View Full Version : History Class...

fluffpuffgerbil
11-01-12, 03:23 AM
I'll start this out by saying I don't know if I have ADD or not, but I highly suspect it.

Well, I'll get straight to the point... I have no clue what I'm going to do about history class.

I'm lucky I've got a C so far, but I completely failed a unit test we had and got a 50% on it. I guessed the whole way through. I can't retain what I read during history, I can't focus when my teacher is talking about it, and then when I TRY to read it, it takes SO LONG to get through one PARAGRAPH and I can never comprehend it or retain it. =( I have a quiz on this chapter tomorrow and I've not read the chapter yet.... I don't know if I will or not.
Ugh, school's so hard and I don't know what to do about history. I try to read the summaries first, but I lose focus, I get distracted, I don't retain any of the few sentence summaries, ect,.... It's terrible.
I don't want to fail history class(and I'm also having similar troubles in English, and troubles with writing papers, too. -_-) but I can't focus. I've never liked history, I find it incredibly dull, and since I have 0 interest, it's REALLY hard to focus on it.
Don't know what I'm going to do about the unit test coming up next week considering I skipped one of the chapters(and got a 5/8 on the quiz... but I got an A- on the worksheet seeing as I was able to use the book).

I just don't know what to do. It'd be so easy to give up, but my parents would never allow that and I'd feel so guilty. ='(

sarahsweets
11-01-12, 05:12 AM
What makes you suspect you have adhd?

SquarePeg
11-01-12, 06:16 AM
Like sarah says what else makes you suspect? Struggling in a few classes, especially ones where you have very little interest is pretty normal. And history requires a lot of memorising. so what else is going on?

I canīt recall but I think youīve posted other things as well.

ps My adhd son enjoys history and geography and I canīt figure out why. His horrid teacher took off a mark for his maps (blank outlined map and he writes in the countries) because he wrote in pen rather than pencil.
:(

fluffpuffgerbil
11-01-12, 03:07 PM
I don't know, I guess. I just have a /TON/ of the symptoms and, even if some of you don't like them, I've taken some of those quizzes/tests(Which I know aren't diagnoses) and have scored over 90 out of 100 on them, and in one ADD book my friend has, it had a self test in there and I scored 100% in the inattentive section.

I'm always losing things, I have a lack of motivation to get things done, I can't focus on reading, I'm always starting new projects only to get bored and move onto something else, I have a lot of pets, but cleaning their cages and remembering when to feed some of them can be difficult, I don't know. I know there's something wrong mentally, but I'm not sure what. I'm pretty positive because I can just /feel/ there's something wrong, and the whole side of my mom's family has either anxiety, depression, bipolar, or OCD. My mom said that she's got anxiety and mild depression(both of which I can tell) but she's never been diagnosed or done anything about it.

I'm just feeling really frustrated with the school system I suppose... I don't know. *shrug*

And yeah, I did make another thread like a week ago or something(can't remember.) in the depression section. plfdsfa fdka so irritated.

But I like to lurk on these forums and stuff and I relate to most of what I read on here.

I guess I should stop thinking about this sort of stuff since I can't do anything about it anyway. It's just hard I guess to try to forget about it and try to focus on something else

Silvermoonstone
11-08-12, 12:05 AM
There's actually two sides of ADHD - inattentiveness and hyperfocus. Sometimes you can't pay attention, but other times if a topic really interests you, nothing else will matter around you.

Only way to know for sure is to get a psychological evaluation, and until that happens, you might have ADHD, or you might not. It might even be something else.

If you're having trouble reading though, this might help: Take a piece of paper/ruler and place it against the book, moving it down as you read the lines. It visually breaks up the paragraphs so it looks more like several smaller pieces instead of one big piece.

Same with writing papers. Segment them into little bits. Write 2 small intros, 5 body pieces, 2 conclusion pieces. Then stick em all together.

btw: I hated history too. I can never remember dates and names. >.>;

fluffpuffgerbil
11-08-12, 01:14 AM
Yes, I'm aware of the two sides. I definitely relate to that. I'll be so involved in a project when my mom tells me to to homework I get really upset and angry about it. =/

And yep, that won't happen for awhile, so I'll just live with the uncertainty for the moment.

In the meantime I'll try to pass the unit history test tomorrow. =,=

I usually will follow the words with my finger, oh and it also helps to read the stuff in my head picturing it in a voice that's not mine, like a favourite or even random anime character, xD

fluffpuffgerbil
11-10-12, 12:29 AM
Good news/random update.

I had my unit test today and managed to get a C-.

Actually, at first I had a D, but two questions my teacher decided to take off the test since the answers and questions were really strange

and two of my answers were correct, but marked wrong on the scantron, plus we were allowed to correct 8 things we got wrong. I was only able to get 4 corrections done, but the two

questions taken off, the two mismarked, and the 4 corrects bumped my score up to a C-. SO HAPPY I PASSEd, but not sure HOW. xD The thing was over 3 chapters, and I only read one

of them. The other two, the night before the test, I looked through them, marked down the important bold-faced terms, went to the chapter summaries in the back of the chapter and

wrote those down, and then rewrote a couple things on the chapter worksheets(to help remember those things) and I did better than last time. Still not sure how though.

But I was sure ticked off at the girls who were complaining about the Bs they got on the test. =,= I told them I would have cried tears of joy if I had gotten that high of a grade.

My class grade is still a C though, but I still have NO CLUE why it is because I feel like I'm doing terrible on that stuff. I almost always get D's or F's on the quizzes(mainly due to not

retaining what I read or not reading the chapter... it's such a CHORE I want to cry everytime I need to read it), but when we get the chapter worksheets afterwards, we're able to use

the books, and doing that w/ my friend has gotten me an A on the last few worksheets...Plus some extra credit, I guess that that balances everything enough to give me a C. It's like... a
miracle.

But the school year's still early and I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm so glad I didn't get an F though

Lillianmay
11-10-12, 05:28 PM
Do you have a school counselor? You could go talk to that person and tell them your struggles. I would not say that you think you have ADHD. Just tell them your concentration problems, how often you have to read things through and your trouble with comprehension. Let them know you are putting in the study time but not getting results and it is scaring and worrying you.

The first thought might be that you have a learning disability, but while they are looking at that they will probably consider ADHD too. They might recommend an educational evaluation. I don’t know if schools can bring in a psychologist to do that at your level. I know colleges and universities often provide the testing. Get some adults involved and see what happens