View Full Version : Alpha blocker like Clonodin

AlphaOne
10-22-12, 02:23 PM
are used for adhd? Anyone on Prazosin? Its an alpha 1 blocker. so its lil different? I am having panic attack on it every three days or so. its the one of those where
your breathing become such that you are sure you would choked to death. i hate living like this. my provider is finicky incompetent and all she think about is get me off stimulant and keep her dea license. my gods she have her receptionist fight for her at one point. said she is feeling protective of her. why are You in the business of perscribing stuff???

Lunacie
10-22-12, 04:10 PM
Can you see a psychiatrist to prescribe for the ADHD?

Many general practicioners are out of their depth in dealing with ADHD

and hesitate to prescribe stimulant meds, although they have the best

track record and the most research to back up their use for ADHD.

AlphaOne
10-24-12, 03:01 AM
thank you lunacie :-) It doesn't make rational sense sort of but when I was on stimulant, never had panic attack. now I am on loads of dopamine antagonist, which does the opposite of stimulant, cogentine, and alpha 1 blocker, I am having very frequent panics. Right now, I feel like my skin is super sensitive to pressure, and laying down my head on pillow feels like putting my head on concrete block. ahh... I am going to ask for referral from psychologist next time. that sounds like a good next move:-)

SpaceBaby
11-10-12, 07:33 PM
I'm thinking of taking Prazosin because of the vasoconstrictive effects of stimulants. I know I could use Flomax, but I don't even have prostate problems (I'm a little too young for that).

namazu
11-10-12, 07:50 PM
are used for adhd?
Clonidine (and guanfacine) are alpha-2 agonists, so they're different from prazosin (an alpha-1 antagonist). As I understand it, clonidine stimulates the alpha-2 receptors, while prazosin blocks alpha-1 receptors.

Clonidine and guanfacine are both approved to treat ADHD and have been used off-label for a while in treating tics, aggression, impulsive behavior, and sleep problems. They are used under other names to control high blood pressure, too (which is also true of prazosin).

That said, it sounds like whatever combination of meds you're taking now is causing you a lot of problems (or at least not taking care of all the problems), so be persistent with this provider, or if possible, find a new one (much easier said than done, I know).

Good luck.

SpaceBaby
11-12-12, 09:29 AM
Clonidine (and guanfacine) are alpha-2 agonists, so they're different from prazosin (an alpha-1 antagonist). As I understand it, clonidine stimulates the alpha-2 receptors, while prazosin blocks alpha-1 receptors.

No wonder Guanfacine doesn't really help much. I'm determined to get Prozasin, I've been telling my doc, but I think I was confusing him about getting "muscle relaxants". I think the issue for me is more about the vasoconstrictive effect of norepinephrine.