View Full Version : How do you handle receipts?

anonymouslyadd
11-08-12, 06:28 PM
My mom told me "always save receipts." OK. Well, what happens when you have a glob of them, and you need to find one from last month?

Do you save your receipts and how do you do it? Do you have a way to organize them?

SquarePeg
11-08-12, 06:35 PM
ha ha yes I save all my receipts for important items but always end up losing them. For big stuff like TV and printer, I tape the receipt to the item.

I get 10 euros off fuel if I have a receipt from the supermarket. I turned up yesterday with my receipt from a completely different shop.

In Spain now receipts are kept electronically, so if you pay by card the receipt is stored. I bought a landline telephone and it broke after 3 days (should have taken it back without 15 days for a replacement) but oh no never go around to it. So I took it back 5 months later with no receipt and the nice lady spent half an hour looking it up on the computer and printed me another one.

anonymouslyadd
11-08-12, 06:53 PM
ha ha yes I save all my receipts for important items but always end up losing them. For big stuff like TV and printer, I tape the receipt to the item.
I would have a difficult time distinguishing from important vs. non-important. That's a good idea about taping the receipt to the item.:)

T-Rex65
11-08-12, 07:06 PM
I soft of keep receipts but I'm not organized about them. They are everywhere!

However, I did decide to keep up with my coupons and store dollars, like CVS and Rite Aid print at the bottom of their receipts. I bought one of those plastic coupon organizers from Dollar Tree, and I keep it in my purse at all times. If I get a coupon that I think I may use, I put it there *immediately*. Every couple of months I go through and check the dates on my coupons, and discard the ones that are no longer good.

anonymouslyadd
11-08-12, 07:10 PM
I need to have a system. Without a system, I'm totally lost, and I don't want to live that way.

silivrentoliel
11-08-12, 07:15 PM
I keep them in an accordian file that separates them by month. Lately, as we're trying to track our spending better, I separate them out in envelopes by "groceries," "gas," "pets," etc.

Granted, this only happens at the end of the month. During the month, they end up everywhere. In my wallet, in my purse, in my pockets, or in an empty shoebox in the kitchen where they pile up til DH and I go over bills and stuff.

He's the one that does the spending tracking and keeps track of all that. I pay the bills, but at the start of every month (which often ends up being middle of the previous month), we go through bills and put them on our shared calendar.

It kinda seems like a complicated system from the outside, but it's really not. Just takes time.

anonymouslyadd
11-08-12, 07:25 PM
I keep them in an accordian file that separates them by month. Lately, as we're trying to track our spending better, I separate them out in envelopes by "groceries," "gas," "pets," etc.
I don't think it's complicated at all.

How long do you hold on to them for?

scrambled86
11-08-12, 07:51 PM
They're in my pockets, in my bags and scattered in various places all over my apartment.

I'm terrible at returning things anyway if they don't work.

I would love to be more organised with these things...:rolleyes:

silivrentoliel
11-08-12, 07:57 PM
I don't think it's complicated at all.

How long do you hold on to them for?

a year, unless it's a large purchase that has a warranty. That will eventually go into our file box (with our taxes and medical stuff) until the warranty expires... or, to be honest, lol til I go back through the box and realize it's expired :D

The complicated bit is that I have a budget book that I found at Target. It has a calendar and an expense sheet that lists the general expenses and has places for you to write in other bills, as well as a check list of things that need to be taken care of that month. It has two pockets as well, one for bills, one for receipts. I tried to keep the receipts in the pockets of the book, but it got really full really quickly, so I got the accordion file. I put them in envelopes to keep it a bit more organized and less messy. Messy freaks me out when I'm trying to be organized.

anonymouslyadd
11-08-12, 07:57 PM
a year, unless it's a large purchase that has a warranty. That will eventually go into our file box (with our taxes and medical stuff) until the warranty expires... or, to be honest, lol til I go back through the box and realize it's expired :D
Can I just borrow your husband?:lol::rolleyes:

silivrentoliel
11-08-12, 08:01 PM
I actually do all that :lol: he doesn't have the patience to make the folders and stuff... but lately, I've been making him do ALL of it with me so he knows where stuff is. I'm actually trying to get him to take over the bills, but it's not working.

Kasi
11-08-12, 08:37 PM
Mom also had an accordian file with tabs for each month then just shove all the receipts in there, usually at the end of the month when she was clearing out her purse.

It had an extra pocket, so she put the 'big' stuff in there. Like say TV, stove, washer dryer... that stuff.

Then at the end of the fiscal year, she'd take it out, and she'd sort the taxes, and then it would go into a box with a file system with a label for the year. Typically she'd keep those files for a year or two, to make sure it wasn't anything she had to prove again, then shred and throw it out.

Only exception was, she always kept the records of repairs/renovations to the house, electronics, and car upkeep. Also a copy of the tax report, I believe.

I hope that helped?

Sandy4957
11-08-12, 09:51 PM
I put receipts for "largish" items into a file labeled "warranties and receipts." That file is now three volumes and has never been emptied. I usually staple the receipt to the materials that came with the item. For example, I might cut the UPC symbol off of a box and staple it to that. Or if a warranty came with it, I'd staple it to that.

Ordinary receipts (groceries, what have you) get put into a separate folder labeled "receipts." That one gets moved every January 1 into a box in the basement.

I probably have those boxes going back to 1990, though I've been meaning to shred those that are older than 10 years. 10 years is more than enough for most things.

A while back I had a Sears hose burst on me. It seemed relatively new, so I hauled out the receipt and the part of the cardboard packaging that were in my "warranties and receipts" file and brought it back to Sears. Sure enough, they replaced it. I was pretty pleased with myself.

Oh, and store business receipts religiously, in separate folders from your personal stuff.

You ARE incorporated, RIGHT???

If not, PM me.

Spacemaster
11-08-12, 10:03 PM
I save important receipts, like for large electronics, and put them under my silverware organizer.

Every other receipt usually gets stuffed into my purse, with no organization.

anonymouslyadd
11-08-12, 10:46 PM
You ARE incorporated, RIGHT???
Yes, I'm an LLC. I was actually referring to personal receipts, but I'll take any advice I can get.:)