result...nothing. Seroquel doesn't work either. I have researched some medications and ambien looked pretty good, I am just really scared that I'll do something stupid in my sleep. I also saw that people have raped someone, this scared me ****less. I have anxiety and this really worries me because if I rape my mom or something. I would have to kill myself. What I meant when I said I had anxiety is that if that I was getting to worked up and the likelihood of this. Would a benzodiazepine be better, I have a done drugs and got caught, so there is an existing record of drug abuse mainly stimulants and mary jane(no benzo abuse). I am prescribed Adderall for adhd by my physiatrist, so he is obviously not worried about me abusing an addicting substance. Like I said I have anxiety and panic attacks for which he refuses to prescribe any benzodiazepines, I'm really nervous about all this stuff people do under the influence of ambien.

1.) Is there anything I can do to prevent it?

2.) How many percent of people sleepwalk on prescribed dose?

3.) If I where to have the unfortunate side affect of sleep-whatevering would putting a dresser in front of my door prevent this. Would I subconsciously know I did this and move it? Would I just try to move it and it would fall over. I saw that people can cook and actually know the ingredients, so I'm guessing I could do something as simple as moving a dresser.

shootme
10-22-12, 03:02 PM
Anyone?!?!

shootme
10-22-12, 03:23 PM
Can someone at least tell me what the hell is wrong with me?!?!

Lunacie
10-22-12, 04:06 PM
I wish I could sleep 6 days a week, but I have trouble falling asleep or

staying asleep nearly every single night. I finally asked my psychiatrist for

a sleep aide and I take a low dose of Trazadone at bedtime every night.

This is a very common complaint for those who have ADHD, it's like our

minds just can't relax even when our bodies are terribly tired.

For years I kept a low watt reading light on and would read until I fell

asleep, and read again if I woke up. At least I was resting, I thought.

Actually sleeping is so much better, although I hate taking meds.

shootme
10-22-12, 04:14 PM
It is not a racing mind, it has happened and I have in every possible mood. It is not anxiety related either. I have taken seroquel(200mg's) and I still feel like it's day. Something is seriously wrong with me. Does anyone know about the ambien?

Lunacie
10-22-12, 04:22 PM
It has nothing to do with my mood either.

I don't know anything about using Ambien.

shootme
10-22-12, 04:26 PM
Ok I think I see my doctor tomorrow. I will definitely let him know about this.

sarahsweets
10-23-12, 06:18 AM
Have you ever had a sleep study done?

shootme
10-25-12, 12:29 AM
No what are they, how do they work?

Unmanagable
10-25-12, 01:25 AM
Here's some detailed info on sleep studies:
http://sleepdisorders.about.com/od/sleepdisorderevaluation/a/Sleep_Study.htm

I worked shift work for a couple decades, so my sleep has always been a bit off.

I've been taking ambien for quite some time now and haven't experienced any issues with getting up and doing stuff without knowing it. But we all respond differently to meds, so you won't know until you try, pretty much.

The time of day I took it didn't seem to matter or bring about any negative side effects.

I worked all three shifts, so I'd have to take it at different times throughout the week.

The nights I'm physically exhausted, I don't have to take it.

When I do take it, I have to be sure to go to bed right after.

If I stay up with the computer on, tv, or whatever, my brain won't shut down and it makes falling asleep take much longer.

Wishing you luck!

shootme
10-30-12, 10:17 PM
Thanks it looks as if it could be helpfull but there would be complications for me
1.) I would have to spend 1-2 hours in my own bed to determine if it's going to be one of those nights. Then I'd have to wake up my parents and they'd take me there.
2.) There would be no point. Once I figured out if it was one of those nights, if I went, I'd be laying there and my ADHD would kick in and I'd probably get bored and say f**k this and get up and pace the rest of the night.
3.) My anxiety would kick in big time for people watching me lay there trying to get me to sleep, I might have a panic attack and hurt people+break expensive equipment.

LoveMySibe
12-09-13, 10:41 PM
Did you ever take the Ambien or get someone to answer your questions? I've taken Ambien for years, almost every single night. If you go straight to bed (at least in my case) then you should be okay! If you take it and do ANYTHING else, you may not remember it or do things you wouldn't normally. I've never done anything I wouldn't normally, but if I get online my facebook posts look like I was typing in the dark or something.

Laserbeak
12-12-13, 08:51 AM
Ambien made me sleep "do stuff," mainly cooking. It would be a real shock to walk into my kitchen and find it a total disaster while not remembering a single thing. There'd be various cookbooks scattered around open to recipes varying from Indian food to 12 layer cakes with buttercream. Thank God I live in New York and don't have a car to go sleep driving in!

Anyway, now I'm on temazepam which I think is a far better drug.

The problem with Ambien (and Lunesta) is that in their quest to make it less addictive by affecting less GABA receptors, they basically end up putting the brain only like half asleep.

If you haven't had any of these symptoms after taking Ambien for a while, you're probably OK, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just starting out on a sleeping pill.

Pentax
09-30-14, 11:51 AM
Bringing this thread back up.

Any recent experience with Ambien? Have you tried it, but found something better?

My SO has recently been experimenting with taking half an Ambien pill, then if he surfaces and needs it in the middle of the night, the second half. It's a "timed release," but concentrates the amount in two releases.

I don't have ADHD, but now that I'm with him, I'm somewhat synchronized to his sleep/wake cycle in the night, so am surfacing more than I did. This synchronizing looks like it's a natural feature of married life, or of mine Women, at least, synchronize bodily with people they are around, in some ways. But it means that we both are now working on better sleep, each with somewhat different bodily needs, beyond the usual of sleep in a darkened room, don't mess up your schedule, get some sunlight, etc.

I'm staying away from Ambien, but I don't think I have the sleep challenges that come with ADHD neurology. I hadn't tried Melatonin before but he sometimes uses it as an extra help to sleep, but, perhaps with my different serotonin, etc, I don't find Melatonin very helpful at all. nor does it seem to do more than help him a little with going down.

If you have ADHD, what gives you good rest, if you take a sleep help?

Unmanagable
09-30-14, 12:10 PM
I recently learned of the concern that Ambien has been prescribed to females at twice the safe dosage. Luckily, I read about it because my doc nor the pharmacist who were providing it for me ever notified me of the FDA concern. Now I know why I was even more sluggish and worn down than usual.

http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm334033.htm

I no longer take a sleeping aid. When I struggle with sleep now, I will sip on a cup of organic herbal tea (valerian root), do more deep breathing exercises, take a hot epsom salt bath with lavender essential oil, and use white noise or a sound machine with ocean noises to drift off to sleep.

Lunacie
09-30-14, 12:50 PM
I took Trazadone for about 6 months and was sleeping very well.

I decided to take a break and see how things went, continued to sleep well. :)

Laserbeak
10-01-14, 06:16 PM
Bringing this thread back up.

Any recent experience with Ambien? Have you tried it, but found something better?

My SO has recently been experimenting with taking half an Ambien pill, then if he surfaces and needs it in the middle of the night, the second half. It's a "timed release," but concentrates the amount in two releases.

I don't have ADHD, but now that I'm with him, I'm somewhat synchronized to his sleep/wake cycle in the night, so am surfacing more than I did. This synchronizing looks like it's a natural feature of married life, or of mine Women, at least, synchronize bodily with people they are around, in some ways. But it means that we both are now working on better sleep, each with somewhat different bodily needs, beyond the usual of sleep in a darkened room, don't mess up your schedule, get some sunlight, etc.

I'm staying away from Ambien, but I don't think I have the sleep challenges that come with ADHD neurology. I hadn't tried Melatonin before but he sometimes uses it as an extra help to sleep, but, perhaps with my different serotonin, etc, I don't find Melatonin very helpful at all. nor does it seem to do more than help him a little with going down.

If you have ADHD, what gives you good rest, if you take a sleep help?

If you split a time release pill in half, you likely defeat the time release mechanism and get the entire dose at once.

Again, I think temazepam is better. Much cheaper too, especially if you don't have insurance.

Pentax
10-02-14, 02:33 PM
It's a regular Ambien pill. He takes the second half during the night if he needs it

Thanks for the recommendation of temazepam. I'll look it up.

Laserbeak
10-08-14, 04:28 AM
It's a regular Ambien pill. He takes the second half during the night if he needs it

Thanks for the recommendation of temazepam. I'll look it up.

Oh ok, when you said it was "timed release" I figured it was Ambien CR.

adhdseeker
02-18-16, 12:07 AM
OP: As for doing things without remembering on Ambien: No, that has NEVER happened to me. In fact, not sure if this good or bad but I’m kind of proud of my ability to do things while on it. ^_^ And believe me i’ve done a lot on it. It took getting used to, though. Sometimes I like it because I tend to be more fank when talking to others, hehe. When I started taking it initially, yeah I a had a hard time remembering. But I think it’s gotten better. I’ll also eat a lot of food without caring at times.

This happens to me when I take Ambien but I’m not tired enough to sleep. That or I’m really super pumped up. I hate it when I wake up because it signals to me I never got into my super deep zombie mode of sleep, the kind that is truly restorative.

sarahsweets
02-18-16, 06:05 AM
If ambien is being used for sleep Im not sure why you would be proud you can function on it, or are even awake and aware while using it. For me, doing stuff and not remembering was a huge issue.

OP: As for doing things without remembering on Ambien: No, that has NEVER happened to me. In fact, not sure if this good or bad but Iím kind of proud of my ability to do things while on it. ^_^ And believe me iíve done a lot on it. It took getting used to, though. Sometimes I like it because I tend to be more fank when talking to others, hehe. When I started taking it initially, yeah I a had a hard time remembering. But I think itís gotten better. Iíll also eat a lot of food without caring at times.

This happens to me when I take Ambien but Iím not tired enough to sleep. That or Iím really super pumped up. I hate it when I wake up because it signals to me I never got into my super deep zombie mode of sleep, the kind that is truly restorative.

adhdseeker
02-19-16, 04:58 AM
If ambien is being used for sleep Im not sure why you would be proud you can function on it, or are even awake and aware while using it. For me, doing stuff and not remembering was a huge issue.

Oh no! yeah, that is an issue for most people. As for being "proud," it was a dumb thing to say. I guess i thought it indicated I was more aware, or something. But yeah, dumb thing to say on my part.

Drakescake
03-03-17, 01:58 PM
I take ambien 10 mg if I need to. It comes in lower dose too so I would recommend starting low. Take it and go lay down.. Definitely don't drive anywhere after taking. I have had issues with not remembering things I've done the night before but I'm on 10mg. I took 2 one time and don't remember taking the car out for a ride I hit a curb. But again if u tAke a low dose u will do fine. It needs to b taken on an empty stomach or it takes forever to work
Good luck....I love this medication...I sleep like crap most times so I need it.