View Full Version : What could this be???

ritesh
11-12-12, 01:30 PM
I have a friend who am sure is ADHD.
He shows all the symptoms of ADHD.
He is lazy.All ways bullied.Not good at studies.Slow learner.
Has difficulty in socializing.(Complete fun material)
Ppl mak fun of him and he tries to hit back verbally (impulsively )but says words and sentences which no one understands including me.
Once a teacher punished him fr sleeping in the classroom and he ws asked to stand till the class ends and he slept by standing (literally).

I tried to help him to get his diagnosis done but he is not serious about it.

Regarding his sentence formation and word pronunciation its not quite normal am sure.
And in fact he types wrong alphabets and hap hap hazard sentences(words with letters missing or repeating the same words) in facebook comment which no one understands . Suppose we write something we make sure it sounds correct and re- read to make sure there is no mistake but he doesnt do it.

If we assume he has severe ADHD then also i dont think he would type incorrectly or talk things which doesn't make sense .Correct me If I am wrong.

Does he have dyslexia or autism or some other co-morbid condition???

namazu
11-12-12, 07:42 PM
There are a lot of possibilities for a lot of these difficulties -- language disorders, autism spectrum disorders, problems reading social cues, nonverbal LDs, intellectual disabilities, narcolepsy, and other things (and all kinds of combinations).

Is the student in high school or college?

If he's in a public school in the U.S., the school can provide a free evaluation if he is struggling. (I think students at non-public high schools can also be evaluated for free by the public school system, but I'm not certain.)

If he doesn't want to be evaluated, and he's over 18, then that's his choice.

SquarePeg
11-13-12, 04:41 AM
My son has adhd but also disgrafia and posts comments that nobody understands, people also have trouble understanding him when he speaks because he tends to jump right in the middle of something he wants to explain and then work forward or back, so itīs hard to keep track.

IF your friend doesnīt want to change then itīs up to him but I know you want to help. Just carry on being supportive, itīs good to have a friend like you.

ritesh
11-14-12, 04:06 AM
My son has adhd but also disgrafia and posts comments that nobody understands, people also have trouble understanding him when he speaks because he tends to jump right in the middle of something he wants to explain and then work forward or back, so itīs hard to keep track.

Can u give one example which could actually be easier for me to understand disgraphia??I mean link to the facebook comments,if u wish only else its fine.

namazu
11-14-12, 07:08 PM
Can u give one example which could actually be easier for me to understand disgraphia??I mean link to the facebook comments,if u wish only else its fine.
Linking to personal Facebook profiles isn't allowed on ADDF due to privacy issues.

Dysgraphia is a category of LD involving difficulties expressing ideas in written form. It is sometimes applied to problems with handwriting, but also with getting ideas out in words more generally (using punctuation and capitalization, grammar, organizing ideas in writing, etc.). It's pretty common to have dysgraphia along with ADHD, and/or along with other LDs like dyslexia.

This website has some more info on dysgraphia, including some videos with examples/explanation: http://www.ncld.org/types-learning-disabilities/dysgraphia/what-is-dysgraphia

But dysgraphia wouldn't necessarily explain problems with socializing, unless it was part of a larger language disorder, language-based or even nonverbal LD, or other difficulty. Or if the socialization problems came from being made fun of as a result of school difficulty.

What does your friend say about the difficulties? Does he have any insight into what gives him the most trouble and where the problems come from?