View Full Version : Is Extreme Fatigue After Exercise an ADD thing?

The Letter N
11-20-12, 05:43 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else gets this way. For the person who told me years ago jogging will give me more energy, they have a great sense of humor. I always end up more tired after I exercise. My regimen is 3 - 5 times a week (I shoot for 5) jogging a 5K and then strength training afterward. I've been exercising like this for a little more than two years.
I found after my workout, I'm extremely tired. My muscles feel weak and sore. I am also sort of short of breath.

Could it be that I'm not getting enough iron? I've gotten tested by numerous doctors on a regular diet and all have said that there's nothing wrong with my blood: no iron deficiency, no anemia, nothing.

I also am not in as good of shape as I should be. I have friends who have gone from looking like a balloon to a stick within in a few weeks while I have to look at my jiggly stomach every morning.

Any thoughts? :(

prevenscape
06-15-16, 01:55 PM
I have the same problem, I exercise 4-5 times per week, mostly aerobic exercise, I have noticed that after long bicycle rides and strength excercises cause fatigue that can last for days.
I have tried diet modification an making sure I sleep 6 or more hours with no effect, I have tried Modafinil in top of Concerta and it seems to help some.

Pilgrim
06-15-16, 07:39 PM
Look at recovery time. Muscle soreness is part of the process. If your extremely tired your working to much.

burger
06-19-16, 10:31 AM
I have terrible recovery. I don't get extremely tired, sore or weak though. I do mid level cardio for approximately 26 minutes three times per week. A lot of what you are asking will depend on the exercises, etc... that you do. Are you doing drop sets, forced reps, super sets, number of reps, compound exercises, type of cardio, same exercises, etc... Like another poster said I would decrease your exercise frequency and maybe amount. If your body can't recover I am guessing you will be more prone to getting sick which is usually what happens to me.

You could look at your nutrition. I found protein powder helps with recovery and endurance. ON whey worked well for me when I used to lift weights. Currently L-glutamine seems to help a bit. L-glutamine is very often in protein powders but finding it on the label or in the ingredients can be a bit difficult. You could also try creatine monohydrate. Creatine might be useful to offset the stiffness/firmness which might be caused by the L-glutamine. Creatine should make exercising easier. You could try digestive enzymes instead of protein powder to see if they have any effect. Digestive enzymes are similar to taking protein powder for me but different. You shouldn't take digestive enzymes often though or your body might become dependent on them according to other forums posters. There's other stuff but it might interfere with peoples medications.

TheFitFatty
06-20-16, 03:22 AM
I'm going to try and answer each point. ;)

*3 - 5 times a week (I shoot for 5) jogging a 5K and then strength training afterward.
How long does it take you to jog the 5K and at what intensity? And how long do you strength train afterwards (and what type of strength training? are you lifting heavy, or doing body weight exercises).
You may be over exercising.
My regime is 4-5 times a week I do a 25 minute run (5 to 10 minute walk) and 30 minutes of heavy lifting. Any more than that and I'm over exercising and hurting my body and stressing it out.
I also don't strength train more than 4 times a weeks, but mostly I do 3 full body routines a week - you muscles need to recover. On the other 2 days I try and stretch my run out another 15 minutes, and then do about 30 minutes of walking or biking and a light pace.

*I found after my workout, I'm extremely tired. My muscles feel weak and sore. I am also sort of short of breath.

See part of that should be normal. You should be breathing heavy and your muscles should feel like jelly and sore. It should last for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour after you exercise (depending on you). The extremely tired is questionable, but could be dependent on when in the day you're working out. If I exercise in the morning or afternoon, I have more energy afterwards. In the evening, I tend to be pretty sleepy after a good workout.

How do you feel the next day? Do you have more energy in general?

*I also am not in as good of shape as I should be. I have friends who have gone from looking like a balloon to a stick within in a few weeks while I have to look at my jiggly stomach every morning.*

Ah the joys of different body types :). How old are you? Have you had kids? A lot of fitness experts like to bat about the whole "Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise" but there's a genetic % that has to fit in too. Some people will gain muscle faster than others, some will lose fat. Some people are apple shaped and the jiggle around their body will last longer than others. The important thing is health.

TheFitFatty
06-20-16, 03:23 AM
I just realized I responded to a post posted in 2012. Ok. LOL.

*I have the same problem, I exercise 4-5 times per week, mostly aerobic exercise, I have noticed that after long bicycle rides and strength excercises cause fatigue that can last for days.

-You're doing too much aerobic exercise. Try doing some strength training.

Corina86
06-20-16, 02:25 PM
I just realized I responded to a post posted in 2012. Ok. LOL.

It's ok. There aren't many threads around here about exercise and this one just reminded me I haven't worked out in a while. :D

TheFitFatty
06-21-16, 05:23 AM
It's ok. There aren't many threads around here about exercise and this one just reminded me I haven't worked out in a while. :D

Well get moving! I know what you mean though. I got excited when I saw this thread. :lol: