View Full Version : Not sure if condcut disorder or something else...

WorriedSister
11-03-12, 11:05 PM
So I'm not posting up here about myself, I have a 12 year old brother who I am greatly worried about and I need to find out what's wrong with him. (Hence the name)

My brother is 12 years old, and has had been diagnosed with ADHD since 2007 or 2008. (I think)
Well in the last couple of years, our parents divorced, and we moved in with our father and his new wife. Ever since we moved in, he has been having these break downs where he throws stuff around, hits people, and mainly, hits himself. He'll hit himself in his head, bang his head off of a wall, or even go as far as pulling his hair out.
I moved out to my mothers last June so now he's living with his stepmother, her daughter, and our father.
On some weekends he comes over and vistis my mom, half brother, step father and I. Well this weekend, he came over, and his our was supposed to pick him up.
I had a friend over and my brother was talking quite weird to my friend. He was cursing a lot, and was acting just... unsual.
So our father comes over, and tries to take him home, he freaks out hardcore, screaming, kicking, and threatening to kill himself.
After my mother calmed him down and got some medicine in his system (I'm not sure if he had his medicine or not that day, this could be why he acted this way, but even when he does take his medicine he'll flip out like that) he said he couldn't remember him doing a lot of the things he did. Basically, he blacked out.
My question is, is this a normal conduct disorder, or could this be something more? I'm really worried that one day this will happen again and he'll hurt someone else really badly if not himself. Please help!

Simenora
11-04-12, 01:06 AM
somebody needs to talk to doc about this.

sarahsweets
11-04-12, 06:45 AM
This does not sound normal. What is his diagnosis?

Lunacie
11-04-12, 11:06 AM
So I'm not posting up here about myself, I have a 12 year old brother who I am greatly worried about and I need to find out what's wrong with him. (Hence the name)

My brother is 12 years old, and has had been diagnosed with ADHD since 2007 or 2008. (I think)

Well in the last couple of years, our parents divorced, and we moved in with our father and his new wife. Ever since we moved in, he has been having these break downs where he throws stuff around, hits people, and mainly, hits himself. He'll hit himself in his head, bang his head off of a wall, or even go as far as pulling his hair out.

I moved out to my mothers last June so now he's living with his stepmother, her daughter, and our father.

On some weekends he comes over and vistis my mom, half brother, step father and I. Well this weekend, he came over, and his our was supposed to pick him up.

I had a friend over and my brother was talking quite weird to my friend. He was cursing a lot, and was acting just... unsual.

So our father comes over, and tries to take him home, he freaks out hardcore, screaming, kicking, and threatening to kill himself.

After my mother calmed him down and got some medicine in his system (I'm not sure if he had his medicine or not that day, this could be why he acted this way, but even when he does take his medicine he'll flip out like that) he said he couldn't remember him doing a lot of the things he did. Basically, he blacked out.

My question is, is this a normal conduct disorder, or could this be something more? I'm really worried that one day this will happen again and he'll hurt someone else really badly if not himself. Please help!

First thought . . . on top of the divorce causing changes and emotional upheaval . . .

he's starting to be affected by puberty. He may be a little young for that, maybe not.

Is he getting any therapy?

Research shows that meds + therapy is more effective than either one alone.

Given the other issues he is dealing with, I think therapy could be helpful.

And he needs to be taking his meds every day at the same time, eating a good diet,
and getting enough sleep.

Not taking meds, not eating well, not sleeping well can all make anyone have a bad day.

And he may need to have the diagnosis revisited to see if there are other issues

that should be addressed: like Asperger's or a conduct disorder like ODD.

I wish you and your brother the best - he needs both parents to work together to help him.