View Full Version : New to site, looking for feedback on different schooling options

Lookingforinput
10-31-12, 10:07 AM
Hi -

I have an 8 yo with adhd/anxiety. We have tried several different meds, and are currently trying strattera and lexapro. Dc is in a nurturing, small private school with 17 kids and one teacher in his class. We are getting feedback from the school that they don't know if they can meet dc's needs. They feel he wants/needs/takes up a very disproportionate amount of teacher attention. He can still be impusive, distracted, distracting and doesn't always respond quick enough or appropriately to teacher feedback. They have suggested that an even smaller class size would be a better fit for him, like 10 kids/1 teacher.

The only schools with that type of ratio where we live, are special needs type schools with kids who have what I believe to be more involved issues then my dc, and they are not academically strong - dc is very very bright and I think a school that doesn't challenge him academically will leave that much more room for behavior issues to come up.

So, I am left trying to figure out what to do for/with him. Homeschooling seems like it would be disastrous for us, I work and also think that our relationship would be really damaged by me being his "teacher" in that environment. I sometimes wonder whether he would actually do BETTER in a school with a bigger classroom environment - in private school, the teachers respond to everything he does, rather then just ignoring him. It is like they are almost too nurturing and the more attention you give him, the more he wants/demands. I wonder whether more kids would actually allow him to be more in the background and whether that would help. Or it could be a disaster.

Just looking for other people's thoughts and experiences, thanks.

TygerSan
10-31-12, 11:43 AM
Have you looked into the Lab School? They have a campus in Baltimore as well as one in DC, and they aim to serve bright kids who have learning disabilities, including ADHD.

My only reservation would be that they tend to put a lot of emphasis on the arts, especially the visual arts, so if that's not your kid's strength, I'm not sure he'd be happy there.

LynneC
10-31-12, 01:37 PM
How long has he been taking the current med regimen? Is it likely that he's not at the correct dosage yet?

Does his teacher employ any strategies to help your son with distraction and focus?

SquarePeg
10-31-12, 01:42 PM
I agree that too small a class can lead to too much attention. In a bigger class all kids to little annoying things that get missed. Is he happy at school? I live in Spain and the problem with some private schools here is that they only want high achievers. For some the school is just a business.

Lookingforinput
11-01-12, 12:33 PM
Our son is reasonably happy at school, but the school isn't so happy with him. I am not sure whether he isn't clued in to their unhappiness, or whether it has become normalized for him (i.e. he just expects to get in trouble at this point or have adults unhappy with him).

He has been on meds for awhile but we are now playing around with the dosing to see if we can find something that will work better for him. I don't think meds are a magic bullet though. The Lab School is intriguing, but I had the impression that the student population there was more asperger-y/HFA and am not sure how that would work for our dc socially. I guess my struggle is whether he needs a more or less nurturing environment - i.e. if more nurturing then something like the Lab School would make sense, if less then we should try a larger class size where perhaps his every move would not be quite as scrutinized/addressed. Just feels like a gamble either way!

TygerSan
11-01-12, 01:12 PM
It's quite possible that the student demographic at the Lab School has changed over the last 20 years or so, but my impression was that they had a fair number of kids with language-based learning disabilities (dyslexia/dysgraphia) as well as ADHD. . .