View Full Version : Home school advice needed

Dizfriz
11-09-12, 05:28 PM
An old friend of mine called me and is interested in home schooling his 9 year old ADHD son. There are some visible health issues and boy is being teased a lot and is beginning fight back-hard. Some serious incidents have come up lately including the child bringing a toolbox knife to school to "protect" himself and the parents are very worried. I have talked them into taking the boy to what appears to be a very good play therapist and this should be helpful.

The school apparently will not admit the teasing is happening. This is why home schooling may be appropriate at least in the short term until some of this can be worked out. They do not want the boy to get into serious trouble.

Both parents (divorced) are college educated but the primary parent who will be handling this will be the retired father(my friend). He does have some health issues including diabetes so he is naturally concerned about his ability to follow through.

Does anyone have some ideas on good resources for him to look into. He does not want a religious based curriculum and prefers a good academic one.

I wonder if anyone has any experience with this and maybe can suggest a home study program, advice or anything that may be useful.

I know a little about this but he needs more specifics and insight than I can give him.

Thanks in advance.

Dizfriz

Luvmybully
11-09-12, 06:30 PM
http://www.connectionsacademy.com/texas-houston-school/home.aspx

I have heard great things about the NC version of online school. Maybe he can start here?

ccom5100
11-09-12, 09:00 PM
I highly recommend Oak Meadow. I used it when I homeschooled ds in 5th grade. It is a secular curriculum that can be adapted to any learning style. The child has choices in each chapter of what type of assignment he/she will do. The early years focus more on learning about the world around you and is very nurturing.

In the middle school grades, the history and literature curricula are combined, so that the novels and short stories you are reading coincide with the period of history you are studying. The science is very hands on with easy to follow experiments. The curriculum is broken up into 36 weekly lessons and is extremely easy to follow along.

zette93
11-10-12, 07:31 AM
There is a forum called Secular Homeschooling that could help him get started. I can't post a link because they have advertising, but you should be able to find it via google.

Dizfriz
11-10-12, 11:02 AM
Luvmybully, ccom5100,a and zette93

Thanks for the responses.

The Connections Academy seems to be free in Texas and has state certified teachers involved to help.

The Oakmeadow program looks very good. Thanks.

The secular Homeschool forum looks good as does the whole site.

The parents have never looked into this before and feel a bit overloaded so thanks. He is one of my oldest friends dating back to the time I was in high school.

I will forward these to him and believe me, he will appreciate it.

To the guests, this another example of why this is a great forum.

Dizfriz

ccom5100
11-10-12, 11:42 AM
Also, if they want to put together their own program (and it is easier to do than you might think), have them check out homeschoolbuyerscoop.org It's free to join and they offer wonderful homeschool curricula at discount prices.

Dizfriz
11-10-12, 11:52 AM
Also, if they want to put together their own program (and it is easier to do than you might think), have them check out homeschoolbuyerscoop.org It's free to join and they offer wonderful homeschool curricula at discount prices.

Thanks. It seems to be out of business and the site is for sale.

Thanks anyway for the effort, It is much appreciated.

Dizfriz

ccom5100
11-10-12, 07:39 PM
Thanks. It seems to be out of business and the site is for sale.

Thanks anyway for the effort, It is much appreciated.

Dizfriz

I'm sorry, I gave you the wrong address; it is homeschoolbuyersco-op.org I forgot to hyphenate the co-op.

Dizfriz
11-12-12, 11:35 AM
I'm sorry, I gave you the wrong address; it is homeschoolbuyersco-op.org I forgot to hyphenate the co-op.
Thanks, it looks interesting and I forwarded it to my friend.

Dizfriz

angora
11-12-12, 03:00 PM
Do school districts in the US offer distance learning options?

We're in Canada so there might be differences.

Our oldest was registered in our school district as a distance learner. It meant we met with a teacher four times a year and she provided all the curriculum.

We could ask for help if we needed it and were required to show projects he had completed. He received regular report cards and had an iep.

It made the transition back to the schools really easy because he had covered the same materials as his peers and did not cost us anything.

I knew we were not reliable enough to follow through on the teaching, so we did hire tutors for 2 hours a day 4 days a week.