View Full Version : American ginseng effective in adult ADHD

brendawg17
11-05-12, 03:57 AM
There have supposedly been studies with children. Has anyone had success with this herb?

sarahsweets
11-05-12, 05:10 AM
Can you cite some sources so I can read about this?

brendawg17
11-05-12, 05:52 AM
http://www.natural-alternative-adhd-treatment.com/american-ginseng.html

That and a bunch of other stuff just doing Google searches. I am suspicious because it seems as though people want to market everything now to alleviate ADHD.

Dizfriz
11-05-12, 12:14 PM
http://www.natural-alternative-adhd-treatment.com/american-ginseng.html

That and a bunch of other stuff just doing Google searches. I am suspicious because it seems as though people want to market everything now to alleviate ADHD.

You are right, in my opinion, to be suspicious of these kinds of sites. There is very little science backing up their assertions.

I can say that burning incense before a Ken and Barbie doll will help ADHD, post it on a site and who is to argue with me and I can pretty much guarantee there will be some at the toy department buying dolls and incense.

One of the things I look for when evaluating these alternative treatment sites is " Do they use scare tactics?".

This one does. In just a quick look I saw this

I do see the reason why many prefer the medication route. It works quickly, almost immediately calming your child into a walking zombie.

When I see this sort of very erroneous scare statements, I have little or no faith in anything else they say. For me, it pretty much indicates this as a purveyor of snake oil.

Good post, thanks,

Dizfriz

brendawg17
11-05-12, 12:56 PM
I do know that it helped keep my energy up when I abruptly had to go off of adderall for a couple weeks. I was supplementing with Tyrosine, too at the time. But abrupt transitions are not good evaluations.

I do know that when it comes to ginseng, it is hard to find good standardized stuff. The stuff from Harding's Wild Simulated Ginseng in Friendsville, Maryland seemed to have an effect in boosting energy.

brendawg17
11-05-12, 01:01 PM
Not that I take Adderall for the energy. It's just that everyone knows that an unexpected cut off like that sucks. I've been reading that site/blog "Quitting Adderall." I don't doubt his ADHD diagnosis but telling his story, he seems as though he was being prescribed a heavier dose than would have been ideal during his years taking it.

JamieDarkstar
11-06-12, 06:03 AM
I been taking a mixture of American ginseng and Ginkgo biloba for about 6 month, no other medications. My naturopath has used this method for her ADHD clients for years and I think it does slightly improve concentration. There is scientific evidence for Ginkgo increasing blood flow to the centre of the brain, and therefore alertness, but not much research on American Ginseng. However, now even she says it would be better to take Ritalin, based on feedback from other patients who have gone down that track.

roxy1983
03-31-17, 01:34 AM
Hi I take a supplement called Nature's Own Focus and perform here in Australia, and find it helps a lot. I also take 20mg of Ritalin LA daily. I would say it helps you think clearer and your brain feel more organised. The combination of the two is really good, but I have never taken just the supplement and not Ritalin.

With the supplement, you have to take it again six hours later. So I take 2 daily for work and study and then relax at night. Hope that helps!