View Full Version : Trazadone?

shootme
10-25-12, 12:42 AM
Few questions,a little background first. I have been up for 24 hours at-least 1-3 days a week. This has been going on for a month and once every couple weeks before that. My doctor JUST prescribed trazadone. First thing I heard after trazadone was "it's non-addicting" The only "addicting" thing my doctor ever prescribed was adderall. It is quite annoying.
1. Was it effective?
2. How does this compare to ambien strength wise?
3. If this doesn't work will ambien?
4. How does this compare to benzos strengh wise?
5. If this doesn't work will benzos?

Thanks, Please answer if you have experience.

nanners
10-25-12, 12:50 AM
Howdy! I have been using Trazadone on and off four the last five years. My issue is falling asleep initially as well as staying asleep throughout the night. My body naturally kicks into gear late at night and wants to sleep in very late. But I have a day job, kids, etc...and cannot do that. Anyway, I was amazed how well this medication worked. I felt like I had real sleep for the first time in my life when I first started using it. I have built up a tolerance to it now and have to rotate between that and melatonin to keep it working. So far, that mix works for me.

I don't have any experience with ambien or benzos.

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to about it being non addicting and why it annoys you?

shootme
10-25-12, 01:16 AM
Nevermind i worded that wrong

Lunacie
10-25-12, 08:34 AM
I've been taking Trazadone for about 6 months, very happy with it so far.

I don't have health insurance so the p-doc prescribes 150 mg pills and I
split them into quarters, so about 35 mg.

Everyone is different. My 10 year old granddaughter (Autistism + Anxiety)
needs 100 mg to sleep through the night, instead of only 5-6 hours of sleep.

I've never taken any other sleep aide except for the occasional benedryl.

known_guy
10-30-12, 01:39 AM
I was once prescribed Trazodone for insomnia, and I think I took it for a few months. 150mg at night. It definitely helped me sleep, but there was something I just disliked about it - I'd wake up feeling... off.

As for the comparison with Ambien or benzodiazepines, I'd personally say one can't really compare them (in words) to Trazodone. Ambien caused me to do funny things late up at night like message people on Facebook who I hadn't spoken to in years. Nowadays I have Temazepam on hand for when I need it, and I think I might want to ask my psychiatrist if I could be prescribed Atarax/Vistaril to see if that's enough to help me sleep instead.

oneup
10-30-12, 03:11 AM
trazadone--too strong, I slept and had weird dreams, woke up really groggy, and felt depressed all day long. took it for a week.
ambien--weaker by comparison, had to take 2, although I was in the hospital in severe pain so this was also a factor. The sleep I got felt really natural though and I felt normal the next day.
benzos--effective, but groggy next day, and needed 10 hrs vs 8 hrs of sleep. Better than trazadone in my experience (have taken valium and klonopins).
benadryl or nyquil--surprisingly effective. Benadryl gives a hangover effect/ grogggy next day, nyquil can be unreliable and is not very healthy from some of the things I have read.

Of all these sleep drugs I thought trazadone was the harshest with biggest side effects, but it is still worth trying since everyone is different. All of these have + and -, overall ambien was the best overall for me, then the otc drugs (benadryl, nyquil), followed closely by benzos.

shootme
10-30-12, 10:07 PM
Thanks for having experience
for me it's
trazadone-- Didn't work on one of up 24hrs. nights, on normal nights I stay asleep and wake up with drymouth and bloodshot eyes, that was combined with seroquel and on a night where my anxiety was kicked up full gear, it Helped
ambien--none
benzos--none
benadryl or nyquil--Makes me hyper(sleepless)

Phoenix Ash
11-10-12, 07:38 AM
Just thought I'd share my Trazadone experience, for what it's worth...

It seems to be one of those drugs where folks are kind of all over the map in terms of its effects. Some people love it (like my sister), but for me... yech.

About a year ago I was experiencing some nasty insomnia. So the pdoc prescribed Traz. I took 50 mg. I did indeed sleep a full night, but then could not function AT ALL the next day. I felt like I'd been anesthetized for surgery. Didn't even have the energy to walk to the bathroom - had to ask for help. And I was like that alllllll day. Those 50 mg took over 24 hours to wear off, and I hated the way I felt the entire time.

A few nights later I was right back to being sleep deprived. So I tried half a pill this time. 25 mg. I slept some that night (more than I would have without the pill), but it was not great, and I still felt drugged up most of the next day, though not nearly as bad as before. But still unacceptable.

I gave it one more shot on another night when I was desperate for sleep. I wondered if I might have acclimated just a bit, so I tried 50 mg again. I suppose if I had been less sleep deprived I might have been able to think a little more clearly about that decision, but, well, poor decision making is what happens when you're sleep deprived. :rolleyes:

Same thing happened as the first time. Total zombification. I was supposed to go to the pdoc the next day but there was absolutely no way I could drive. I had to get a ride. Hell, I had to have help getting dressed. I had to stop and rest while walking from the car to the doctor's office. It was pathetic. The doctor was shocked at my condition and I ended up napping in his waiting room after our appointment.

Never. Again.

YMMV.

Phoenix Ash
11-10-12, 07:52 AM
Oh -- I probably should have added that I have also tried Lorazepam (generic for Ativan) and Zaleplon (generic Sonata).

10 mg Zaleplon: Did a much better job at putting me to sleep than it did keeping me that way. Would knock me out solid within about 30 minutes of taking it, but then I'd sleep for maybe 3 hours and be wide awake again. Doubling the dose didn't help much. Sleep quality wasn't great either, IIRC.

1 mg or 1.5 mg Lorazepam: Best so far. It's gentle and subtle, but if I cooperate it's effective. The only downside is it's resistable (at least at 1 mg). If I'm in the middle of something, it's a little too easy for me to override its attempts to persuade me to nod off. If I take 1.5 mg that seems to work a bit better. Either way, once I'm out it keeps me out for 6 - 7 hours and the quality of sleep seems pretty decent. And no hang over! :yes: