View Full Version : Too many meds?

tambourine-man
11-02-12, 03:14 PM
I have Autism Spectrum Disorder, ADHD, and PTSD. I take eight pills per day; an SSRI (Prozac); a stimulant (Dexedrine Spansules); a benzodiazepine (Klonopin); and an antipsychotic (Seroquel). Now I'm doing rather well on this regimen but it seems a bit extreme. Granted, I do have some extreme symptoms to treat.

Nevertheless, I've spent most of my life (at least since early adolesence) on one med cocktail or another and now I feel I could never function without them. I've suffered agonizing side-effects and have had my turn with nearly every psych med out there. I tolerate the ones I'm currently taking quite well but it worries me to think I may spend the rest of my life on these medications.

Insights? Anyone else require a small pharmacy to get through each day? I feel like Michael Jackson.

silivrentoliel
11-02-12, 04:55 PM
with something like ADHD alone, we're pretty much doomed to be medicated our whole lives and functioning, or unmedicated and barely squeaking by.

It doesn't actually seem extreme, but I agree, 8 pills a day is a bit daunting.

If you're doing OK on them, I wouldn't worry about it. Everything you listed is a disorder... they don't go away like diseases. It sucks, but that's just the hand we were dealt.

Lunacie
11-02-12, 05:09 PM
My granddaughter has Autism Spectrum Disorder.

She is also taking 4 kinds of meds each day.

Risperidone (mood stabilizer) 3/day
Escitalopram (generic Lexapro for anxiety) 1/day
Trazadone (sleep aid) 1/night
Trinessa (birth control) 1/day

She also wears eyeglasses and I expect that she always will have to.
I wouldn't be surprised if she has to take medication the rest of her life too.

I won't have to take meds as long as you kids since I'm already over 60.
I take both meds and supplements and don't plan to stop as long as they help me.
Taking this many pills each day is something I really resisted doing until about
a year ago.

Lotensin (ace inhibitor for hypertension) 1/day
Omega 3 (mental focus and hearth health) 2/day
Sertraline (generic Zoloft for anxiety and depression) 1/day
B Complex and Magnesium (migraine disorder) 1/day
Calcium + D3 pill (bone health) 2/day
Trazadone (sleep aid) 1/night

ampakine
02-01-13, 03:20 PM
How long have you been on the clonazepam and fluoxetine?

salleh
02-01-13, 04:40 PM
I know it's hard to come to the realazation ( boy can't figure out how to spell that word today )

that you are stuck with these meds for the rest of your life ......and what's more .....it hits you occasionally all over again .....

if you have found the group of meds with the least side effects, or at least ones you can tolerate .....you have come a long way way ......lots of trials .....

I say .....don't worry about it ....just be glad you finally found the meds that work .....your conditions aren't ones that will go away, as someone else just mentioned .....so if they are conditions that are hurting your ability to deal with life, ......then they are conditions that you want to address .....( hello condition !)

ipso facto .....you need all those meds .....

and HI Tam .....how's it going with you lately ??? haven't seen you around much .....

ampakine
02-01-13, 09:50 PM
I don't want to worry anyone, but from researching peoples withdrawal experiences, it appears that sometimes meds stop working after being on them for years. When you stop taking them then, you still have to face withdrawals. Thats why you should actively work towards ensuring you don't become physically dependant on the meds you're on. Take regular breaks from them if possible. Take substances to counteract tolerance and minimise damage done by the meds.

The OP is on some pretty heavy meds (loads of people are on more than that though, I'm not saying its an extreme case or anything). I know very little about fluoxetine and quetiapine but 3mg of clonazepam daily would be hard to get off if you'd been on it for years. I don't mean tolerance, I mean they just stop working for some reason. I actually experienced this with trazodone after being on it for only 3 months on and off. I was using it to sleep and eventually, it started giving me insomnia rather than knocking me out. When I stopped taking it, I started sleeping normally again. I know fluoxetine and quetiapine withdrawals are no joke either. With all that said, some people stay on a steady dose of meds their whole lives and they continue to work fine for them. Theres no reason to suspect that the OP will be an exception but its best to prepare for the worst. If worst comes to worst in the future, you'll be mighty glad that you took action now. Research heavily. NMDA antagonists seem to counteract tolerance for a wide range of drugs. I believe they work for benzo tolerance and I know they work for amphetamine tolerance. Not sure about SSRIs or atypical antipsychotics, I recommend researching that.

ana futura
02-01-13, 10:10 PM
Looking at that list I wonder what you'd be like unmedicated- there are so many things there I wonder if med a is just treating the side effects of med b and so on.

It's a shame you don't really have a baseline- I assume it would take some time for you to have an idea of what your unmedicated norm is, and I imagine it would be very unpleasant to get to that point.

Do you trust your psychiatrist and have a good relationship with them? Where you medicated against your will when you were younger? Do you think it was a good idea for you back then?