View Full Version : Is this so impossible everywhere?

scatteredgirl
11-13-12, 03:27 PM
Alright, so this tiny country in the Baltics I live in is not the most advanced as far as even depression is concerned (most doctors only have an understanding of basic typical worst in the morning depression that's easily treated with SSRIs), so ADD is pretty much unknown. It does seem like only 7 year olds have it here, and as soon as you grow up it disappears/if your parents didn't take you to a doctor while you were underage and get pills for you you're screwed. So far I've gotten prescriptions to every type and class of antidepressant, including MAOIs, and came back from a new psychiatrist with another tranquilizer, of all things:D For sleep and appetite:D I sleep like a baby and eat way too much. I mean, are these people stupid or playing dumb to avoid writing prescriptions that they don't believe in? I'm not poisoning my brain with a bunch of worthless crap I know for a fact won't help me just because it's all available and if I don't, I'm doctor shopping.

Noone here even has a test for ADD to give me, even though I fit the most duh-obvious profile of it you can imagine:D Apparently, the only reason to have concentration troubles is being in deep internal despair, as this newest quack told me:D C'mon, I've tried all classes of antidepressant and benzos, if there was any despair it should be long gone. Others try to push overpriced food supplements that are basically vitamins and fancy sounding herbs.

Is this so difficult everywhere, or should I just give up on doctors in this country?

neewsmonth
11-14-12, 01:21 AM
give up and come here,

doctors are no better, but at least you may find cheaper herbs :D

SpaceBaby
11-14-12, 01:54 AM
I'm taking a magnesium supplement which calms me down... not sure about ADD, I just started taking last night.

Silvermoonstone
11-14-12, 03:16 AM
Ouch..that must be quite rough.

Is there a psychologist (as opposed to a psychiatrist) that you could contact?

I drink green tea on days I don't feel like taking meds. Certainly not the same effect but keeps me alert.

scatteredgirl
11-18-12, 05:39 PM
I used to see a psychologist, and do cognitive exercises like lists and time awareness, but a lot of it seems to be placebo effect. I'm immune to that:D If I wasn't, I probably would've been cured with a plain SSRI, as I really did think I was depressed for the longest time.

At this point, I've done SSRI, benzo and SNRI experiments, plus Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin was the only thing worth my while, but it gave me an allergy so I had to stop taking it:S I'm really not looking forward to proving my point of needing ADD meds by "trying out" MAOIs and atypical antipsychotics, they creep me out and I don't want to turn into a drooling moron. Not to mention doctors trying to get me to take meds that do the opposite of what I'm having trouble with. It's just so twisted having to take meds I know for a fact I don't need and will make things WORSE:S It's almost like it's the middle ages here.

I'm self-medicating with caffeine but I have to skip days and it only works sometimes, sometimes it makes me intolerably sleepy.

Is all of Europe having this problem? I don't even know, is ADD diagnosis really something only available for kids if you're not in the US? How can that make any kind of sense to anyone? Do they really think this problem disappears into thin air if you've gotten to a certain age without offing yourself?