View Full Version : Do you know an ADDer with a special talent you think should be recognized?

E-boy
01-03-05, 12:26 PM
I do! At the risk of getting a chorus of "Aww's" or possibly even a few "BARFS!" I hereby recognize E-girl for some of the most beautiful and evocative poetry I have ever read. I can only hope she posts some here so the rest of you can enjoy it.

E-boy
01-03-05, 02:20 PM
Boy, I didn't expect the response to this thread to be so underwhelming. It's not a popularity contest folks. Just a chance to share some positive feedback with some peeps that could probably really use it.

So, being as I am doing all the work here( hee hee), I think Big, and LivingwithADD, and all the others behind this site (no offense for my lack of memory of names, I mean well but I always forget things), as well as the hard working moderators and other contributers should all be recognized for their vision, teamwork, and orginizational skills. Thanks for bringing it all together folks!

Deeperblue
01-03-05, 02:28 PM
and to all of the posters who share their heart, soul and guts with all of us... the strength behind each and every one of your "screens" reaches out and makes an impact on all of us (and especially me.) Thank you so very much.

Ian
01-03-05, 03:25 PM
Most of the ADHD types I know are here. Like Deeperblue, I'm in awe of the quality of input by some here.

The only other one I'm close to is my youngest. Parents talking about their children can become a bit tedious though so I'll keep it down to a dull roar. She's eleven and can wait forever to have a joke come to fruition. Amazing patience when there is a laugh to be had. Differed gratification isn't my strong suit but she has no troubles there.
Cheers! Ian.

Nucking_Futs
01-03-05, 07:28 PM
Wow!!! this is going to take me a few days there are so many and they all deserve credit. So, good thread E-boy but give me a few minutes to think I don't want to leave anyone out...it seems that everyone I come in contact with leaves something behind to make me a better person or just to lift my spirits just a little higher.

But, first I'll name the very first open ADD'er I met a few years ago. While I couldn't stand Draga at first she was blunt and would not allow me to make any excuses. It did not take me long to realize that Mel was a true friend and showed great kindness in accepting my weakness's and reminding me of my strengths. I have also had the great honor of watching Mel grow into *eyes tear up* a self assured, strong woman who works very hard to ensure that others are shown the compassion she was not and that they are given the skills to survive this world with hope and a smile.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart Mel. You will alway's be my best friend. Your shirt is being mailed tommorrow.

Draga
01-03-05, 08:37 PM
:D Ok Now I am tearing up .....I wuv ya futsy....and U know I would have not gotten this far without your support...Cheers to the Bluntness of us Both cause you are equally as blunt & as strong as I am. Where U think I learned it from. :p You definetly have my vote for most awesome ADDer just for being You and a damn good poet too:D

E-boy
01-07-05, 12:52 PM
I want to nominate Ian for his work in making "Frosted beards" fashionable. Saw a guy putting fake snow in his beard here in Virginia! Next stop the Florida Keys! Draga keep us posted when you start seeing frosted beards in New Orleans, won't you? Itschaotic, Moderator, father, TRENDSETTER! WHOO HOO!!!!!

Draga
01-07-05, 03:18 PM
I want to nominate Ian for his work in making "Frosted beards" fashionable. Saw a guy putting fake snow in his beard here in Virginia! Next stop the Florida Keys! Draga keep us posted when you start seeing frosted beards in New Orleans, won't you? Itschaotic, Moderator, father, TRENDSETTER! WHOO HOO!!!!!

I was working on an Icey cold Frosted Beer Beard last night tyvm :p

Nucking_Futs
01-07-05, 03:54 PM
I'd like to nominate wheezie who has always kicked my butt like a true friend when I'm feeling sorry for myself. Who gives me courage everyday to say I am NORMAL!!! Her name just brings peace and comfort the minute I see it.

Hugs,
Wheez I'm thinking of you and hoping you find the answer soon.
Cherity

Nucking_Futs
01-07-05, 03:58 PM
Mary,

Your the first person I've ever spoken to about ADHD. I can still remember logging onto YAHOO chat and saying "my son has ADHD and I'm scared" and I will never forget your comment "Why? he's not dying" lol. Your the first person who encouraged me to start gathering information for myself. You held my hand when we lost our baby and cheered me on thru a difficult pregnancy with Garrett. Thru you and Mel I found the courage to work hard and to examine myself in order to save my marriage. You Mary MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING. thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Nucking_Futs
01-07-05, 04:03 PM
Dan,

To my dear stiff, uptight Dan. From you I learned to search deep in myself to find courage, hope and faith. Your humorous posts and "cheer" pm's have saved me from a lot of dark and lonely days. You have a wonderful knack for just letting someone know your there at all the right times. You deserve peace and happiness and am praying E-girl is the ONE to give it, how I like her so much already. Just knowing your there makes a difference in a lot of people's worlds. Don't lose your humor, strength, courage, devotion to friends and loved ones. Never once did I think I would ever admire a "big dumb swede" how wrong I can be. Hugs Cherity

Nucking_Futs
01-07-05, 04:08 PM
Ian,

While you may be a trend setter (not my style but still very classy) I want to thank you for giving me a glimpse into Jess' world and for teaching me the most valuable lesson of my life...I cannot save anyone but myself...sure I can listen, I can support but I do not and cannot make their choices for them. That has brought me so much inner peace especially after Donna's death which for so long I blamed myself and felt as if the guilt would eat me alive. You opened your heart and have given us all a knowledge that will live forever in our hearts and with each post we gain just a little more...The world is a better place having known you. Cherity

Nucking_Futs
01-07-05, 04:10 PM
Ok i'm all spluttery and teary eyed. How do you thank so many people in such a short time? Luckily, I have a lifetime. *smiles*

BBL

minn306
01-07-05, 04:11 PM
I am not able to just talk about one person that has a special talent. I want to reconize EVERYBODY on this forum site that makes all new members feel welcome. I know that when I first registered to become a member, I had so many feelings that I was trying to deal with. Not only did several of you reach out to make me feel welcome but you went out of your way to show you care. If I start to name all of you that have made a difference to me & that I feel very blessed to have you in my life now.................this thread would go on for days :)

Even though so many of us have things that we are dealing with in our own lives..............I have seen SO many people with huge hearts of gold.

THANK YOU
THANK YOU to all of my wonderful family here at the forum

Nucking_Futs
01-07-05, 04:36 PM
Charlie,

Who says "Suck it up already" with a joke. I'm always in awe of your ability to share your heart and experiances with humor. I love you charlie and my world would be a lot less fun without you in it.

Nucking_Futs
01-07-05, 04:37 PM
minn,

so much like myself it's scarry from bald husbands to fish tanks that need cleaned. Your support is like a light in a lot of worlds. Don't lose your gentle, caring soul it's your greatest gift to the world even if we forget to tell you.

love

Nucking_Futs
01-07-05, 04:38 PM
This is like giving flowers while their still living...why wait until someone is gone to tell them what you feel.

GREAT thread Dan!!!!

minn306
01-07-05, 04:44 PM
this thread needs a WARNING on the first page

GRAB A BOX OF KLEENEX BEFORE ENTERING THIS THREAD

It is so wonderful to be able to hear the appreciation of people from others. Dan, you did great by starting this thread

I agree 100% with Futs about not waiting until it is to late to let people know how you feel about how they have impacted another person's life

Draga
01-07-05, 04:46 PM
I nominate the new members of the support group for their bravery..1st step is the hardest.

minn306
01-07-05, 04:47 PM
oh Melly.........what a good moderator you are!!!

Draga
01-07-05, 04:58 PM
Boy, I didn't expect the response to this thread to be so underwhelming. It's not a popularity contest folks. Just a chance to share some positive feedback with some peeps that could probably really use it.

So, being as I am doing all the work here( hee hee), I think Big, and LivingwithADD, and all the others behind this site (no offense for my lack of memory of names, I mean well but I always forget things), as well as the hard working moderators and other contributers should all be recognized for their vision, teamwork, and orginizational skills. Thanks for bringing it all together folks!

I too want to Nominate Tara And Big for all their hard work in the forums and outside of the forums to help not only those with ADD but Non ADD people as well...You guys are doing a great job. :) Hugs!

Draga
01-07-05, 05:02 PM
oh Melly.........what a good moderator you are!!!

Well, you know, I try :p I just like to give credit where credit is due :D

Nucking_Futs
01-07-05, 07:35 PM
I'd also like to thank Mel for her hard work and tireless efforts in helping a puter idiot like me edit my picture's so I can show my kids off. Thanks Mel

minn306
01-07-05, 08:14 PM
I want to "nominate" Futs for all the people she is sharing her thoughts on

What a thoughful person you are Futs!!!

Draga
01-07-05, 08:47 PM
I'd also like to thank Mel for her hard work and tireless efforts in helping a puter idiot like me edit my picture's so I can show my kids off. Thanks Mel

Your Welcome, Sweetie..I printed that pic out.....It too adorable and I just HAD to save it LOL. Love ya!

Nucking_Futs
01-08-05, 09:22 AM
I want to "nominate" Futs for all the people she is sharing her thoughts on

What a thoughful person you are Futs!!!

I just believe in giving credit were credit is due and not waiting until it's too late to say THANKS!! I live with enough regrets and don't wish to add more to the pile.

Draga
01-08-05, 09:42 AM
:D FYI Futs......I was right, Mom thinks that pic is adorable :)

Mary
05-11-05, 11:18 AM
WOW,

Thank you Cherity! I remember that day too! Since then there have been several thousand who've also come through that door. All where you were then.

I am so happy I was there for you, through all your woes and all the good times, too. That's what friends are for. To laugh, cry and share each new thing going on each others lives. We've both come a long way since then.

I want to thank you. For putting a smile on my face when I'm feeling down. For listening to me cry, when I feel I can't handle 4 teenage girls. I want you to know.. that even though I can no longer stand long enough to dance that you put a smile on my face and a twinge in my heartstrings as I read all the posts you've shared in this forum.

I see the strength that you didn't have the first time you came to chat. You have grown stronger with each passing event in your life. That is what I enjoy most about you. You still can laugh in the face of adversity.

So I just wanted you to know. I love you, I miss you and I think of you often.

There are a lot of others here that I look up to and appreciate. I just get shy about expressing that to everyone. You'd think since I am a writer, I would have gotten past that by now.

Hugs Cherity, love you!

Mary,

Your the first person I've ever spoken to about ADHD. I can still remember logging onto YAHOO chat and saying "my son has ADHD and I'm scared" and I will never forget your comment "Why? he's not dying" lol. Your the first person who encouraged me to start gathering information for myself. You held my hand when we lost our baby and cheered me on thru a difficult pregnancy with Garrett. Thru you and Mel I found the courage to work hard and to examine myself in order to save my marriage. You Mary MAKE ME FEEL LIKE DANCING. thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Nucking_Futs
05-11-05, 03:00 PM
Well, I meant it months ago when I wrote it and I still mean it today. lol
Sometimes, I think humans are geered more towards complaint then remembering to say thank you for the little wonders in our life. And you Mary are a wonder!!!!

KnittingJunkie
05-14-05, 12:51 AM
:soapbox: Ok, here's the deal: I know a ton of people, so some are going to be left out, because I can't type forever--I'm just going to list off who I can in a reasonable period of time (because if I talked about everyone who's cool on here I'd be up all night, and G_d knows that while it's not unlike me to stay up all night, I have non-forum-related typing (work, that is) to do. So I love everyone and don't be hurt if your name isn't on here, ok? Note: this list is sort of a combination between "people who are talented" and "people who assisted me in ramaining sane since January." (And like I said, it's an incomplete list. Forgive me if you're not on here, lowered my dex, folks--the hamster is jogging leisurely instead of running on the cognitive wheel ;) )

Rach is talented at taking care of just about everyone. Don't get me wrong, Cherity's good at that too, but Rach gets pretty worried and concerned when something goes wrong and is one of the most unselfish people I've ever met because even when she's going through something tragic, she rarely (if ever) mentions it--rather, she just keeps on showing concern for others.

Mel is talented at being strong, even if she doesn't feel that strong. She tends to inspire confidence, because she is confident, or at least manages to act like it even when she's not feeling so great! Seriously, though, Mel gets an idea and she sticks to it, and when she wants to get something done, she'll work her butt off to make it happen.

Cherity is talented at kicking *** and taking names. (Especially when you're feeling guilty unnecessarily, or just having self-esteem issues overall.) She may not always be gentle about comforting people, but she gets the job done.

Vik is talented at being graceful, eloquent, dignified and gentle. Well, unless someone just does something fundamentally wrong, and then she'll make her voice heard in a manner that's not necessarily gentle. Still, though, she doesn't flip out in a vulgar manner--somehow, she can "put the smack down" eloquently. I may never quite figure that out. She's also creative and sings like an angel.

Shinobi rocks. He's a very good friend when you really, really need a good friend. He's a lot like me because he doesn't like having to restrict himself and be polite, and he's pretty clear with his opinions, but sometimes (ok, quite often) he's a bit better at keeping his temper than I am. (Haven't seen him go ballistic on anyone when they post something he doesn't like...uh, not that I ever have or anything.) He also likes Pop-Tarts, long walks on the beach, puppies, rainbows...j/k Shinobi, ya know I love ya, boy. Totally got me hooked on chocolate chip pop-tarts, though--saved me from the duldrums of frosted Strawberry. It was a total case of ignorance, man--Shinobi opened my eyes to a blissful taste sensation I may not have otherwise discovered. The Pop-Tarts epiphany conveniently happened very near the time I was reaching the lower end of minimum on the weight scale and still losing weight. So I guess I should thank Shinobi, in part, for the fact that I still have boobs. (Thus, he is talented at being supportive, refraining from going ballistic on the forum even when people really annoy him, pastry recommendation and breast-size maintenance. What can I say, man? You multitask.)

Paul (B) is good at making people laugh their asses off and cheering them up, even when they're not in a particularly good mood and he's exhausted and under a lot of stress. He and Wendy are a good team because (I think, though I don't know) even though she's rather ornery too, Wendy might be capable of wrangling him back a bit! Then again, she gets a lot of practice as a mommy, which I found out when she helped me with my homework as a huge favor.

Andrew is good at getting stuff done while showing very little emotion about it. That's not a bad thing, though. He can go "Ok, this is the way it's going to be, and that's just the way it is" without being an *******, and does a trillion other things besides all the stuff running the forum with the two other admins. He's cheerful and efficient and even though he does have all that stuff to do with Big's Place in addition to ADDF in addition to...well, all other Andrew-related activities, he takes the time to congratulate people or thank them or support them or wish them well when need or occasion arises.

Speaking of the two other admins,

Ian is a balance of hilarity, goofiness, silliness, seriousness, and blatant honesty. He laughs and jokes around a lot, and he's funny as hell, but when something needs to get done, he gets it done. And if he does need help with something during a rough time, he's very openly appreciative to those who assisted and supported him. He's supportive too, though, so it goes both ways. He's goofy and supportive of people at the same time, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with goofy, because he's just a hell of a goofball, which is always fun to see in an authority figure. (No offense, Andrew & Kim.)

Kimalimah is really kind but also firm. She has some way of (going to use the term again, only this time it applies to an admin) "putting the smack down" when something's not cool while still staying pleasant about it. I'm not as familiar with Kim, but overall she seems quite pleasant, and concurrently efficient and task-oriented. So she's our chica representative in the administration (and in her admin duties, she presents a picture of strength in femininity, which is of course good for the rest of the ADD chicas.) She also seems to have an odd ability to remain completely impartial--or at least put out a vibe as such--during some sort of controversy.

Gregster is good at presenting a dignified and non-hostile appearance in his communications on the forum. Sometimes it seems pretty evident that he's ****ed off about something, but still, he manages to keep the evidence to a minimum. (Tried to give me a few lessons during my short-lived attempt at moderating.) He's also good about providing up-front information and not censoring people while keeping people aware of what's ok and what's not as far as meds go. He's good for the Med forum especiallly because he remembers everything that could go wrong if someone said the wrong thing and someone else interpreted it correctly, and will move quickly to make reparations as necessary. He'll stick to his guns, but won't be an ******* about it. Plus, even though he knows a heck of a lot about meds, if someone else says something he didn't know, he'll outright admit it and generally thank them for the newfound knowledge.

exeter is a lovely combination of nerdiness and friendship and silliness. Pre-mod, he was a research assistant, and before there were research assistants, he was just a goofy nerd like me. Plus he didn't make fun of me (much) when he found out my Deutsch is somewhat schlecht. (Ok, ok, sehr schlecht, people, bite mich!)

Imnapl is very helpful and caring. She went to the trouble of actually going through and correcting some homework assignments. Seriously--really and truly reviewed them and said "Ok, what the hell is this?" (Only without making me feel like a big pile of ****.) She knits, too, among other things. So she kicks butt in her own rockin' way.

Dangit...there are a lot of people I could very easily write stuff about!!!! URGH!:faint:

Lots of people have helped me figure this dex-and-ADD thing out, and (occasionally successfully) calmed me down when I was being especially anxious and neurotic about school and other stuff. LOTS of people. But that'll have to do for now, and those of you who provided a significant amount of assistance to me but aren't on this list, please accept my sincerest apologies and realize that even if you aren't written down, it doesn't mean you don't truly rock.
It just means that I'm crazy-exhausted and trying to do a zillion things and wish I could stay on here typing this until my hands go numb--but I can't! I could only recognize a handful of helpful people, and there are a heck of a lot more than a handful that I would concurrently thank and recognize if I had more time and energy and pain tolerance (or perhaps painkillers) than I currently do. (Had a minor, minor injury, no worries, anyone.)

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SUPPORTED ME DURING THIS TERM SO I COULD GET MY GOOFY ANXIETY-PRONE NEUROTIC CONFUSED BEFUDDLED PERPLEXED BEWILDERED OVERANALYTICAL LITTLE BUTT FINALLY GRADUATED, AND FORGAVE ME WHEN I ACTED LIKE A--WELL, A VULGAR WORD PORTRAYING A CHICA WHO'S THE OPPOSITE OF NICE AND PLEASANT--ON A FEW OCCASIONS!

(for those reading this post who are now snorting and saying "Yeah, right, a few?!" at the moment, please be kind enough to make fun of me behind my back, ok? :p Much obliged!)

Chrys

Imnapl
05-14-05, 01:07 AM
Chrys,
This might just be the most coherent piece of writing you have posted on this forum. :cool:

KnittingJunkie
05-14-05, 02:51 AM
Wow, major burn! Dang, woman! I said behind my back! ;)
Chrys
Chrys,
This might just be the most coherent piece of writing you have posted on this forum. :cool: