View Full Version : Is the medication worth it?

adhdisanexcuse
11-04-12, 12:04 AM
I have been diagnosed with adhd since I was in in third grade. I was then put on the drugs at a very young age without knowing what i'm taking and the possible long term effects. So my parents decided that instead of teaching me how to behave and putting in more time to help me with school, they would put me on ritilan. At first I was put on addarel (if that is how it is spelled), but that made me have depression and I had to switch to ritilan. I have often wondered why I have not been growing as fast as the other children when i was younger, but i have figured out why that happened and a lot of other things that have happened over the years...

I do not want to get too in depth so I will make this short. I have not had a positive high school experience, and I have now figured out why I lost the motivation for everyhing, unless I am interested in it and I can relate (like this thread I am creating). I have also developed alot of awkward defensive mechanisms when socializing, but I have been trying to get over them in the years (while I am still on ritilan) but it is still hard and I sometimes have to fake alot of emotions because they are not there. I soon realize that ritilan is equivilent to the street drug "speed", but the Pychicians do not tell you that when you prescribe ritilan to your kid. I plan on not taking the medication even if my parents try to make me as of tomorrow.

~~~Will continue later, so please respond if you have even the slightest clue what I am saying~~~

Silvermoonstone
11-04-12, 01:23 AM
Personally I never liked the idea of kids getting medicated...I'd wish more people would wait until their adulthood before they start taking meds. When you're an adult you can at least understand the full effect of what's going on with the meds. Can't imagine how much pressure it goes on the kid.

From my experience, meds help me a lot when I need to do a load of work. It's really your choice, based on your lifestyle. If you're in a fast-paced lifestyle that requires plenty of attention, then the meds will help immensely. But if not, then you don't need them.

SquarePeg
11-04-12, 05:03 AM
Ideally adhd drugs should be prescribed as an additional treatment, inconjunction with therapies or learning strategies, extra one to ont tuition etc to help the child.

They also need to be monitored carefully to see whether they are benefiting the child and that there are no unwanted side effect. They are not a "fix everything" drug but rather a tool, many adhd sufferers still have problems despite taking meds.

How old are you? Seems like you could do with talking things over with your parents and telling them how you feel. You may need a different dose or a different med.

SO please talk to your parents rather than stop taking them so that you can get the help you need.

sarahsweets
11-04-12, 06:40 AM
Personally I never liked the idea of kids getting medicated...I'd wish more people would wait until their adulthood before they start taking meds. When you're an adult you can at least understand the full effect of what's going on with the meds. Can't imagine how much pressure it goes on the kid.

From my experience, meds help me a lot when I need to do a load of work. It's really your choice, based on your lifestyle. If you're in a fast-paced lifestyle that requires plenty of attention, then the meds will help immensely. But if not, then you don't need them.

Statistics show that unmedicated adhd even in childhood leads to depression, drug and alcohol abuse, poor self esteem, risk taking behavior and as children become teenagers and young adults, legal troubles. Its very easy to say kids shouldn't be medicated when you don't have kids with adhd. Why anyone would say that a child who is suffering trying to live up to their potential shouldn't take medication is an uniformed person. I think a majority of us would not have had our lives so damaged if we had access to medication as children.

My son was medicated at age 4. He's 16 now, in honors classes, 6ft tall thinking of college. When he was young I wondered if he would even graduate high-school. My live would have been a whole lot easier if I had been medicated as a child. I could have avoided years of sh*t and feelings of worthlessness if I had had the chance at treatment. Until you've dealt with a child, your flesh, suffering from a disorder they cannot control you can't really make a statement like that and be taken seriously.

Silvermoonstone
11-04-12, 07:09 AM
Statistics show that unmedicated adhd even in childhood leads to depression, drug and alcohol abuse, poor self esteem, risk taking behavior and as children become teenagers and young adults, legal troubles. Its very easy to say kids shouldn't be medicated when you don't have kids with adhd. Why anyone would say that a child who is suffering trying to live up to their potential shouldn't take medication is an uniformed person. I think a majority of us would not have had our lives so damaged if we had access to medication as children.

My son was medicated at age 4. He's 16 now, in honors classes, 6ft tall thinking of college. When he was young I wondered if he would even graduate high-school. My live would have been a whole lot easier if I had been medicated as a child. I could have avoided years of sh*t and feelings of worthlessness if I had had the chance at treatment. Until you've dealt with a child, your flesh, suffering from a disorder they cannot control you can't really make a statement like that and be taken seriously.

Wow, I guess I was one of the lucky ones then. Even with my severe case I made it all the way until college without meds. That, and I just tend to read up on quite different things here on the forums.

Guess I spoke a bit too early, sorry.

lalapin
11-04-12, 08:48 AM
1) you have the right to feel well and no one can force you to take meds, especially with ADHD (it's not like you're going to die if you din't take it or you won't just go in the street and kill people on purpose when you stop those meds). You clearly don't seem to be enjoying the way you feel right now.

2) I take Concerta which is an extended release form of Ritalin and i'm still having emotions and still able to express them normally. I think what you mentionned is not something that should happen with meds.

I'm all with you about stopping because you are not feeling good. But definitely you should go see your Dr about stopping or trying a different kind of meds and you should also do therapy as meds alone just won't be enough.

Good luck !

Lunacie
11-04-12, 10:41 AM
Kids with ADHD who are unmedicated or otherwise untreated are much

more likely than their NT peers of dropping out of school, getting in trouble

with the law, having a teen pregnancy, getting hurt or crashing a car or a

whole bunch of other things. And social skills are much more difficult.

The side effects of no-treatment can actually be worse and longer lasting

than the side effects of medication.

If someone doesn't like the side effects that medication is causing them,

they can change the dosage or try a different medication.

There are more options than just Ritalin and Adderall.

Therapy + medication has been shown to be the most effective treatment.

Drewbacca
11-04-12, 01:14 PM
I soon realize that ritilan is equivilent to the street drug "speed", but the Pychicians do not tell you that when you prescribe ritilan to your kid.

Physicians don't tell you this, because it isn't true. They are similar, but they are not the same. Based on this logic, you should avoid any cough/cold medicine with sudafed/pseudoephedrine because it's "equivalent to a street drug." Not only are they chemically different, but the dosage of the illegal drug is significantly higher than what is prescribed for therapeutic use. Where are you getting your information from?

SpaceBaby
11-04-12, 01:40 PM
Muhahahah.. I don't mean to laugh, but some people just parrot phoney information. Just like some people who act like TV is the only thing that could contribute to attention problems...

elpro
11-07-12, 01:28 AM
Proper dosing of a drug can be the difference difference between therapy and abuse. Sure, you can get super high on stimulant ADHD medications. You can also die from taking too much ibuprofen.

Plognark
11-07-12, 10:43 AM
Proper dosing of a drug can be the difference difference between therapy and abuse. Sure, you can get super high on stimulant ADHD medications. You can also die from taking too much ibuprofen.

For perspective, Tylenol is the most commonly overdosed mediation in the U.S.

In proper doses it relieves pain. In excessively high doses it destroys your liver.

Similar example is botox. It's an extremely deadly poison. It relaxes your muscles to the point that your heart will stop beating.

But in tiny amounts it's an excellent muscle relaxer. Therapeutically it's used to relieve muscle spasms in the back and neck that don't respond to anything else. The cosmetic use is just a heavily marketed afterthought.

ginniebean
11-07-12, 10:49 AM
Hey kiddo,

I'm sorry you feel you've had a bad experience and that you feel you're just lazy. I wish I could show you how wrong that is but right now that's probably not something that's going to work.

In answer to your question, "are meds worth it" the answer is YES. The evidence is in, it's overwhelming. Medication is the first line of treatment, and it has saved lives.

People don't take adhd seriously because they cannot see how much damage it causes. Someone said it won't kill anyone if they don't get medication and that''s actually wrong.

People with ADHD sustain more injuries, are in more fatal car accidents and the rate of teen suicide is higher.

I know you've got a struggle in front of you but before you abuse yourself by making this a moral character deficit take some time to learn about a disorder you were born with. Do some reading, find out just what you're up against.

lalapin
11-07-12, 06:43 PM
Someone said it won't kill anyone if they don't get medication and that''s actually wrong.

People with ADHD sustain more injuries, are in more fatal car accidents and the rate of teen suicide is higher.

I'm the one who said that. I agree with what you say as well if we see it more in a global perspective. But it's not a matter of life -vs- death like heart meds or diabetes meds. Taking meds reduces the risk of death by accident/suicide. I won't die tomorrow if I skip my meds. I would be at a higher risk of having an accident which could result in death if I choose to drive. And most of us here on the forum only started meds as adults so... we grew up into adulthood unmedicated and ALIVE (of course with a lower quality of life etc...) but we are physically alive. And there are alternatives for meds, think of all those people with ADHD who cannot use meds because of health conditions etc...

BellaVita
11-07-12, 07:18 PM
I'm wondering myself if meds are still worth it...it's always been an annoying struggle to get the dosages right and sometimes it feels the meds don't want to be in my body or something. Eh, that didn't make much sense.

But anyways! I'm at a loss because I've tried going without and I turn into a day-dreamy hyper mess!

I have to say though, changing my diet (more healthy!) has drastically improved alot of my symtoms. However, diet alone/exercise/good habits are still not enough(for me).

Sorry for the meaningless ramble..my mind has been in another another world today. (My escape-from-stress defense mechanism lol.)

Hyperman87
11-08-12, 05:07 PM
Yeah, it's worth it believe me!:) Even if you get some nasty side effects(which are usually pretty rare),good news is there are often numerous medications that act like anti-side effect meds. Some people take what's called beta-blockers for a fast heart rate,& there are many other medications both for ADHD & to help control side effects from some of the drugs for it. So yeah if it's severe then it's totally worth it to stay with the medication. It all depends on how badly it impacts your life & for many people here we'd stand by taking the meds.

Hyperman87
11-08-12, 05:25 PM

If I may, I would like to add that I feel like I'm on both sides of the coin here.So I somewhat agree with your statement. However, there are cases in which even when a person isn't doing anything particularly important.If a person is so hyperactive, so impulsive, so inattentive & restless that it could lead to their injury, incarceration, deterioration of health, disruption to peace of mind, unemployment, damage to relationships, or death.They should be treated as it just isn't a very good life otherwise.Some grown adults are actually so restless & hyper it's just impossible for them to remain still.

Flory
11-08-12, 05:34 PM
despite having an adhd diagnosis (severe) in childhood, i was unmedicated (its very different over here in the uk, because i was on anti depresants etc they didnt want to prescribe stims etc etc)instead opting for f**king cbt...try getting an unmedicated hyperactive child to sit and take anything away from a 1 hour cbt session and you'll soon see what im getting at...

At 15 i was expelled from school, i had no qualifications....zip frigging zero, i have been fired from countless jobs, failed various courses, poor social skills, have had co-morbid mental health conditions; OCD, Anorexia Nervosa, Depression& Anxiety. As a child i have been in countless accidents, many visists to a&e, subject of bullying, social isolation.. i have been run over 3 times before the age of 18 due to impulsivity issues.

i am now homeless, no money in the bank, scary *** debt collectors on my tail and am in no position to work....I am living proof that in cases like mine...adhd medication should be initiated as soon as is clinically possible...i cant explain to you the bittersweet feeling of getting my script feeling symptoms improve but on the other side of the coin thinking how much better things might have been./should have been if i'd received treatment as a child....

My consultant and other proffessionals that treat me now were literally shocked and disgusted at how my childhood paediatricians and carers failed to treat me correctly, my parents and GP's have literally begged and begged for help since i was 6/7 Years old my parents were exhausted and in a constant state just trying to manage myself let alone my brothers.

At 22 i received my first script...it may not be a total fix, yes i am still symptomatic on meds, but it's a damn site better than when im unmedicated....it really is worth it...for me in any case

ginniebean
11-08-12, 05:58 PM
I'm the one who said that. I agree with what you say as well if we see it more in a global perspective. But it's not a matter of life -vs- death like heart meds or diabetes meds. Taking meds reduces the risk of death by accident/suicide. I won't die tomorrow if I skip my meds. I would be at a higher risk of having an accident which could result in death if I choose to drive. And most of us here on the forum only started meds as adults so... we grew up into adulthood unmedicated and ALIVE (of course with a lower quality of life etc...) but we are physically alive. And there are alternatives for meds, think of all those people with ADHD who cannot use meds because of health conditions etc...

I'm one of those people who can't tolerate medication because of side effects. The inability to take meds may not kill me outright, and unlike some medical conditions no not taking meds isn't fatal. Yet, it does affect the quality of my life every day. I know this because I used to be able to take meds, my life is much much harder now. And you're right, those people who died, or are imprisoned etc... they aren't on this forum to discuss their experience. And you know, people with adhd who die from suicide and accidents, they do count.

There are NO alternatives to meds. That is some sort of myth, I have tried just about everything. Alternatives that have a proven track record like medication, just don't exist. There's some improvement in some people from fish oil, reducing things that impact adhd negatively thru diet, therapy, absolutely but they don't directly manage adhd.

So far, meds are the only option with a proven track record. I wish I had that option but right now, it's just not on the table. Meds AND other options work even better but other options and no meds have proven time and time again to be ineffective. I wish there was an alternative but right now, it's just not there.

Even tho ADHD meds are necessary for physical survival I wouldn't want to agree with anyone to set the bar that low. We deserve better, we do deserve to have our condition respected. This young boy believes he's lazy and just needs a bigger beating, I'm not going to agree with him. I may not be able to talk him out of his ideas or his decision. That's ok. But he's got people a plenty who are more than happy to tell him he's right, he is morally currupt, I hope we wouldn't add to that stigma.

Kasi
11-08-12, 06:04 PM
For me, yes. Medication is completely worth it and I don't think I should be going off anytime soon since I'm not all that functional without them. In your case, you might decide you need some time off, or even decide that you actually prefer being off of it. That's okay! I've noticed a lot of people have decided on meds, and then were able to wean themselves off after they saw how they changed, and with therapy and tactics, were able to do it without. You may be one of those people.

I just ask that you educate yourself on the properties of Ritalin before you start just calling it speed. Yes, it may have some of the same chemical build, but it is different and it HAS been tested, or it would not have been allowed through past the testing phase. A lot of medicines have the same chemical properties of street drugs. It may help to ask your parents and/or your doctor, why they thought it was a good idea, you may find that they weighed the benefits and the negatives for quite a while before they decided on it.

Good luck.

lalapin
11-08-12, 09:44 PM
I'm one of those people who can't tolerate medication because of side effects. The inability to take meds may not kill me outright, and unlike some medical conditions no not taking meds isn't fatal. Yet, it does affect the quality of my life every day. I know this because I used to be able to take meds, my life is much much harder now. And you're right, those people who died, or are imprisoned etc... they aren't on this forum to discuss their experience. And you know, people with adhd who die from suicide and accidents, they do count.

There are NO alternatives to meds. That is some sort of myth, I have tried just about everything. Alternatives that have a proven track record like medication, just don't exist. There's some improvement in some people from fish oil, reducing things that impact adhd negatively thru diet, therapy, absolutely but they don't directly manage adhd.

So far, meds are the only option with a proven track record. I wish I had that option but right now, it's just not on the table. Meds AND other options work even better but other options and no meds have proven time and time again to be ineffective. I wish there was an alternative but right now, it's just not there.

Even tho ADHD meds are necessary for physical survival I wouldn't want to agree with anyone to set the bar that low. We deserve better, we do deserve to have our condition respected. This young boy believes he's lazy and just needs a bigger beating, I'm not going to agree with him. I may not be able to talk him out of his ideas or his decision. That's ok. But he's got people a plenty who are more than happy to tell him he's right, he is morally currupt, I hope we wouldn't add to that stigma.

I'm really sorry to hear you can't take meds because I agree they are helping me tremendously and I'm also taking omega 3 along with concerta but when my concerta wears off I don't see improvement in symptoms so maybe omega 3 doesn't help me at all...

Thank you for making me realise those in jail or dead are not here to discuss, I didn't even think of that when I wrote my other post. You're probably right after all.

I have to add to the disussion, to help the young man, that in terms of quality of life, I feel much better about myself and have a lot more self confidence since I'm medicated. Because my symptoms are reduced, people don't always come to me anymore telling me I did this and that wrong so I have less fustration and anger. I'm alot less prone to anger outbursts as well. I feel more able to handle school, work, family and daily life. And I feel safe when I drive. I don't hate myself at the end of the day anymore. So yes, they're totally worth it.

Ginniebean, I hope you find your solution soon.

Seaweed603
11-09-12, 03:59 PM
I feel you bro. I went on conserta (it is basically ritilin) in second grade. I upped the dosage in middle school. I became anti social with 2 friends. I developed cystic acne on my back and chest that turned scaring. I didn't care, or even have any emotion. I didn't fake it though, I was just a freakin robot. In nineth grade my dad lost his job and we couldn't afford medication. Thank god. I went into a depression when my grades fell. I felt awful about myself, still do actually . I ended up doing a mouth of conserta again last mouth, my grades made me, but I expressed this to my doctor and i switched meds, i suggest you switch meds as well.

slipstrm
11-09-12, 04:22 PM
My 16 yr old daughter is on Wellbutrin and doing very well. Ritalin did not work for her at all. Before she started taking medications for ADD she suffered from depression to the point she was cutting herself, forgetfullness, drastic mood swings, and had no attention to details. Today on Wellbutrin she is a totally different person and much happier.

Seaweed603
11-09-12, 06:57 PM
If you have to ask if it is worth it. You are not alone. We can not make this decision for you. We can only guild you along the way. In the end, it is up to you. You need to figure out what is most important to YOU. Forget everyone else for a moment, and think what do YOU want.