View Full Version : Desipramine

ChuckL333
10-22-12, 09:12 PM
So.. The drug that the doctor has me on now is called Desipramine, something used for depression and adhd. When the doctor was telling me about it, the only side effects that the medication could produce was feeling tired and a dry throat, thirsty. Now of course I always feel the need to take it into my own hands to find out as much about the medication I'm taking and this is what I've come up with on almost every site..

fast, pounding, or uneven heart rate;

seizure (convulsions);

chest pain or heavy feeling, pain spreading to the arm or shoulder, nausea, general ill feeling;

sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;

sudden headache, problems with vision, speech, or balance;

easy bruising or bleeding, unusual weakness;

tremors, restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck;

very stiff (rigid) muscles, high fever, sweating, confusion, tremors, feeling like you might pass out;

urinating less than usual or not at all;

extreme thirst with headache, nausea, vomiting, and weakness;

skin rash, severe tingling or numbness, pain and muscle weakness; or

nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).

Less serious side effects may include:

vomiting, constipation;

dry mouth, unpleasant taste;

weakness, lack of coordination;

feeling anxious, restless, dizzy, or drowsy;

sleep problems (insomnia), nightmares;

blurred vision, trouble concentrating, headache, ringing in your ears;

breast swelling (in men or women); or

decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.

Does my doctor really not have a clue?

Amtram
10-23-12, 10:55 AM
These are symptoms that the manufacturer is required to include regardless of how frequently they occur. If you want to know the real risk, read the prescribing physician's information that includes the statistics on how many times the side effects were observed in clinical trials. Often, the risk is expressed in a fraction of a percent, or found only in subjects with a co-existing condition.

In other words, it's a heads-up, not a prediction.

Fuzzy12
10-23-12, 11:45 AM
Chuck, like Amtram said, those aren't necessarily frequent or common side effects but rather rare ones. I'm not sure about the US but in the UK, the information leaflet for meds has to include how frequent a side effect is. Usually they are divided into

common (occurs on average in more than 1/10)
Very rare (occurs on average in more than 100/100000)

Something along those lines (don't remember the exact numbers).

Also they are divided into serious and non-serious side effects and they specify exactly, which side effects mean you ahve to immediately call your GP.

With anti depressants, I got most of the very common side effects but they usually wore off after a while.

Is desipramine related to imipramine? My mom takes that and as far as I know her side effects include mainly dry mouth. It differs from person to person though.