View Full Version : Study: Music helps some kids with ADHD focus

demuregeek
11-06-12, 07:57 AM
I think this kind of confirms what some of us anecdotally know. Most kids with ADHD were not distracted by music, and a few found it helped them focus:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-11-children-adhd-music-similar-positive.html

Subtract81
11-06-12, 08:54 AM
Hmm well I love music, for me to ignore music is not really an option, unless it is something that is not cognitively taxing.

ADDinHDefgHi?!
11-06-12, 09:15 AM
I always wore headphones when doing work at school before I was dx'd with ADHD. It always helped a lot. I still wear headphones when I'm walking around town or doing chores.

In high school I had a job where the boss made me wear my headphones while I worked because when he had me take them off I was much slower and my work was sloppier.

SquarePeg
11-06-12, 11:32 AM
My 17 year old swears that music helps her study or background noise. Silence is a distraction.

Ive read that a certain type of classical music is "in sync" with brainwaves whilst learning, I think it was Baroque style.

When I was young I used to disrupt the entire class and once it was in chaos I would start my classwork.

Subtract81
11-06-12, 11:42 AM
I have noticed i can work better when there are other things going on around me, to be honest i have never really learnt study skills, kind of surprising after going through school and university.

ezridax
11-06-12, 01:11 PM
This is true for my ADD DH. He focuses much better with background noise. He has to keep away from visual distractions, though, which are detrimental to his focus. He can barely even watch TV and eat (or if he does try he ends up binging because he's not paying attention to what he's eating). Whereas I will often fold laundry, wash dishes, etc. while "watching" Netflix, though really I'm mostly just listening.

But I can only watch or listen to something when I'm doing "non-verbal" work, like housework or crafting. How my DH can manage to listen to talk radio while doing data entry-- for instance-- is beyond me. But, it works for him. If I tried it, I'd either miss the entire radio program, or end up doing the data entry all wrong.

Kasi
11-06-12, 06:04 PM
Definitely true for me. My 4th grade teacher used to play Vivaldi and other Italian classical music and some of my best concentration and work came when I had an anticipated background noise.