View Full Version : "ZZZ-Quil?"

ONLY DESTROYER
11-03-12, 04:34 PM
I was just at a local convenience store to see....

"A non-habit" forming sleep-aid. What do you think?

My parents and girlfriend who intends to be a doctor does not suggest it because it is not good for me. How so?

I just want to take it on days I really cannot sleep because of my adderall.

:(

TygerSan
11-03-12, 06:11 PM
I'm willing to bet that it's just a dose of an antihistamine, probably either Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or Doxylamine.

namazu
11-03-12, 07:37 PM
I'm willing to bet that it's just a dose of an antihistamine, probably either Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or Doxylamine.
Ding! Ding! Ding! :yes:

From the product website: "ZzzQuil is an over-the-counter (OTC) sleep-aid that contains diphenhydramine HCl."

Spacemaster
11-03-12, 08:18 PM
All it is, is Benadryl. You can buy a bottle of cheap generic benadryl, without wasting money on an advertising scam. Tylenol PM is just benadryl and tylenol.

It's all just another way to make people spend money on new products, and they know that many people don't bother comparing the active ingredients.

Drewbacca
11-05-12, 07:05 PM
Be prepared for a lingering effect... I can't take it without blocking out 12 hours for sleep/rest. If your body reacts as mine does, it will only work on days where you really want to catch up on lost sleep; the stuff knocks me out.

Also, if you take any SSRIs be aware of the potential for serotonin syndrome from the benadryl.

ONLY DESTROYER
11-29-12, 10:22 PM
Shoot! I need sleeping medication that does not make me drowsy in the morning!

Amtram
11-30-12, 12:41 PM
I'd be willing to bet that if you compared the active ingredients list on the back of that and regular Ny-Quil, you wouldn't see a difference. . .

HighFunctioning
12-04-12, 09:08 PM
I believe regular Ny-Quil contains doxylamine, not diphenhydramine (as in ZZZ-quil). Still, it's clearly an attempt to make a new product out of an existing drug. It actually doesn't make sense to put a different active ingredient in it because it seems that they would be mainly attracting those who use regular Ny-Quil for the same purpose.

Spacemaster
12-04-12, 10:32 PM
Nyquil also contains other ingredients, like dextromethorphan for coughing, and acetaminophen (tylenol)

Nyquil ZZZ is billed as just a sleep aid, without the other ingredients. Ok, fine, but so long as you don't mind paying extra money for hyped-up Benadryl.

They make it sound like a "new" thing, because they know that most people don't read the back of the bottle, and most people don't realise that diphenhydramine=benadryl.

It's ingenious, really. They've fooled a lot of people.

Spacemasters pharmacy challenge:

Look at the ingredients in the various Excedrin products. I.E, Migraine, Tension Headache, regular Excedrin, etc.

How many are the same?

*cough*marketingscam *cough*

HighFunctioning
12-04-12, 11:13 PM
Tension headache has 500mg acetaminophen, clearly more than the others!

Spacemaster
12-05-12, 12:16 AM
It is true, that not every variety of excedrin is the same, but they are extremely similar.

The point is,I have seen a great many people pick out over the counter medications, without looking at the ingredients on the back. I get it, you're sick, you want relief and you want to go home. But, it's always a great idea to ask the pharmacy about any medication that you aren't familiar with.

I do say "consult your pharmacist" a lot, I do work in a pharmacy. Anyway, there are lots of things to learn. You could learn to save a few bucks, like not falling for the ZZZ Quil thing, and you can be sure that you don't have any bad interactions with other medications, and what things not to waste your time with.

Back to the ZZZ Quil. It's main ingredient, diphenhydramine, isn't approved for everyone. Seniors should avoid taking it for more than a few days. It can worsen glaucoma, cause high blood pressure, and cause dizziness.

ZZZ Quil is presented as this simple little drug you take, to just help you sleep. Despite the label "temporary relief", many people take this every night, indefinitely. Many times, they aren't aware of a drug's risk, because it's Over the Counter.

The moral of my soapbox sermon: Ask even about things that look "safe", you never know. You might save a few dollars, or even avoid inadvertently harming yourself.

Retromancer
12-05-12, 06:19 AM
I noticed in the list of "non active" ingredients our good friend ethanol. No percentage given. Alcohol is an essential part of Nyquil as any maintenance user will tell you.

Amtram
12-05-12, 08:52 PM
And for some of us, any kind of antihistamines mean less sleep, not more.

Plognark
12-10-12, 05:18 PM
Not really relevant to the actual discussion, but this might be one of the most annoying advertising gimmicks I've ever had the displeasure of coming across.

"Hey guys, I got an idea, let's capitalize on the reputation of NyQuil to sell cheap Benadryl at an absurd markup!"