View Full Version : Time Management and ADD. Need suggestions.

jomadado
11-20-12, 12:17 AM
I'm looking for time management tips and suggestions. It seems like no matter how hard I try to master time management, I cannot do it. No matter what apps I put on my iPhone or what calendars I use, I just cannot seem to grasp the concept of time management.

What kind of techniques or tips, apps and programs, have you found to be helpful in mastering your time management issues?

Thank you so much in advance for your input.

SquarePeg
11-20-12, 03:44 AM
What do you think your main problem is. Do you get distracted on the internet? This is a problem for me so when I really need to get things done I stay off the net. Even though I need my computer for my work I donīt go on the net until I have finished.

Do you get up too late, not go to bed on time? Can you give more info.

jomadado
11-20-12, 12:59 PM
I wish I could stay off the internet, but I run a few different businesses (my Jomadado.com shirt shop, eBay, other shirt sites, design freelance, etc.), and they are all internet based. Catch 22!

I tend to get up too late in the morning, however, I also don't go to bed until late (usually 2:30 am), so I don't get up until at least 9:00 am. I have to get up at 7 am in order to feel productive, but if I go to bed at 2:30 am and get up at 7 am, I'm tired and my eyes will bother me... which makes working on a computer quite unpleasant. I also work from home, which is a little trying since I'm easily distracted by all of the daily house work that I feel I should be doing. A few weeks ago, I put together a home office and that seems to be helping out in keeping me focused on business work and not house work. It's still a challenge but working from home is wonderful for someone who is awful with getting to a "9 to 5 office job" on time in the morning.

As for time management solutions... I try to use iCal on my Macbook, and I schedule out my entire day. The problem is that in the graphic design freelance world, projects can pop up out of the blue, and many times they are "urgent" and need to be done ASAP. That knocks my daily schedule out of whack. When things knock my schedule out of whack, that stresses me out. I'm also horrible at time management since ADDers, like me, have no concept of time. I don't realize how long things take. I may plan for a project to take an hour, but it will actually take 2 hours. I'm getting better at breaking projects down by steps, which allows me to realize the total amount of time it will take me to do each project. I'm also using Focus Time, which is a Pomodoros' iPhone app. It's basically a time that is set in 25 minute increments and has a visual graphic countdown element. That helps me break things down in 25 minute increments and that short time frame makes me work faster and get things done better.

The good thing is that I have mastered keeping on top of project details. I use Evernote religiously and it's a great electronic notebook desktop app that allows me to keep track of every client, every project, and every detail of projects. It's a life saver! It syncs online and also with my Evernote iPhone app, so I have access to all my project info with me all the time, no matter where I'm at. Yesterday, I downloaded 2Do for Mac, (which I also have on my iPhone), which is a great app for keeping detailed track of to-do's for all the stuff in my life. I've had the iPhone app for a while and I've enjoyed it, and they just released the Mac desktop app version. I've been using a combination of Evernote, 2Do and Focus Time, in order to keep track of project details, my daily project to-do's, and to keep track of time. So far, so good!

I have mastered a way to keep track of all the detail oriented aspects of my life and businesses... now I just need to master keeping on track and on time. I'm getting there but it will always be a struggle. I am always looking for input from other ADDers on what techniques they use to conquer their time management issues.

Thank you for your input!
Johnny

dvdnvwls
12-12-12, 06:10 PM
however, I also don't go to bed until late (usually 2:30 am)
Just don't do that anymore. People set alarms for getting up. You and I both also need an alarm for going to bed. There is no way to accomplish this except forcing yourself away from whatever you're doing and going to bed. With ADD, where simple actions can take a long time, and the future (i.e. tomorrow) is hard to see, getting to bed at a good time can actually be difficult - but unless you hire a big man with a stick to come to your house and whack you over the head every night at 11, your options for help are pretty limited.

Forcing yourself to get up at 7, every single day not just important days, will be weird at first, but it will help convince your body that it's normal to do so.