View Full Version : Has anyone here ever taken benzos to relieve the side effects of stimulants?

SpaceBaby
10-22-12, 07:30 PM
Stimulants makes my urethral sphincter have spasms and I think benzos might help. I remember taking some left over xanax one evening to see if it would help, but I'm not sure if it worked or maybe the stimulant was about to wear off anyway... I want to get valium or something, but I doubt any doctor is just going to give it to me upon request.. maybe I could ask for zanaflex... who knows if that would even work...

dtached
10-23-12, 03:53 AM
It seems that quite a few people using this forum are taking both benzos and stimulants but the benzo dosage is typically very very low and as needed in most cases. From my experience and observations, I would not recommend combining the two unless you are closely monitored and very disciplined with your judgement in taking the benzos. Benzos don't just alleviate the side effects of stimulants, but actually counteract the desired effects. Also, taking both "uppers" and "downers" can have detrimental effects on one's emotional stability.

sarahsweets
10-23-12, 06:17 AM
Benzos are generally used for anxiety only, sometimes to lower the seizure threshold but I've never heard of them for the problem you mentioned.

Nate W
10-23-12, 12:53 PM
I urge anyone who is contemplating using benzodiazepines thuroughly research these medications, bearing in mind that they should only be used short-term (under a month) in most cases. Also, one should be fully aware of benzodiazepene withdrawal syndrome and about protracted withdrawal and the need to taper these medications, in some cases by substituting a longer acting benzodiazepine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_use_of_benzodiazepines

Also note that the half life of the various benzos can range from minutes to days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_benzodiazepines

Valium has one of the longest half lives and can build up in your system.

Not trying to scare anyone, but the more you know about these medications, that have their valuable uses, the better.

--Nate

Altair
11-26-12, 01:00 AM
I have taken both Desoxyn and Klonopin at the same time. But this is what my doctor told me. First take Desoxyn then later if you feel the need take a Klonopin. But not vice versa. I asked him why. He simply said. Is it easier to exhilarate a car while e brake is on, or to slow down while driving 100 miles an hour. I trust him he has proven himself to me.

known_guy
11-26-12, 09:01 PM
Stimulant medication is tricky for those of us who suffer from anxiety. Back when I was taking both Ritalin SR and Klonopin on a daily basis, the psychiatrist I had just switched to expressed concern over me taking "uppers" with "downers", which she'd thought was just a result of overmedication. In my case though, the Klonopin was not prescribed to offset stimulant side-effects, but specifically for anxiety. Whether Ritalin SR contributed to or exacerbated my anxiety was indeed a cause for concern but was not the reason in mind when Klonopin was prescribed. Eventually I stopped taking any Klonopin yet stuck with my stimulant medications.

Altair
11-27-12, 02:00 AM
Because todays doctors come straight out of school with no experience. They are usually cheaper to hire. They rely too much on technology and useless testings. I am glad that my doctor actually lisenents and does not give a damn what the internet will say.

425runner
12-05-12, 08:39 PM
Yes, low dose Klonopin might help you. I have interstitial cystitis and get urethra spasms at times, I take 0.25-0.5mg Klonopin/day and it keeps them away. I also have 4mg Zanaflex to take at night but it makes me weak - relaxes muscles and all so I hardly ever take it.

Stimulants makes my urethral sphincter have spasms and I think benzos might help. I remember taking some left over xanax one evening to see if it would help, but I'm not sure if it worked or maybe the stimulant was about to wear off anyway... I want to get valium or something, but I doubt any doctor is just going to give it to me upon request.. maybe I could ask for zanaflex... who knows if that would even work...