View Full Version : The sensory checklist

fracturedstory
10-25-12, 09:23 PM
This will be very difficult for me to write, as I am on some heavy painkillers, but I'll try.

This website is a check list of the many symptoms in the many categories of sensory processing disorder.

At first I was going to copy and paste it with the symptoms that best fit me in bold, but it's a very long list. So I'll just add the link.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

Basically, apart from hypo sensitivity to taste and smell, I fit a large portion of every category. Some symptoms/ traits I never realised were SPD and I've had them since childhood.

I was very hypo sensitive as a child, though had some hyper sensitivities as well. These days that's polar shifted and I'm very hypersensitive. I think it started in adolescence and got worse after I came off anti-depressants.

Anyway, I'll like to hear what people think. What symptoms they fit. And I'll try to write more about my symptoms too.

Apologies if this has been posted before or nothing I wrote made sense. That happens when they keyboard is giggling at you.

SquarePeg
10-26-12, 04:06 AM
My son is hyposensitive. I only learned of this recently. From babyhood he had to be held all the time, slept in my bed (I miss this!). Had to feel my silk nightclothes on his skin to sleep. In the end I gave it to him!.

Liked being patted on the bottom (quite hard) to go to sleep. (with nappy).
During play he would often get naked and wrap himself in bubblewrap or cardboard.
Likes to sleep in an unmade bed, wrinkled sheets, no sheets, books and crap in the bed.
Doesnīt care if socks donīt fit him and are falling down, wrinkled and uncomfortable or doesnīt wear socks (ie canīt find any as his room is such a mess).
We donīt get a lot of rain here, when we do, if itīs a warm day he likes to get naked in the rain and body surf on the patio. He loves feeling sand, rain, mud and gunk on his bare skin. Body surfing is painful, the patio is so hard.
He doesnīt care if his skin feels "dirty".
Just this summer (he is 14). He cut open a rubber inflatable ring in the swimming pool and and put his whole body into it (like a mermaid). I had to help him as it was so tight, he pulled it all the way up to his chest. (I heard him singing mermaid songs!). IT was so tight he couldnīt walk but he obviously enjoyed the feeling.
It rained heavily last month and the roads and fields were flooded, he took me for a walk, we were knee deep in water and mud, he thought it was the best feeling ever, he was so happy.
We got trapped in the mud once and he took his shoes, socks and trousers off and played in it. AGain it was pure heaven to him.

He is fussy with food though, doesnīt like textures in his mouth, regardless of taste.

I donīt actually understand what this means at all or how it affects him or even if it does affect him.
Do you know?

TygerSan
10-26-12, 09:41 AM
I am a weird mix of hypo and hyper sensitive. . . I used to be hyposensitive when it came to vestibular issues, but therapists worked with me so that now, as an adult I actually *do* get dizzy (swinging will actually make me somewhat motion sick now), but I still love roller coasters.

I like pressure but don't like being tickled. I love the feeling of water on my skin, but can't stand getting out and toweling off.

When I went to a sensory-integration camp as a kid, I was the one who figured out how to unzip the bean-bag chair and climb inside.

And you never want to sneak up behind me and put your hands on my shoulders, as I'm equally likely to either back-hand you inadvertently, or just collapse into a heap on the floor (this is less likely to happen now that I'm older, but I still wouldn't recommend testing it out).

And auditory issues: don't scratch your head around me, please. High pitched whines, like feedback from a microphone or those damned mosquito ring-tones literally set my teeth on edge. I can't stand the sound of certain fabrics rubbing together either.

Lunacie
10-26-12, 10:43 AM
I found that website several years ago and was not at all surprised
to find I have many hypersensitive traits from each list.

They have made my life very difficult.

dogluver358
10-26-12, 12:03 PM
My question is there anything you do for it as an adult? I'm too old for OT I think, but I still struggle a lot especially with sounds. God help me if you start chewing food around me.

scrambled86
10-26-12, 12:28 PM
interesting post, i've never come across these things before.

I meet quite a lot of the hypersensitive to touch ones but then also some of the hyposensitive ones too. (even my senses are a contradiction!)

And some of the poor tactile perception but hyposensitive to movement and sensory seeking.

That was about as far as i read up to. But it was a really interesting discovery of things I'd never considered before.

Shadowmere
11-03-12, 04:52 PM
I'd say that all five of my senses are hypersensitive, especially sight and hearing. While sitting in class I get extremely irritated with noises that other people don't even hear (people breathing heavily, the hum of the AC, the sound of someone erasing something, etc.) and I tend to waste the whole class period looking for some annoying sound I hear. I'm also incredibly light sensitive. I can hardly even see if the lights aren't dimmed, all I see is a glare.

SquarePeg
11-03-12, 05:08 PM
I still donīt understand what these traits mean.

My friendīs daughter is 5 years old and complained that her sock was bothering her. My friend says that she has to have seamless sock, cut all labels out, and she feels the insides of her clothes to see whether the seams will bother her.

Anyway she spent 15 minutes taking her shoe off and inspecting her sock. She then shoved her finger under my nose and said "look there was an eyelash in my sock"!

Lunacie
11-03-12, 06:14 PM
I'd say that all five of my senses are hypersensitive, especially sight and hearing. While sitting in class I get extremely irritated with noises that other people don't even hear (people breathing heavily, the hum of the AC, the sound of someone erasing something, etc.) and I tend to waste the whole class period looking for some annoying sound I hear. I'm also incredibly light sensitive. I can hardly even see if the lights aren't dimmed, all I see is a glare.

There are actually at least seven senses: Tactile, Auditory, Oral, Olfactory, Visual and . . .

Vestibular Sense: input from the inner ear about equilibrium, gravitational changes, movement experiences, and position in space.

Proprioceptive Sense: input from the muscles and joints about body position, weight, pressure, stretch, movement, and changes in position in space.

from the link above

Those are the ones that have made me seem such a klutz my whole life,
and have such a fear of heights and open spaces.

Spacemaster
11-03-12, 06:50 PM
I only copy/pasted the things that apply to me. I have lots of sound issues, and poor coordination.

1. Hypersensitivity To Movement (Over-Responsive):
_fearful of going up or down stairs or walking on uneven surfaces
_ prefers sedentary tasks, moves slowly and cautiously, avoids taking risks, and may appear "wimpy"

3. Poor Muscle Tone And/Or Coordination:

_ frequently slumps, lies down, and/or leans head on hand or arm while working at his/her desk
_ fatigues easily!
_ has poor body awareness; bumps into things, knocks things over, trips, and/or appears clumsy
__ poor gross motor skills; jumping, catching a ball, jumping jacks, climbing a ladder etc.
_ seems to be unsure about how to move body during movement, for example, stepping over something
__ difficulty learning exercise or dance steps

Signs Of Proprioceptive Dysfunction:

_ kicks his/her feet on floor or chair while sitting at desk/table
_ loves to be tightly wrapped in many or weighted blankets, especially at bedtime
__ chews on pens, straws, shirt sleeves etc.

1. Hypersensitivity To Sounds (Auditory Defensiveness):

__ distracted by sounds not normally noticed by others; i.e., humming of lights or refrigerators, fans, heaters, or clocks ticking
__ fearful of the sound of a flushing toilet (especially in public bathrooms), vacuum, hairdryer, squeaky shoes, or a dog barking
__ started with or distracted by loud or unexpected sounds
__ bothered/distracted by background environmental sounds; i.e., lawn mowing or outside construction
__ frequently asks people to be quiet; i.e., stop making noise, talking, or singing
__ runs away, cries, and/or covers ears with loud or unexpected sounds
__ may decide whether they like certain people by the sound of their voice

2. Hyposensitivity To Sounds (Under-Registers):

often does not respond to verbal cues or to name being called
__ seems to have difficulty understanding or remembering what was said
__ appears oblivious to certain sounds
__ appears confused about where a sound is coming from
__ needs directions repeated often, or will say, "What?" frequently

2. Hyposensitivity To Visual Input (Under-Responsive Or Difficulty With Tracking, Discrimination, Or Perception):
__ has difficulty locating items among other items; i.e., papers on a desk, clothes in a drawer, items on a grocery shelf, or toys in a bin/toy box
__ often loses place when copying from a book or the chalkboard
__ often loses his/her place while reading or doing math problems
__ difficulty judging spatial relationships in the environment; i.e., bumps into objects/people or missteps on curbs and stairs

Auditory-Language Processing Dysfunction:
__ unable to locate the source of a sound
__ difficulty identifying people's voices
__ difficulty discriminating between sounds/words; i.e., "dare" and "dear"
__ difficulty filtering out other sounds while trying to pay attention to one person talking
__ bothered by loud, sudden, metallic, or high-pitched sounds
__ difficulty attending to, understanding, and remembering what is said or read; often asks for directions to be repeated and may only be able to understand or follow two sequential directions at a time
__ looks at others to/for reassurance before answering
__ difficulty putting ideas into words (written or verbal)
__ often talks out of turn or "off topic"
__ if not understood, has difficulty re-phrasing; may get frustrated, angry, and give up

Social, Emotional, Play, And Self-Regulation Dysfunction:
Emotional:
__ gets easily frustrated
__ often impulsive
__ functions best in small group or individually
__ prefers to play on the outside, away from groups, or just be an observer

Internal Regulation (The Interoceptive Sense):
__ difficulty in extreme temperatures or going from one extreme to another (i.e., winter, summer, going from air conditioning to outside heat, a heated house to the cold outside)
__ severe/several mood swings throughout the day (angry to happy in short periods of time, perhaps without visible cause)
__ unpredictable state of arousal or inability to control arousal level (hyper to lethargic, quickly, vacillating between the two; over stimulated to under stimulated, within hours or days, depending on activity and setting, etc.)

Oh, I forgot about the being touched thing. I HATE when someone touches me when I'm doing something, and I HATE being kissed on the head/body, and I WILL wipe that off!