View Full Version : Is there a connection between ADD and stomach ailments

capt kylos
01-03-05, 03:44 PM
I have suffered from various stomach ailments all my life ( GERD, Ulcers ect..) And I was wondering if there has been any research into ADD/ADHD and a connection with these disorders. Capt Kylos

ferrette1976
01-03-05, 04:32 PM
I have never heard of any connection between ADD/ADHD and stomach ailments, but I have GERD. It is an interesting thought. I never even considered that before.

Kimalimah
01-03-05, 04:50 PM
Well, you can add me to the list of ADHD with stomach ailments...an ongoing problem. I guess all the pain and confusion has to come out somewhere, eh? In addition, I self medicated for a long time with coffee and cigarettes which also aggravate the problems.

Caine7478
01-03-05, 05:00 PM
I have also suffered from stomach problems my whole life.

This may be a stretch, but maybe it has to do with nervousness and fear from when we were kids and feeling that we where not fitting in the same as kids that didn't have add/adhd.

pineyknot
01-03-05, 05:28 PM
You may be on to something there Caine!

teddy
01-03-05, 06:14 PM
Add me to the list..I have always had stomach problems..and am currently battling GERD and ulcer:( You may be on to something comparing these together...I just got dxed for ADHD..had other stomach problems way before this dx.

Deeperblue
01-03-05, 06:22 PM
and of course there is IBS...I have classic symptoms. And my gastro doc tells me it's because I don't eat. He said that some people live to eat but he claims that i eat to live. Never found too much enjoyment in food. (I do love ice cream---but I have to be really careful) I just forget to eat.

Chicky75
01-03-05, 06:35 PM
I know I've read in a few different places that ADDers are more likely to have IBS. I don't know if there's a correlation between IBS and ulcers or GERD - though both my father (who I'm pretty sure also has ADD and IBS) and I both have had problems with acid reflux (possibly GERD) & gallstones.

I don't know if it's because now that I'm starting to learn about my ADD and have started medication so I'm not feeling as out of control and anxious as usual, or because my dr put me on Celexa for depression, but which has also been shown to alleviate symptoms of IBS, but my symptoms have gotten a whole lot better in the past few months.

Deeperblue
01-03-05, 06:41 PM
when I am under stress, it really flairs up...and becomes a cycle. But most of the time it is just under the surface. I don't go to far from home.

I do know that gerd is a serious condition that needs to be addressed; the acid is bad for the asophagus.