View Full Version : Wellbutrin= extreme hunger

ana futura
11-07-12, 06:44 PM
I'm curious about trying wellbutrin again, but I am afraid to as I sampled it once and it caused extreme hunger- like I felt I had a gaping hole in my stomach that had to be filled with food. I've never reacted to stimulant meds in this way.

It also put me into a VERY bad head space.

I'm curious, for other people who had a similar initial reaction, how long did it take for the hunger to go away?

Also, is feeling agitated and insecure a common initial reaction? Does this usually change?

nanners
11-07-12, 07:23 PM
Wow, I have not had that experience (perhaps my response isn't helpful then? hehe).

It has been almost a month for me. The first week I hardly had an appetite (now it is back to normal), mild headaches in the evening and trouble sleeping (on top of the normal trouble sleeping). Also, the first week I was really giddy and goofy (which was a welcome change).

The only time I would say that I experienced a bad head space...was when I did not get much sleep one night and decided to drink coffee the next morning (which is rare for me). I was buzzed out of my brains all day, even until late at night. I was very jittery and agitated all day. That was super weird and exhausting.

How long did you try it last time?

Not sure if it matters, but I am taking Bupropion HCL XL 150mg.

ana futura
11-07-12, 08:36 PM
One day. It was so horrific I refused to continue using it.

I am better at tolerating side effects now, that was before I ever tried a stimulant. Still, stimulant side effects have never bothered me like that first day on wellbutrin.

It has been almost a month for me. The first week I hardly had an appetite (now it is back to normal)

Apparently this is what happens for most people, but some go the other way and gain weight.

While I don't want my appetite suppressed, I also do not under any circumstances want to gain weight because of a med. I used to be a little over weight and I worked very very hard over several years to get it down.

hollywood
11-08-12, 12:40 AM
This is not true. Wellbutrin once metabolized is a mild stimulant, and therefore has stimulant like effects . It will not cause weight gain. , it is more likely to prevent weight gain

nanners
11-08-12, 12:40 AM
Do you remember if you took it in the morning, after you had breakfast?

I hear ya about side effects. Life is hard enough as it is!

ana futura
11-08-12, 01:01 AM
This is not true. Wellbutrin once metabolized is a mild stimulant, and therefore has stimulant like effects . It will not cause weight gain. , it is more likely to prevent weight gain

For most people it causes weight loss, but for a small percentage of people it causes weight gain, it's mentioned in the literature
Metabolic
Metabolic side effects have frequently included weight loss and weight gain. Hyponatremia, hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia have also been reported in patients receiving bupropion (the active ingredient contained in Wellbutrin)
From- http://www.drugs.com/sfx/wellbutrin-side-effects.html

I ate non-stop on it, I was obsessed with food. I just stood in front of the fridge and ate straight out of it.

I'm wondering if anyone who had experienced this effect initially saw it go away over time.

And I think I took it after lunch, I'm pretty sure I had just eaten.

425runner
11-08-12, 09:13 PM
It causes hypoglycemia for me, I need to eat something every 2 hrs. It also causes anger outburts and overall edginess. I have a love & hate relationship with Wellbutrin XL 150mg....it does help with depression and makes me go out and want to socialize and accomplish things but it also makes my ADHD a lot worse in that it makes me impulsive, scatter brained, and agitated.

Yes, anxiety/restlessnes is a common side effect. I have to have 0.25mg Klonopin with it to take the edge off a bit.

ana futura
11-08-12, 11:21 PM
It causes hypoglycemia for me, I need to eat something every 2 hrs. It also causes anger outburts and overall edginess. I have a love & hate relationship with Wellbutrin XL 150mg....it does help with depression and makes me go out and want to socialize and accomplish things but it also makes my ADHD a lot worse in that it makes me impulsive, scatter brained, and agitated.

Yes, anxiety/restlessnes is a common side effect. I have to have 0.25mg Klonopin with it to take the edge off a bit.

Did you find yourself obsessed with snack foods?

Did you take it with vyvanse/ dexedrine, or by itself? The only reason I'm considering it is for ADHD treatment, I would take it by itself.

I'm still not entirely sure if my lack of motivation is caused by ADHD or ADHD+depression.

All stimulant meds work, they're just a little too harsh/ uneven. I wouldn't mind a med with "less focus" if it provided more motivation.

hollywood
11-09-12, 12:15 AM
Why even take it if it makes adhd worse that doesn't make sense. I think it makes me feel really scattered too so I quit . Actually Effexor helps more in that you don't feel scattered on snris

nanners
11-09-12, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't mind a med with "less focus" if it provided more motivation.

I have to chime in once again in favor of the Welly :)

I went to the doc looking for stims and he gave me this instead. I have read about all of the side effects of stims and am so happy that I went this route.

I have been more motivated than I can remember being in a long time. My issue was trying to get thru housework and running errands, making dinner, helping with homework, all that kind of stuff after long work days, kids, etc...

My house isn't spotless (like it ever will be), but I have the stamina to do all the things I need to do every day and for the most part, with a smile on my face. I was sleeping in for days on the weekends and then wanting to stay in my house and not go out into the world unless I had to.

I still do that if I really need that down day, but for the most part I have been getting up and going on the weekends also. :eek:

I don't have experience with stimulants (besides my naughty teenage years) so I can't compare the two directly.

Anyway, I know you are trying to find out about the cravings/eating issue...but I have had a major improvement in motivation. :yes:

425runner
11-09-12, 11:57 AM
@ana futura - I used to take Wellbutrin alone, but as I mentioned it made my ADHD a lot worse so Adderall, then Vyvanse, now Dexedrine were added. I officialy quit taking it today and refuse to get back on it. I find n-acetyl-l-tyrosine works just as well and is actually good for replenishing NE/DA stores.

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out the stimulants. The Dexedrine ER 10mg doesn't work anymore..so I find myself drinking coffee, taking herbal stimulants, tyrosine etc. then being over-stimulated...I hate this up/down circle!

I had no desire to self medicate or drink coffee while I was on Vyvanse but it's sooo expensive right now...will ask the doc to increase the Dexedrine, hopefully he will..

TheRealShow
11-12-12, 04:37 PM
Ana Futura - I am glad to hear I'm not the only one. I've only been on Wellbutrin for 11 days and so far, and I have nothing good to say about it. My very first day was an absolute nightmare. I was in a complete fog and so confused, so tired. After that first day, I went back to exactly how I am without meds. My first week on 150mg I had zero positive affects. I did notice my appetite went away the first few days.

I bumped up to 300mg a few days ago and all I want to do is sleep and EAT! I have been eating so much the last few days it's ridiculous. I have these awful cravings for everything, espcecially sweets. It stinks. Also the last two days after taking it I got nosebleeds about 20 minutes after taking it.

None of my ADD symptoms have been addressed at all. I still have no focus, no motivation, etc. I'm so over this med and sick of waiting for it to work.

Flory
11-12-12, 07:12 PM
eeek :( hope you get this resolved ana, sounds sh*tty

ana futura
11-12-12, 08:42 PM
None of my ADD symptoms have been addressed at all. I still have no focus, no motivation, etc. I'm so over this med and sick of waiting for it to work.

Thanks for the reply, please keep me posted about your progress!

I think I might try tenex instead, or just stick with stimulants. I don't like them much, but at least they work.

Flory
11-12-12, 09:01 PM
Have you tried adderall or vyvanse ana ? perhaps you'd get along better with a ER med ?

ana futura
11-12-12, 11:06 PM
Have you tried adderall or vyvanse ana ? perhaps you'd get along better with a ER med ?

I have tried everything :(

I'm just too sensitive to stimulants.

mirandatoritess
11-12-12, 11:08 PM
I'm curious about trying wellbutrin again, but I am afraid to as I sampled it once and it caused extreme hunger- like I felt I had a gaping hole in my stomach that had to be filled with food. I've never reacted to stimulant meds in this way.

It also put me into a VERY bad head space.

I'm curious, for other people who had a similar initial reaction, how long did it take for the hunger to go away?

Also, is feeling agitated and insecure a common initial reaction? Does this usually change?

I am not sure, but I have a strange metallic taste in my mouth

TheRealShow
11-12-12, 11:14 PM
Thanks Flory, and yes, Ana Futura, I'll let you know how it goes. I wish I could try a stimulant because from what I've read, I think my symptoms would react best to a stim. But my doctor is hesitant to prescribe me stims because I told him I experimented with drugs 15 years ago in college! I think he is afraid I am going to abuse them or get addicted. I'm kind of upset about it because I think it will really work and all I want is to be a successful adult, not abuse drugs, ya know? I feel like he doesn't trust me. Hopefully he'll let me try something that works soon, I'm going crazy without help.

hollywood
11-13-12, 09:30 PM
This post is all over the place. One minute we are speaking about something and then somebody will post and somebody replies but totally ignores the last post. Are you retarded? Honestly if a person chimes in then respond to them because if you don't then the whole thread is messed up. Anyways, yeah I do kind of get an empty headspace with wellbutrin. I don't know why I keep taking it ? It takes 4 or 5 days once you stop to feel normal again and that's what I am going to do

TheRealShow
11-18-12, 02:10 PM
Ok, so I've been taking Wellbutrin for about 16 days and I can officially say I would NEVER recommend anyone taking this stuff. Still ZERO affect on my ADD but now, in addition to making me really tired, craving sweets and fried food, it is making super angry, like enraged, at the smallest things, to the point where I have to go be by myself and try to breathe. It's HORRIBLE, because I never feel this way. I have never felt so angry in my life. Also, it makes it very hard to cope with things. I felt like I was having a meltdown at work last night and almost started crying in front of everyone. It was awful. I'm not taking it anymore. Thank God my pdoc agrees this med probably isn't going to work for me. He's agreed to let me try stims starting next week, I'm so grateful.

So, for what it's worth, that's my experience!

hollywood
11-18-12, 10:28 PM
It's difficult to predict , but that's plausible although wellbutrin does seem to help with motivation and vigor but I do seem more tired when I take it

Mandi31980
07-18-17, 03:26 PM
I had the same issue with gaining weight on wellbutrin. Like not a little Weight but 49 lbs. I kept listening to my doc telling me wellbutrin makes you loose weight not gain it. Well I'm proof. I have adult A.D.D and I weighed 118 lbs . Then I started taking wellbutrin and was on it for 5 months. The cravings NEVER went away and since I never had a weight issue I kept eating until one week I gained 8 lbs. I was up to 167 when I stopped wellbutrin 3 weeks ago (make sure you wein yourself from wellbutrin or it could cause VERY bad side affects) and my doc gave me back my time released adderal. Today i weigh 159. I have been taking my adderall for 5 days and I've lost 8lbs!!! I feel amazing and will NEVER take wellbutrin again.