View Full Version : Best all around serotonin anti d

hollywood
11-11-12, 11:56 PM
Curious which med has the best overall profile and positive rating . Lexapro
, Prozac, Effexor

425runner
11-12-12, 08:00 PM
Care to share your experience hollywood? Lexapro gave me hedaches and made me feel sluggish, annihilated the effect of stimulants, felt like my brain was wrapped in a blanket which was kindda weird but the headaches were intense and laster 2 weeks so I quit.

Never tried Prozac but heard good things about it...was going to ask my new pdoc about it.

Effexor - too scared of the withhdrawals and couldn't get past the nausea

hollywood
11-12-12, 09:36 PM
Well cymbalta low dose really lowered my anxiety and allowed me to focus and be calm , and helped with anxiety . All ssris sucked . Effexor seemed to help , so I am going to take small doses and if I need to stop just use Prozac . There is a process

Flory
11-12-12, 09:56 PM
IMO i like prozac, though all of us vary i guess

hollywood
11-12-12, 10:00 PM
I don't really know what the difference or major difference would be

mirandatoritess
11-12-12, 10:00 PM
are you talking about SSRIs?

hollywood
11-12-12, 10:32 PM
Yup, Effexor versus Prozac specifically

hollywood
11-12-12, 10:43 PM
Anybody know or have a point of view on the difference between Prozac and Effexor ? I felt Effexor worked better even in tiny doses. Is that possible ?

Phoenix Ash
11-13-12, 12:50 AM
I'm curious about this question myself. I know I need to go back on an anti-d, but I'm not sure which one would be best.

I won't go back on Prozac, because combining AMP meds with either Prozac or Paxil is a bad idea. According to Dr. Parker, those two SSRIs block the 2D6 amphetamine pathway through the liver, causing AMP toxicity. (Wellbutrin and Cymbalta can potentially do the same thing, but only at higher dosages.)

Here's where he explains it:
http://www.corepsychblog.com/2012/09/adhd-insights-prozac-paxil-ampehtamines/

Per Dr. P, all other anti-depressants are free from this effect. His favorites are Effexor and Pristiq, although I don't know the details about why he feels that way.

hollywood
11-13-12, 01:35 AM
Cymbalta is good, liked it yet sedating . 20mg isn't bad but can knock you out. Not sure about how to dose them but going with Effexor and will stay at or under 37 mg

hollywood
11-13-12, 09:20 PM
Anything to add to this ? I feel like I cannot do mathematics well with ssris or other any d's,

T-Rex65
11-14-12, 11:58 AM
Cymbalta and Effexor are not considered SSRIs. They are SNRIs. So comparing them to Prozac in that way is comparing apples to oranges. SNRIs affect serotonin levels, but they also affect norepinephrine.

If you want a good overview of different anti-depressants from an unbiased source, I would look here. http://www.crazymeds.us

Personally, I found Prozac to be good a putting a "floor" under my depression, if that makes sense. I didn't spiral down into despair while on it, but it didn't exactly lift my mood, either. Your mileage may vary, of course.

The plus side of Prozac is that it has been around for so long, that the potential side effects are all pretty well documented. It seems, to me, to be the safest choice in SSRIs, and a good first option when you are trying to figure out which med will work best for you.

For me Effexor definitely "worked". But it felt like way more than I needed, and it was difficult to discontinue. I would save that one for a last resort option, after you have tried other meds and found that nothing else is working very well.

hollywood
11-14-12, 09:10 PM
Yeah... I tried Prozac and felt socially tough . I like that , but I didn't feel relaxed and was anxious. It's hard to test out because attention takes a hit then your more anxious.

Electra2
11-14-12, 11:26 PM
Yup, Effexor versus Prozac specifically

Prozak = no effect exept exstatic dreams (good or bad)
Effexor=Effect,but; extreeme withdrawal issues like brainzapps and nausia etc.
Atarax=maybe a little effect,not sure. (I'm on a small dose.)

hollywood
11-15-12, 12:19 AM
I thinks it's Prozac, lexapro or Effexor

Electra2
11-15-12, 12:30 AM
I thinks it's Prozac, lexapro or Effexor

Have never tried lexapro tho. :scratch:
But I asked to start on anti-dep.meds again and the doc perscribed Atarax.
I'm thinking of switching back to Effexor.

hollywood
11-15-12, 01:59 AM
Don't know , Effexor in my opinion is better than Prozac for me . I could feel stopping the tiniest dose of Effexor I felt weird. Must be he'll to come off. I could mathematically function better on Prozac though
, felt nervous though too

hollywood
11-15-12, 06:03 PM
Well either the ceftin for my sinus infection or Effexor made me nervous as h e l l. Not sure which. Man my chest was just jumpy .. Weird .no idea but not doing that again

Electra2
11-15-12, 08:53 PM
yeah I combined some meds once and I kept waking up thinking that I was gonna die because I couldnt breath! It happend over and over that morning.
Horrible.After that I am more carefull!

hollywood
11-15-12, 09:59 PM
I think it was the Effexor . Imagine if it was a full dose scary stuff. I felt like I was on crank , anyways gotta take omnicef so I get the sinus infection out

dasikins
02-04-13, 07:19 PM
Surprisingly I just looked that up and Cymbalta showed 85% approval rating among users. This was from user feed back based on a variety of effects

starry
02-04-13, 08:28 PM
I'm curious about this question myself. I know I need to go back on an anti-d, but I'm not sure which one would be best.

I won't go back on Prozac, because combining AMP meds with either Prozac or Paxil is a bad idea. According to Dr. Parker, those two SSRIs block the 2D6 amphetamine pathway through the liver, causing AMP toxicity. (Wellbutrin and Cymbalta can potentially do the same thing, but only at higher dosages.)

Here's where he explains it:
http://www.corepsychblog.com/2012/09/adhd-insights-prozac-paxil-ampehtamines/

Per Dr. P, all other anti-depressants are free from this effect. His favorites are Effexor and Pristiq, although I don't know the details about why he feels that way.

Very interesting.

I used to take Prozac and Adderall and often got really bad migraines. I had taken Prozac before but had stopped a few years ago prior to starting again and taking Adderall at the same time. When taking Prozac alone I didn't get any migraines. Reading that doctors' findings, I'm thinking that the toxicity caused by that combination of medications might have been the reason for those migraines.
And I never got any migraines after I stopped taking Prozac and continued taking Adderall.

hollywood
02-05-13, 10:48 PM
Prozac any good ?