View Full Version : ADHD meds and emergency prepardness kits

fuimusbruce
11-15-12, 01:39 PM
I have been searching all morning on google for some information on this and have come up empty. So I decided to find a forum and here I am.

My son has ADHD. My wife and I are in the process of getting our emergency preparedness kits together. I have been searching for information on meds and kits.

How much of a supply should I have in a kit.

How should I go about getting the emergency supply.

Are there laws governing if I can keep an emergency supply and how much I can keep and if so are their policies in place for me to ask my provider for a separate prescription just for an emergency kit. (I live in California, US)

How often should you rotate out meds to new meds.

If anyone has any information or someplace you can direct me to to get this information that would be great.

dogluver358
11-15-12, 04:39 PM
I don't know, but here you can't get any "emergency supply" because it's a controlled substance. Schedule II, I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you're worried, talk to your doctor. Is your child on an immediate release medicine like a tablet? If so and if doc's ok with it, he could double the dose for a month and your child could take half. Say if he's on 10mg adderall or ritalin IR, doc could bump the dose to 20mg one month and your son could take 1/2 tablet. But you'd have to have your doc's approval for this. And it couldn't be done every month. Just once in a while. Only thing I can think of since you're required to get a new physical prescription every month and can't fill more than 1 script in a month.

fuimusbruce
11-15-12, 04:42 PM
He is on concerta time release. Trying to get information from my DR but she is out of town and the DR covering hasnt answered yet.

silivrentoliel
11-15-12, 07:10 PM
I highly doubt you'll be able to get extra for an emergency kit. With it being a schedule 2 drug, they simply won't prescribe you extra as they will with some other types of meds because they can have their medical license revoked.

If you are concerned with having it on hand, just make a note on the kit itself to grab it. That's the easiest thing to do.

Lunacie
11-15-12, 07:49 PM
I live in tornado alley and I keep a backpack loaded with stuff to take with
me to the tornado shelter.

My family puts their meds into those day-of-the-week boxes and keeps
the bottles in a drawer in the kitchen.

When the weather gets scary, I grab all the meds bottles and the weekly
boxes and throw 'em all into a large baggie, seal it up and toss it in the
backpack and I'm ready to run.