View Full Version : Dose of 90 mg Adderall XR...Comments?

free2bme
01-04-05, 06:41 PM
Hi everyone,

I posted this question on the adderall daily dose thread and didn't hear anything so I'm trying a new route. I would like to know if anyone else here takes adderall xr 90 mg/s per day or more. My dose is at 90 and until I started reading these posts I wasn't necessarily worried about it because my Doctor had titrated it and it wasn't bothering me. Unfortunately, as soon as I read some of your dosages, I about had a heart attack.....panic/anxiety most certainly.

My bp is fine, and except for the occassional feeling of sweating a lot, not much of an appetite, and the sleep issue I have no problems with it at all. As a matter of fact, I have had to take less of my panic attack medicine since I started this protocol, which has been a pleasant surprise. Just wondering if my body is just the fastest adderall metabolizer around or if anyone else out there is on such a dose. BTW, I am 5'6" and close to 140 lbs. Thanks.

Gregster
01-05-05, 05:26 PM
There is no reason to worry about your dosage - if your BP is OK and you have no other side effects and your doctor approves.....Some people just need more than others. You take more than double the dose I take and I’ve got a hundred pounds on you, but you obviously metabolize it differently, or quicker..... Everyone is a little different, for example, I have read that people of Middle Eastern descent often metabolize drugs at incredible rates - the alkali plants in the arid environment they evolved to live in made it necessary for their bodies to deal with far more chemicals in their food, so they have far more of the enzymes that oxidize and break down chemicals than average. This can create big problems - drugs that don’t require metabolization to become active are broken down so fast they almost don’t have time to work, and drugs that DO need to be metabolized in order to become active are turbo-charged! How do you stay on top of that as a doctor?!?
Frankly, you are lucky that you have a doctor that has some experience and isn’t afraid to prescribe a large dose if that’s what you need. Many doctors wouldn’t go over the recommended daily maximum from the compendium, for fear of being scrutinized by the FDA, who keeps close watch on scrips for schedule II drugs.
You may get the occasional raised eyebrow from people when you tell them how much you take - if they have any idea what the “normal” dose range is - but who cares, there is no such thing as “normal” anyway! You’re only going to get this reaction from health care professionals in all likelyhood - like someone at your HMO or Insurance company who doesn't want to have to pay for all that Adderall!
Not surprised that you have less anxiety/panic with the Adderall than without - the internal "frustration" (which is how I categorize this feeling) that drives a lot of anxiety is surpressed by stimulants, or so it seems to me. My ADHD doctor mentioned this to me - he said my BP might actually go down when I started to take stimulants, for this very reason - and he was right.

free2bme
01-05-05, 06:28 PM
fascinating about the middle eastern population! i really appreciate your response. i am a research fanatic myself and had pretty much accepted the fact that as long as it was working and not causing negative consequences, i was going to leave things alone. i have also realized that it may not be worth the trouble it would cause to get into the discussion of how much i take compared to others because clearly, i'm on the high end. i haven't had an issue with my insurance....yet. i wouldn't be surprised if that came down the pike but i am not going to stress over than unless it occurs (which is a true sign that the meds are working wonders, believe me!). i do have a phenomenal doc. he has a great deal of experience in adhd and told me from the beginning that i was going to have to go by my symptoms and my own body and not by anything i researched on the web or anywhere else.....he knows my personality! if he had not said that from the very beginning i think i may have gone into spontaneous combustion when i started checking out the doses other people were on.

again, i really do appreciate your response. you seem to know your pharmacology well which is comforting to a geek such as me who has the need to know everything about everything from every stinkin' angle there is!

illini
01-06-05, 11:21 PM
Too much. I took up to 100mg/day of adderall and I was totally screwed up for many weeks until I realized that it was the unreasonbly high dose of adderall I was on and decided to take it down, way down.

I realize that adderall can actually create the very symptoms it treats. The problem with adderall is that you have to keep taking more and more of it to keep up with the affects.

Time for bed, right now I am just jonesin on how fast I can type and not necessarily on what I am writing.

See ya.!!!

free2bme
01-07-05, 12:27 AM
i appreciate your comments, but in my particular case, the dosage i am on has done nothing but alleviate symptoms. i have at no time felt buzzed or keyed up. on the contrary, as i posted, my anxiety has all but disappeared, my distractibility is all but none existent, and my physical health (blood pressure etc....) has not been adversely affected.

i have come full circle to my original belief that these meds are metabolized and accepted in vastly different ways by different people. for me, this dose seems to be doing the trick. my concern came only from reviewing threads that discussed much lower doses. the fact is, as gregster reassured me, if my doc (very experienced in adhd and highly trusted by me) feels that i am on the right protocol and my body is responding well, i am likely on the proper amount for me. therefore, i am not inclined to make any change.

that said, i certainly understand the raised eyebrow in relation to a dose that seems on the high end. on the other hand, i believe that one of the greatest accomplishments any of us can make in terms of this forum is to get the message clearly across that adhd requires highly individualized treatment.

best of luck to you. i am glad you got your med issue taken care of.

moonlily
01-08-05, 07:02 PM
Boy, we certainly are a lot alike! even the same size! If you are truly ADD (you are) your dose is very specific. Its the folks who are misdiagnosed who sometimes get "high" or genuine diagnosis but extreme overdose. I am on 5mg! Some would say thats too low, but its not. I know myself also. It works fabulous! Your doc sounds very wise, we have to take these forums for what they are, a mix of opinions, lots of fact, some not. Isnt is weird to feel so calm & good on a amphetamine? Im glad its working for you.

free2bme
01-08-05, 08:06 PM
yes, moonlily...it's very odd indeed!

but i am definitely not complaining!!;)

Sylvia
01-11-05, 03:43 PM
I also take 90mg of adderall xr I take 60 in the a.m and 30 around 3ish. I still think I can go higher. I'm 37 5' and weigh 150ish my Dr. told me that I matabolize the meds quicker then others. At first I could stay on task now it seems I hyper focus and dont get everything done.

MindResearcher
01-12-05, 09:35 AM
Hi, I take Regular Adderall 90mg. You say you take 90mg of xr. So basically when you take your first dose, 15mg is released. Then another 15mg is released about 4-5 hrs later. I suppose you take another then. By now, you blood levels should be rising more, as the second dose increases? i may be wrong, but the first 15mg release should work for a good 6hrs. But you may get a double up effect, like taking 30mg between hr 4-6.

Then , taking another 30mg IR about 8 hrs later, when that first 15 mg is long gone , and the second 15g is still kicking, so you again at 30mg.

Your third dose, (this is what i would imagine), but i dont really know much on XR . I actually thought before greg corrected me that somehow 30mg was released constantly from hour 1 to the final hours.

I take 90mg of adderall. BUT there is a reason why, which does explain. 30mg takes effect about 1 hrs after i take it, peak levels state 3hrs and by hour 5 or 6 its already decreasing , which i can feel. So i time it right, taking my second dose on the 5th hour so by hour 6, i dont feel any crash, due to the second dose kicking in. By hour 15, i take 30mg more. My schedule, is like i dont go to bed to 4 am, and i wake at noon. So thats noon, 5, and 11. I have no problem sleeping on it either and yet, im still looking into getting back a bit of adderalls potency. It fluctuates with me, but seems to always work for add, but when it doesnt work great is when you push 30hrs or more with no sleep, which can be done on adderall. Yes, i have stayed up that long, because i just didnt want to go to bed, doing work all night, then it was 7am, and I would not sleep untill noon or more But this catches up to you. THis is the only problem i can say adderall makes me want to stay up as long as i can.

Believe me, im 240lbs, Have a high tolerance , and due to my ADD TYPE 5 , which mainly is the deep lymbic system containing dopaminergic pathways relating to reward and pleasure. So, being such type, not HYPER, but lethargic depression, lack of motivation , and drive, this dose is needed. When i was at 2 per day, from 8pm on i felt crazppy and layed in bed, useless feeling. So that 3rd dose helps me read and do things positive.

Now above 90mg, well im no doctor but i never heard of any perscribed doses that higher than 90mg. Also with XR, some people dont respond well, I did the dexedrine spanuals and i felt like i could take 4 15mg caps. Now maybe i would have done, and most likely would have responded better taking the 5mg IRs x 4 or a bit more 3 x daily. But I didnt want to risk it so i went back on adderall. THe mixture of the salts may be working better for me as apposted to some people. But you go by what your doctor says, and ask him alot of questions, i did, and i basically ran all this by him and got the 90mg iI needed.

Lastly, as far as addictive issues, I would have to say taking more than 30mg at once like popping or snorting 60mg or higher , is a problem. NOT a 3x a day regiment. I never did try 60mg, but i know it would waste my meds, and then my tolernace would be really bad, becasue i would eventuallly have to come back to 30mg.

free2bme
01-12-05, 11:36 AM
hmmmm, just proof that each of us really is different and that treatment for adhd must be highly individulized. the 90 er workds really great for me.

gypsysway
01-13-05, 01:37 AM
Very interesting Mindreasearcher, I have recently started adderall and am having the same reponses as you at 30 mgs. and 3 15mgs, don't seem to be any different, but they seem to be gone in 6 hours. I work 12 hr shifts, and the fact they stimulate the way they do in 6 hours, I go out standing up doing anything, litteraly zombied. If I take lower dose. I can't tell any thing, no help with the symptoms. I was wondering if I should try 2 more, I got the impression that I was going to have to figure out what is going to work for me and how to manage my focusing from the doc. I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow...

Mee
02-12-05, 01:01 AM
illini

The problem with adderall is that you have to keep taking more and more of it to keep up with the affects.

If this is the case and you are at close to 100 mg a day where do you go from there ..

free2bme
02-12-05, 01:44 AM
haven't seen illini around but i can tell you that my dose has been lowered by 20mgs and am doing great.

tractor1
02-14-05, 01:50 PM
You are lucky that your doc is up to date on treatment of adults with ADD. I have been diagnosed and treated for over 2 years, have mostly been on ritalin, tried adderall recently, but it just made me sleepy/zombie. Dr. Joseph Biederman, a psych professor has recently written articles about treatment of adult ADD. In this, he talked about the usual dose of ritalin should be titrated up from 1 to 2 mg per kilogram, so about 70-140 mg total per day. Adderall dose about 0.5 to 1 mg per kilogram body weight, so about 40-80 mg if you weigh 80 kg (176 pounds) . One kilogram=2.2 pounds. My doc looks in the PDR, or some other out of date drug reference, and the dose listed is no where near the above.

midnitemaniac62
04-25-05, 04:49 PM
You are lucky that your doc is up to date on treatment of adults with ADD. I have been diagnosed and treated for over 2 years, have mostly been on ritalin, tried adderall recently, but it just made me sleepy/zombie. Dr. Joseph Biederman, a psych professor has recently written articles about treatment of adult ADD. In this, he talked about the usual dose of ritalin should be titrated up from 1 to 2 mg per kilogram, so about 70-140 mg total per day. Adderall dose about 0.5 to 1 mg per kilogram body weight, so about 40-80 mg if you weigh 80 kg (176 pounds) . One kilogram=2.2 pounds. My doc looks in the PDR, or some other out of date drug reference, and the dose listed is no where near the above.
Do you know if these articles have been published online & if so do you know the URL or maybe post a link to them?

theblueangel
06-03-05, 08:19 AM
haven't seen illini around but i can tell you that my dose has been lowered by 20mgs and am doing great.
Thanks for the update, and glad to hear it! Does it make sense to titrate down the dose and keep going until it starts to lose effectiveness? Is that what you and your doctor are doing?

I've really enjoyed and received a lot of comfort from your posts on this thread I stumbled upon this Friday morning in June. :) Time to go take my XR...

Jem81
08-04-05, 06:29 PM
I am about 105 lbs and I am now on 40mg of XR a day. I take the first 2 at about 9, and the second 2 at about 2. I feel that I should take the second dose a little later but I am so afraid that I won't sleep. I did the kg to mg dosage to weight ration thing, and it says my max is 47mg, so I do not want to go any higher. Tractor I would also like to see where you found that to check in on myslef and my dosgae. Thanks!

Lipz17
08-04-05, 07:19 PM
I was put on Adderall XR 20mg today and was wondering if anyone can tell me there experiences with this med?I know it works differently on everyone but im just curious.Thanks !!!!

brandilyn
08-15-05, 12:53 PM
i keep having to go up too.Is there anything that can keep the effects i get from my first dosage of adderall?It works great for a couple of days then it starts coming back.I still cant complain though.i take a 20ml.xr in the morning and then one at night.My doctor told me not to worry that we would find a dosage that would even out.