View Full Version : High ammonia levels - chronic fatigue

lowbrainpower
11-10-12, 07:01 PM
Look this up... NOW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatic_encephalopathy

When I had this I was grasping at straws trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I would have killed for this information, especially since most doctors don't give you the time of day and keep saying it's all in your head (tell them to go to hell if you have the energy).

Summary: (hopefully you can read this through the brain fog)
Ammonia is a poison to the body (and especially the brain) when the liver is unable to remove it from the blood. Elevated ammonia levels can cause hepatic encephalopathy (brain fog), which means your brain is being poisoned with ammonia and cannot function properly.

Liver damage is the culprit which can be caused by a variety of factors. Ask yourself if you have severely screwed up your liver before all of your symptoms started.

Even if you don't drink, have hepatitis, etc. look up all prescription drugs you have been on and see the side effects.

The best way to see if you have this problem is to eat or drink NOTHING for 48 hours. It's hard but how bad do you want to get better? Within 48 hours all the ammonia should be out of your system (since all protein from your diet will be eliminated and there is therefore no source of ammonia entering your body). If you feel significantly better then this could be the cause of the problem that has eluded you for years.

You would think eating less would make the fatigue worse, however in my case I always feel better. Less poison in my body = more energy to spend. 2 days without food or water isn't going to kill you, especially when you're bed-ridden all day and aren't going to suffer from ailments such as heat-stroke and dehydration.

Even if this sounds like a crock of **** you might want to consider it. What do you have to lose? I've been there, and my liver damage was caused by the acne drug Accutane. I know this for a fact due to my normal liver panel I had prior to the drug, and my now screwed up blood work years after. I have always been ADHD but this 'brain fog' that was caused by high ammonia levels was something completely different and worse. The only way to describe it aside from chronic fatigue was brain fog on steroids.

Do yourself a favor and get your liver checked out. You can start by water fasting for only 48 hours and see if that improves your symptoms. It was only out of desperation and self-hatred that I decided to starve myself to death, only to find out that once I eliminated food from my diet (specifically protein) I felt better, mental clarity returned, and I recognized what was causing the problem and made doctors listen to me and what I had to say (eating caused my symptoms).

Best of luck,

- LBP

dresser
01-20-13, 12:02 AM
Im new to add and here and I got nothin to loose I looked up you link anfound some other referances nd it kinda logickle nd when i was a kid the older guys would say A fartin horse will never tire nd a fartin man was the man to hire. old cowboys and beans had a lot of wisdom if ya stayed up wind nd listen to the storys llolol

mrs. dobbs
01-20-13, 09:53 AM
you're a funny guy dresser

sarahsweets
01-20-13, 10:05 AM
Does this relate to adhd or some sort of other disorder for you other than the accutane?

SquarePeg
01-20-13, 10:50 AM
I had CFS for years and still have to pace myself some 27 years later. I have liver problems. I canīt drink more than one glass of alcohol as I feel poisoned, my liver canīt process it very well.

This was confirmed when I took the morning after pill and had to be rushed to the emergency room, I thought I was dying. They said my liver and body showed signs of a drug overdose, it was swollen. The doc said that the morning after pill is basically a monthsī worth of the drug in one hit but rarely do they get anyone with my symptoms unless they have had liver damage.

mrs. dobbs
01-20-13, 10:56 AM
It's strange, I have the same problem with alcohol and excessive sugar, I have a hangover and ketones on my breath. I am so foggy I don't know what to do. But I don't think my liver has been tested.

Yet, when I took mifepristone after a miscarriage, I felt fine. Though, I was in the hospital on an i.v. I could have been sufficiently hydrated or something? I wonder which one you took, Peg?

I was just about to go measure my ketones because of this thread.

I wake up every monrning these days shaky, foggy and feeling like I've had a hangover. I have ketones on my breath (I smell them, my husband doesn't) I guess I could be extremely dehydrated though I drink 1.5 liters of water a day.

I have to say that I feel great when I've been on i.v. fluids (no food) for a day.

mrs. dobbs
01-20-13, 01:31 PM
Ok, so my urine ketones are fine. Will check em again in the morning.

tudorose
01-21-13, 06:02 AM
This is where the naturopath and homeopathic meds work well.

Some of the things to support the liver really do help.

dresser
02-11-13, 12:52 PM
feeling tired upon waking =normal - I think somewhat changed since diagnoses will pay att.
nd my meds could influence

hangovers?? never drank any alcohol where i didnt gat a hangover nd sick ( I went through hell to reach Alcholic status) but I worked hard at it and just to go to AA .

are we saying that the amonia and or accutane levels is what made me ill nd brain fog???
first thing in the mornin chain saw in my hand had to look up to see whch way the tree was leanin fell over backwards nd down the hill said nope and whent to sleep I was a west coast logger.
mrs dobbs are ketone for checkin amonia and or accutane levels sorry if i broke or badly bent any rules or offended but me is going to get cheked and find out thanks everyone

dvdnvwls
02-11-13, 02:32 PM
are we saying that the amonia and or accutane levels is what made me ill nd brain fog???
I think we're saying if you do have mysterious ill feelings, brain fog, unreasonable hangover when you didn't drink much or even drink at all, and maybe mysterious liver problems, then this is something you should find out about.

dresser
02-11-13, 03:45 PM
thanks DVD I think you may have miss read what I wrote N I do believe I mentioed the fact that i was getting check. there are some thing about booz I learned the hard way -the symptoms of wheat alergys are the same *** those of alcohol so if a person drinks rye wisky wich one is he reacting to taken from the book 7 week to sobriety .beer was my drink oof choice and beer will increase dopamine levels whare as the amonia could have depleted it
and no where did i leave an implication that therre was any mysterys about my feelings
liver or hang overs

dvdnvwls
02-11-13, 04:05 PM
thanks DVD I think you may have miss read what I wrote N I do believe I mentioed the fact that i was getting check. there are some thing about booz I learned the hard way -the symptoms of wheat alergys are the same *** those of alcohol so if a person drinks rye wisky wich one is he reacting to taken from the book 7 week to sobriety .beer was my drink oof choice and beer will increase dopamine levels whare as the amonia could have depleted it
and no where did i leave an implication that therre was any mysterys about my feelings
liver or hang overs
You're right, I didn't get it. Sorry for completely misunderstanding you.