View Full Version : Mindfulness and meditation with ADHD

AWizardDidIt
11-01-12, 02:43 AM
Hi! I feel a little weird starting a thread here seeing as there don't seem to be any others so I hope that's ok . . .

So my therapist introduced me to mindfulness and it's really been a help. One of my worst problems is my inability to break out of bad moods. My ADHD makes it really hard to shift my attention away from strong, often negative feelings and thoughts. I think that mindfulness is going to be the antidote to this and it has helped a bit already. Not that I'm good at it, ESPECIALLY the meditation part of it!

Anyway, I just wanted to hear from any other ADHDers who were into mindfulness (with or without vipassana meditation). Any advice, experiences, stories or other discussion you want to share would be great. :)

SquarePeg
11-01-12, 08:07 AM
Hi, can you explain what you mean, is it the same as awareness? Would be interested to know more.

qanda
11-01-12, 11:22 PM
I thought a therapist would try this with my daughter who has a lot of anxiety, mostly because she listed this as one of her treatments. But she didn't. I've read a lot that it helps with anxiety. Glad it is working for your moods.

ana futura
11-02-12, 12:15 AM
There's a book written for ADD'ers called the Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD by Lidia Zylowska, it comes with a cd of guided meditations as well. I also like John Kabbat Zinn and Thich Nhat Hanh's books.

Here are some other threads on the subject-

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131780

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130156

AWizardDidIt
11-02-12, 02:07 AM
Of course I didn't think to actually do a thread search, haha . . . I just saw this lonely forum!

That book on ADHD and mindfulness sounds great, I'll have to pick that up. I hope the Kindle version comes with a download of the guided meditation CD? I'd be pretty sad if it didn't. It's way easier for me to read a book on my phone than a paper book.

I went to a meditation group tonight. It was kind of weird but I am feeling pretty good afterwards! It's getting easier for me to get into stuff even if I think it's a little corny so it was fine.

meadd823
11-02-12, 03:02 AM
I tend to stick with mindfulness if meditation is part of the picture - In turn I am more likely to keep meditation as a part of my routine practice IF I do so with a group at least twice a month.

I looked up the book by Lidia Zylowska on Amazon and it does come in Kindle. I have considered buying a Kindle or some type of electronic book thing but I would loose my a** if it weren't attached to my back side so I have hesitated fearful of loosing it rapidly after I spend all the money getting it and down loading stuff to it.

Paper back is only $12.98 Think I will get it along with that book about Animals Speak by some one named Farmer - I think I wrote the author's name down in my notebook - Now what did I do with the notebook?

SquarePeg
11-02-12, 03:14 AM
I looked up the book by Lidia Zylowska on Amazon and it does come in Kindle. I have considered buying a Kindle or some type of electronic book thing but I would loose my a** if it weren't attached to my back side so I have hesitated fearful of loosing it rapidly after I spend all the money getting it and down loading stuff to it.

Donīt let that put you off buying a kindle (I have temporarily misplaced it at times, especially if I have taken it out of the house). I love my kindle and the new ones are even better. You can get loads of free and cheap stuff. My cousin sends me loads of book files through email.

ana futura
11-02-12, 04:19 AM
I don't know if the kindle book comes with the audio portion. If you can get the audio with it, awesome! If not, I would get the paper back, as the cd alone is worth the price of the book. It's the best part.

You could probably ask Amazon, or Lidia directly.

ana futura
11-02-12, 04:24 AM
Of course I didn't think to actually do a thread search, haha . . . I just saw this lonely forum!

The forums will only display posts from the last couple days unless you change the settings.

When you click on "meditation and spirituality" see the "display options" box at the bottom? Go to "from the" and change that from "last day" to "beginning".

SquarePeg
11-02-12, 06:06 AM
Just read a quick excerpt of the thread, yet another thing to add to my list of interesting things to read.
Reminds me though the stage uk hypnotist Paul Mckenna who has come up with a program on how to lose weight. THe main principles of this are being mindful and aware of what your eating.
For instance you canīt just grab a back of chips and eat whilst driving or doing any thing. You have to sit down and eat one at a time and really experience what you are eating.

By becoming aware of this a lot of people find they donīt actually want what they are eating (not actually very hungry) or they feel full quicker. It has been shown to be very effective and I can see it working in other areas.

In an ideal world it people would be offered different therapies and courses like this one before or at the same time as meds for things like neurological conditions and mental illness.

At my daughters old school in the uk kids started the lesson giving each other a 5 minute shoulder massage and ended the class with 5 minute run around the playground screaming exercise. It worked great.

SquarePeg
11-02-12, 02:51 PM
Ok so just read a bit more of it and it reminds me very much of my reiki healing courses that I did many years ago. I need to go back to it because it is so beneficial to me. Itīs something that needs a bit of commitment though, to set time aside to practice it.

Simenora
11-02-12, 03:00 PM
i think MBSR class saved my life. Definitely helped with emotional regulation. MBSR= mindfulness based stress reduction

Greenlight
11-04-12, 01:20 PM
I have a question in relation to this post. Although, I do see the value of meditation (and use guided meditations quite regularly) I have significant trouble when it comes to mindfulness because my thoughts and the feelings that come with them are so obsessive and impulsive. It's hard, i guess, to sift the here and now from the chaos. Does anyone else experience this, and if so, how do they work with it?

Unmanagable
11-04-12, 03:40 PM
The Chopra Center is offering another free 21 day guided meditation series, if anyone is interested. It begins tomorrow, Nov. 5th.

You register with your email address, or you can register through facebook.

https://www.chopracentermeditation.com/Bestsellers/LandingPage.aspx?BookId=172

This is the only guided meditation I've found I can be remotely successful with on my own at home.

If you miss a day, they keep them available for a day or two if you want to go back and check them out.

As meadd mentioned, seeking out group meditation is very beneficial.

Our community has a yoga cooperative that recently started hosting group meditations every other week, and there's no set fee, they just ask for donations if you're able to contribute.

While meditating alone has proven to be very beneficial to me, the group meditations have proven to be much more powerful and fulfilling.

AWizardDidIt
11-05-12, 03:34 AM
The forums will only display posts from the last couple days unless you change the settings.

When you click on "meditation and spirituality" see the "display options" box at the bottom? Go to "from the" and change that from "last day" to "beginning".

:eek: Well now I feel extra dumb, haha. I don't think any of the other forums default that way for me . . . weird.

I'm asking if the Kindle version has the audio with it, hopefully I'll get an answer soon.

I don't actually have a Kindle, I just use the app on my phone. I hate paper books besides textbooks maybe. They're awkward to hold and you have to carry them around with you if you want to read them. Plus I find the pages themselves distracting, how your "progress" is charted by where your bookmark is. I'm probably crazy but I like how on my phone it's just reading and I don't have to worry about paper.

You can meditate even if you have a crazy ADD brain. There is no "success" at meditation, the only failure is not even trying. If your thoughts keep shifting you just make note of it and keep trying to focus. For me the point of trying to focus is mostly just to have a "reference" so that I can see all the other thoughts floating around. You're always working towards being able to just settle into your breath and not think about anything else but even if you don't do that it's still very valuable to be able to see what your brain is doing. It's usually very calming and relaxing too either way.

The main book that helped me is this one, Mindfulness in Plain English (http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html). It's basically a handbook on the how and why of mindfulness meditation. It's free too so you have almost no reason to not check it out at least a little bit. :D

Unmanagable
11-06-12, 01:49 AM
I happened upon this article tonight and wanted to share:

http://truththeory.com/2012/10/31/the-science-behind-good-vibes-how-mindfulness-actually-works/

The researchers identified several cognitive functions that are active in the brain during mindfulness practice. These cognitive functions help a person develop self-awareness, self-regulation, and self-transcendence (S-ART) which make up the transformative framework for the mindfulness process.

The S-ART framework explains the underlying neurobiological mechanisms by which mindfulness can facilitate self-awareness; reduce biases and negative thoughts; enhance the ability to regulate one’s behavior; and increase positive, pro-social relationships with oneself and others-all-in-all creating a sustainable healthy mind.

The researchers highlight six neuropsychological processes that are active mechanisms in the brain during mindfulness and which support S-ART. These processes include 1) intention and motivation, 2) attention regulation, 3) emotion regulation, 4) extinction and reconsolidation, 5) pro-social behavior, and 6) non-attachment and de-centering.

In other words, these processes begin with an intention and motivation to want to attain mindfulness, followed by an awareness of one’s bad habits. Once these are set, a person can begin taming him or herself to be less emotionally reactive and to recover faster from upsetting emotions.

Simenora
11-06-12, 01:53 AM
Gotta go start that 21 day meditation challenge. Beeper on my phonewent off 2 times already

Unmanagable
11-06-12, 02:10 AM
Gotta go start that 21 day meditation challenge. Beeper on my phonewent off 2 times already

It's still on my to-do list, too. :)

Simenora
11-06-12, 02:22 AM
It's still on my to-do list, too. :)

You can do it UN, I'm just gonna write in my 1 sentance journal, I've lit some candles and incense and ill be on my way!!!!

AWizardDidIt
11-07-12, 01:57 AM
Is that 21-day thing mindfulness meditation or some other kind? I couldn't quite tell from looking at it.

Unmanagable
11-07-12, 05:42 AM
Here's a brief video from Deepak Chopra that may answer your question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RvtDFfLFIk

The 21 day offer is comprised of guided meditations (most are 15 min. long - they guide you through it verbally, you set your intention, silently repeat a mantra, have some quiet meditation time, and then it's over - I find this style helpful in keeping my attention and interest) that also provides a place to keep a journal about your experience, if you'd like.

It's a great opporunity to just check it out and see if it works for you.

My personal experience, when I tried to determine which meditation style, etc. was right for me based on definition only, I didn't have much luck finding a meaningful experience.

Hope this is helpful.

meadd823
11-08-12, 04:29 AM
Some folks do well with guided meditations and other like myself do not - Every now and then I will stick to the guide but most of the time by sentence three I am off on my own sort of journey - While every one else is becoming a flower I am flying on top of a dragon and disappearing into nothingness - Ehh it works for me!

I struggle to follow my own grand plans never mind be able to follow any one else's - I do the intention thing as a means of formulating an obtainable goal because not having designation is one of the areas I am trying to cope with

If you can reach your goal more often than not and if the practice is having an over all positive effect upon your life then go with what is you!

Don't try to cram yourself into some unrealistic expectation - accept who you are and work with in that.

I also enjoy shamanism and while many of the ladies have these wonderfully vivid symbols and elaborate visuals my answers come to me in impressions, which tend to be straight forward and take half the time. I felt "less than" at first Spiritual journeys are not a competition , there isn't a greater than less than thing, there is no one right way for every one - The right way may have to be modified but that is fine as long as it works for you - Ability wise I hold my own meaning my way works for me and other people have other ways of reaching that place of inner knowing - and that is okay! Diversity is a wonderful thing

Most who teach meditation to the public are offering up general ideas on practices that work for the majority , lessons offer folks a starting point.