View Full Version : I can't go on meds right now. Do any of you cope without?

weepygonzales
11-11-12, 08:54 PM
I have combination ADHD. I got a prescription for Vyvanse a couple of days ago. I went to my pharmacy only to find that it was going to be about 160 dollars a bottle. I am heartbroken. I was really looking forward to taking medication. I was happy and excited to try something new, but now I'm kind of stuck for a long time until I get this worked out - get a job to pay for it or something.

What I'm asking here is, are any of you handling your ADHD without medication? Do you have any strategies or tips? What helps you?

ana futura
11-11-12, 08:59 PM
Vyvanse can be very expensive. How about trying generic IR ritalin or dexedrine?

picard
11-11-12, 09:09 PM
can you ask relatives to pay for the meds ? you can pay them back when you get a job.

picard
11-11-12, 09:11 PM
I have serious problem surviving without meds for 2 months. I tried very hard to distract my minds with playing pc games, eat some comfort foods. I don't know the severity of your ADHD. Can you survive on ritalin?

zoomman
11-11-12, 09:28 PM
hey weepy,

Yeah, I stopped my meds last year about this time when it became weirdly impossible to fill my Adderall script. It took a it of adjustment, but, after spending most of my life off meds anyway, just knowing I have ADHD has helped my get through my days.

In general, my family and a few friends have commented that they like me off meds more than on meds. Some strategies I have that have helped:

Never making big decisions on the spot. I always tell people I'll "sleep on it." I also get feedback from trusted loved ones when I don't trust my impulses.
Distrust anger. Generally, I am suspicious of any decision that seems good to me when I'm angry or hurt.
Laugh. I like to laugh and like to hear laughter from those around me.
Own my foolishness. If I say or do something foolish or even asinine, I usually just admit to it, apologizing for odd behavior by just saying something like, "I don't know what I was thinking, but whatever it was, it was ridiculous."
Write copious notes. I keep them and the car keys in the basket by the door and use my natural impassivity to stop whatever I'm doing and write notes to my future self, putting them wherever I know the future me will be.
Keep loved ones close. They accept me, understand me, help me, and nourish me. And that helps me more than anything, I suspect.

Phoenix Ash
11-11-12, 10:13 PM
Shire has a Patient Assistance Program for Vyvanse. If you Google those search terms it should pop right up. You just might be able to get it for free. :)

slipstrm
11-12-12, 03:16 PM
Distrust anger. Generally, I am suspicious of any decision that seems good to me when I'm angry or hurt.
Keep loved ones close. They accept me, understand me, help me, and nourish me. And that helps me more than anything, I suspect.

Some excellent advise Zoomman... These two are the hardest for me to do off the meds. I get really impatient trying to explain things which leads to frustration and then anger. The sad thing that it is usually a family member who gets the brunt of it.

ginniebean
11-12-12, 03:26 PM
Make another appointment, tell your doctor you can't afford vyvance.

That said, I can't take meds, I don't cope that we'll, it's kind of a fly by the seat of my pants deal.

Hyperman87
11-12-12, 04:02 PM
I did for like 8 years. It was so so(okay actually it went badly.) But it's fine if you simply can't take em'.Some people can't take meds(or have to take extra meds due to side-effects.)Some don't have the insurance or funds as that was my problem from the ages of 15 to 23.Then when I got back on Stimulants 1 & 1/2 years ago (Adderall) was kinda unpleasant so I got on Vyvanse & have been on it for a year.

ginniebean
11-12-12, 04:32 PM
Prioritize on paper, if your job is number one priority then it needs to be your major focus, being ontime, getting your work done, everything else has to take a back seat.

1. Get you outfit ready the night before.

2. Wallet, cellphone and keys in a bowl by the door.

Until you know where your major focus needs to go, it's hard.to say what tips you need. Ideally management tips owuld work wonders, unmedicated, you need to prioritize for basic needs.

425runner
11-12-12, 07:35 PM
I get frustrated and angry very easily. Unfortunately my husband is usually the only one around so he gets hammered...poor guy...but he should know better by now to leave me alone when I'm raging like that...

Life is a lot harder for us with ADHD and as much as we try we often end up dissapointed for things not turning out right.

Conman
11-12-12, 08:20 PM
i cope without about 4-5 months out of the year total. im mostly fine, you can tell the difference if you knew i was medicated though. im less...inhibited. i also struggle much more to do work even if i know im staring a deadline in the face

AdamLL
11-21-12, 10:50 AM
Have you read up about Using Turmeric? I am not sure it will help. I have in others it has seem to made a difference.