View Full Version : L-Tyrosine for ADD and Depression

littlegemini
01-04-05, 09:56 PM
I've been taking this herbal remedy for a week now. I've noticed that I don't seem to have as many problems with my adult ADD. I am going to start taking a multi-vitamin with it that includes B-6, B9 (folate), and copper. They're supposed to help with the absorbtion of the L-Tyrosine. Hope this helps someone. Best wishes. ;)
P.S. L-Tyrosine also helps with depression

Andrew
01-04-05, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the info. Hope it helps others too :)

Coral Rhedd
01-04-05, 11:04 PM
I was just thinking today that it was the L-tyrosine that was helping me the most with depression. That's because I forgot to take it this morning and my whole mood began going south and I felt soooo tired. That was when I noticed the pill was still in the Tuesday section my pill minder. I took it and began to feel cheerier within the hour.

kmart
01-05-05, 11:24 AM
I tried L-Tyrosine for about a week. It gave me a HUGE headache which I normally dont get. I also felt totally zoned out on it. Anyone else have this experience?? I took 500mg on an empty stomach.

hthb
01-06-05, 07:22 AM
If I take L-Tyrosine I begin having a panic attack which have resulted in trips to the hospital :(

littlegemini
01-06-05, 11:56 AM
Kmart, to high of a dose can cause headaches. Try a lower dosage. L-Tyrosine is supossed to help with headaches, but too high of a dose can cause the opposite. Hope this helps.

littlegemini
01-06-05, 11:58 AM
Kmart, also try taking the L-tyrosine after eating a high carb meal, or with a FULL glass of water.

celi17
01-13-05, 03:16 PM
Hey there. Heard about your situation, and I might have some information for you. I have been taking an antioxidant called OPC-3 since April 2004. This supplement has helped me with my migraines, back pains, menstral cramps, etc. This same product has helped many people (different ages) with ADD/ADHD/OPC and Autism. I have become quite familiar with the product, and have lots of information on it. It is made of grape seed etract, red wine extract, and pine barkextract. I will be happy to forward you testimonials I have received from this product, man of which include reference to substituing Ritalin. You can e-mail me. Check my profile.
Hope this helps. Good Luck!!
<!-- / message -->

Trooper Keith
01-13-05, 05:59 PM
The reason L-Tyrosine is good for both depression and ADHD is because it's the main chemical from which Dopamine is synthesized. Dopamine is the neurotransmitter which is used in the body for a whole bunch of things, and a lack of dopamine can cause both attention deficit problems, and depression issues.

ADD1964
05-09-05, 06:21 PM
I've been taking L-Tyrosine for many years...I can really tell a difference in mood/depression if I don't take it. Doesn't do much for my ADHD though, but then again, I could be a lot worse without it. lol

scuro
05-09-05, 07:02 PM
This is what Dr. Russell Barkley said about herbal remedies, "At this time, there is no scientific evidence supporting the use of herbal, alternative, or natural remedies for ADHD, either when used alone, or in combination with other, more established prescription drugs. While the label for such remedies may hold some psychological appeal if not reassurance (natural, herbal, etc.) of harmlessness, that in fact is not the case. Most are useless and some can in fact be harmful if consumed in substantial quantities or used with other medications".

You may have some benefit in taking this supplement but there is no statistical evidence that this holds true for the general adhd population.

ADD1964
05-09-05, 08:50 PM
I didn't say it did-I just said that it helped ME....but then again, different things work for some people and not for others, even though they have been PROVEN to work. Everyone is different.....

stephaniem26836
05-17-05, 04:14 PM
Can anyone tell me where I can find some of these supplements? I've looked for the L-Tyrosine at our local drug store and I cant find it. Also does anyone know what I could take to help calm me down, i'm not hyperactive I just get very angry,overwhelmed,agravated over little things and I was just wondering if there was some kind of supplement I could take to help with that.Thanks.

Stephanie

ADD1964
05-18-05, 12:29 AM
They don't sell aminio acids at local drug stores that often. I buy mine at GNC vitamin store, if you have one of those in your area. Or any health food store should sell them too. Have you tried shopping for the vitamins, etc. online? I buy lots of my vitamins online too-a good place online I like is iHerbs at http://www.iherb.com/store.html and Web Vitamins at http://www.webvitamins.com/default.aspx

I've found that 5-HTP and Gaba is very helpful for the symptoms you described...but with the Gaba, if I take it every day, I tend to get depressed. I'm not sure if that would happen to you or not, but things that calm me down tend to make me depressed after a few days, and then the stimulants make me way too hyper, irritable, and angry/frustrated more. Can't win for losing in my case. lol

jennx
08-29-05, 08:46 PM
I've tried l-tyroosine over the past couple of months. I found it in 500mg capsules . In the beginning it was way too stimulating. Then I went back on strattera (which is too sedating and a downer) and found it to be a good combo for awhile.

Then I noticed that the strattera stuck around in my system longer than the l-tyrosine and made me unmotivated and slightly depressed in the afternoon/evenings.

Now it's back to just the tyrosine. It seems like I'm used to it, because it doesn't really clear my brain fog much anymore or help with motivation.

I'm thinking of trying Wellbutrin again, but am not really happy about the idea. It makes me very edgy, irritable and a little scattered.

Any suggestions?

remnant
09-01-05, 01:55 PM
Hello all. I'd like to suggest you all try something for just one day. For breakfast, try having 1 apple, 1 orange, and 1 peach. Wash that down wiht a glass of grapefruit juice. Please try this just once. You have nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain.

Imnapl
09-01-05, 09:36 PM
Remnant, you don't live in B.C., do you?

STimo
10-17-05, 06:35 PM
Jennx, why not try a a lower dose of L-Tyrosine 2 times a day along with the straterra or even with out the straterra and an even lower dose of L-Tyrosine.

And remnent, I do agree. Im trying to overcome my ADD with out any sort of meds, and with out a doubt a healthy breakfast really helps a ton for me. Especially since I normally never really a te breakfast or if I did it was hardly healthy at all. Diet deffinately plays a large role in my ADD and probably a lor of others. Also try and stay away from refined sugars and cafeine.

happymonkey
11-04-05, 12:59 PM
Wow, I don't know what it was, but I was AWAKE and happy to get out of bed at 8:30 this morning after 7 hours of sleep (usually I need at least 9 and can barely drag myself out of bed by 10). Been on ritalin for a week, which has helped my focus, but yesterday I bought some L-tyrosine and fish oil and took them last night with a late snack. Could either of them give such an effect so quickly?

Dixie_Amazon
11-05-05, 11:11 AM
Thats is one of the reasons I like Red Bull and Amp so much. :D

selby
07-15-07, 04:30 PM
I've been reading a book about Natural Cures which mentions two supplements that I've been taking, 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine. Both of them, according to the author, are meant to combat specific symptoms. Someone lacking in serotonin is negative, obsessive, worried, irritable and sleepless. They would be treated with 5-HTP supplements. Someone lacking in catecholamines is in a flat, lethargic funk and would be treated with L-Tyrosine supplements. You're supposed to take both at a certain dose only until the symptoms have disappeared (you can tell this if you stop taking them for a few days and you do fine).

The author recommends to start by taking one 50 mg. capsule of 5-HTP, to take another if no benefit is received in an hour, and to add a third in another hour if still no benefit is received. The dose should be repeated in the evening, so one shouldn't need more than 4-6 in a day.

For L-Tyrosine, it's recommended to take one capsule in the morning, another in a half hour if no benefit is noticed by then, and another in another half-hour. This is to be done three times a day depending on the person's tolerance of it.

Having depression and ADHD, I must wonder if somehow these supplements conflict as a poster in another thread mentioned. I've been taking both (on an unreliable schedule because I keep forgetting) but may cut back to only taking L-Tyrosine to see if that alone will help.

edit: I took 500 mg. of L-Tyrosine at 1:00 here and another 500 mg. at 1:30. It is now 1:46 and my overall mood has improved. Let's hope it lasts for a bit.

bremersonne
07-24-07, 05:12 PM
First of all, thank you Scuro, for always reminding us to look for research-based information when "experimenting" with supplements! ;) That's important. If you subscribe to peer-reviewed journals and the like, maybe you can all keep us updated to the latest research on supplements and ADHD! I don't and so I do most of my research online :cool:

I did come across some interesting information. First of all, there was a literature review done by Parris M. Kidd in 2000 looking at the role of nutrient deficiencies in regards to ADHD. (Kidd PM. Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children: rationale for its integrative management. Altern Med Rev 2000;5:402-428. http://www.thorne.com/media/attention_deficit.pdf ) He mentioned two research studies that looked at L-Tyrosine:

Wood DR, Reimherr FW, Wender PH. Amino acid precursors for the
treatment of attention deficit disorder, residual type. Psychopharmacol
Bull 1985; 21:146-149.

Reimherr FW, Wender PH, Wood DR, et all. An open trial of L-tyrosine in
the treatment of attention deficit disorder, residual type. American
Journal of Psychiatry 1987; 144:1071-1073

Kidd said that these studies reported "transient improvement" in adults. If anybody has access to those articles, it would be interesting to know some more info. Both studies are 20 years old, so I would think that there are more recent ones done!? Anybody have any information? :confused:

The second article I found was a research study comparing the effectiveness of dietary supplements with that or Ritalin in children with ADHD (Harding KL, Judah RD, Gant CE. Outcome-based comparison of Ritalin versus food-supplement treated children with AD/HD. Altern Med Rev 2003;8(3):319-330. http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/8/3/319.pdf )

It turns out, the supplements were as effective as Ritalin! :D The supplements were based on 8 common deficiencies or risk factors often found in individuals with ADHD (see Kidd). So to address these they used the following supplements:

a multiple vitamin
a multiple mineral
phytonutrients
essential fatty acids and phospholipids
probiotics
amino acids (which includes tyrosine)

There were of course some limitations to the study (such as small sample size, no random assignment, etc), but I think this research study gives a good foundation for future studies. If anybody knows of similar studies, please let me know! Thanks.

So, I decided to start out with tyrosine and then slowly (as I have the money) add more supplements from the list above. Today I started taking tyrosine. 20 minutes after taking it, all of the sudden I had LOTS of energy :eek: (I have ADHD inattentive type - so lots of energy is not normal for me), then crashed for about an hour :faint:, and then had a steady level of energy for the next several hours. :)
I feel good, but I have really warm hands and body (I usually have really cold hands and a low body temperature). It's not really bad, I guess it's just an adjustment from being always cold. Did anybody else experience that?
Also, for those of you who have been taking tyrosine for a while - how much do you take a day? One of my capsules is 500 mg. If you take more than one - do you take them all at once or spread out during the day? Did anybody else get really tired of the sudden or was it just me because it was early in the morning and I'm not a morning person?

Love to hear all of your experiences and advice!

QueensU_girl
07-24-07, 06:21 PM
Why are you taking Copper?

Do you have a Deficiency?

Keep in mind that Copper Toxicity can cause problems, as can other Metal Poisonings...

It can cause a state similar to 'Wilson's Disease'.

Excess copper attacks the liver or brain, resulting in hepatitis, psychiatric, or neurologic symptoms.

You can really injure your Liver with taking Copper in high doses. It is a trace mineral, so we don't need much.

(You cannot live w/o a Liver, BTW.)

If you still want to take it, Please Talk To Your Doctor....

Sargon
07-25-07, 10:21 AM
I take tyrosine before bed and 5-HTP in the morning. One or both of them really seems to help the meds work, although I'm not sure if it's the tyrosine, the 5-HTP, or the combination. I do know that since I've been taking tyrosine, I've been sleeping like I'm in a coma, which is a nice change.

selby
08-02-07, 12:57 PM
Probably the 5-HTP. That stuff makes me really tired. It's good for insomnia. :)

jackey37
08-07-07, 01:42 AM
[/url][url="http://www.eastherb.com/L-Tyrosine/Bluebonnet/p30821.html"]L-tyrosine (http://www.eastherb.com/L-Tyrosine/Bluebonnet/p30821.html) may help athletes avoid overtraining, due to its ability to offset fatigue. L-tyrosine also serves to protect the integrity of the skin. Melanin, a substance which acts to protect the skin when the epidermis has been exposed to ultraviolet light, is derived from L-tyrosine. L-tyrosine, also called L Tyrosine, is not an essential amino acid since tyrosine can be made from the amino acid phenylalanine. Tyrosine is converted into dopamine and norepinephrine. Supplementation with both tyrosine and phenylalanine leads to alertness and arousal.
Phenylalanine and tyrosine are sometimes prescribed as antidepressants, usually in combination with other nutrients and herbs that have mood elevating properties. Some doctors also recommend these amino acids for appetite control. Phenylalanine may trigger the release of an appetite-suppressing hormone in the gut called cholecystokinin. Most individuals who take either of these amino acids notice improved alertness, arousal, and mood, and slight loss in appetite. I have a few patients who occasionally take a small amount of these amino acids, such as 100 to 250 mg, in the morning as a substitute for coffee. Tyrosine side effects can occur on high doses. See a few paragraphs below for a full list of potential side effects.

Crazygirl79
08-07-07, 05:01 AM
Wow...this sounds ok...maybe I should look into it as I'm always on the look out for alternative therapies!

Selena:)

ruyhwong
09-29-07, 12:27 AM
L-Tyrosine (http://allnutri.com/pid5774/l-tyrosine.aspx)is used for stress reduction . I really impressed with this product. L-Tyrosine is an good product and I do believe in it.

Matt S.
09-29-07, 10:01 AM
I am a big fan of L-tyrosine I think it is extremely helpful in holidays and to help medications work their best.