View Full Version : A small triumph but I know you will understand.

SquarePeg
11-22-12, 03:08 AM
I canīt share this with anyone else, they wouldnīt appreciate it. As many of you know my 17 year old has just started concerta after struggling with anxiety and temper explosions for 5 years. She finally admitted to herself that she was struggling at school.

Anyway she had a technology project at school. she had to measure accurately and make a template for a sort of box type figure with a ramp. Personally I couldnīt make head nor tail of it.

She made the first one at home, it was wrong. She met up with friends in the library one evening, they did it together, it was wrong.
she bought another piece of card, reworked the figures and made it again. It was still wrong.

Her technology teacher said "when you first came into my class in September I despaired of you ever achieving anything in my class, you didnīt have any patience, couldnīt concentrate and constantly got frustrated and angry. Even though the box is still wrong, I donīt care. I can see you have put a lot of time and effort into doing it and havenīt given up, and I am so impressed with you. Iīm actually going to give you a pass for that one".

Yaay she was so happy. She told him that she had started Concerta and had been diagnosed ADD recently. They had quite a long chat, he was very interested and amazed that he shared all of her symptoms. he said he always knew something was wrong when he was at school but they knew very little about it when he was young. He said he could never finish anything, he had so many great plans for himself and never achieved what he set out to. He said itīs too late for him now. She told him "No itīs not, my mum has just been diagnosed at 47".

I know you will understand how that little success can give such a boost.

adhdxyz
11-22-12, 03:42 AM
I can definitely relate and that is GREAT news.

I totally agree that your daughter should get a passing grade for her persistence and her not giving up.

My son is 19 and was diagnosed and medicated for adhd since pre kindergarten because he was so hyper. (He takes Metadate.) My husband and I weren't medicated until we were in our 40's and my daughter wasn't medicated until she started college. We all take Adderall.

Throughout the years I have shared my knowledge of adhd with friends, family, coworkers, acquaintances, teachers, school counselors, and anyone/anything that would listen. Awareness is the key.

Fuzzy12
11-22-12, 06:59 AM
Square, I can so relate and your daughter deserves a huge pat on the back for not giving up. I'm so glad her teacher understood and marked her based on her persistence. It must have felt so good for her to know that there is someone in her school who really understands and can even relate.

I give up so easily that the few times when I really persist with something, it feels good irrespective of what I finally achieve. I guess for us persistence itself is so difficult that it in itself becomes the goal.

Lots of hugs to you and dotti and thanks for sharing. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Phoenix Ash
11-22-12, 11:47 AM
:):):):):)

I can't tell you how thoroughly delighted I am with your story, SquarePeg! With all of the struggles that we face and all of the sad tales of frustration we hear on these boards every day, it is just SO lovely to be reminded that things can turn around, that there is hope, that treatment can make such a difference in allowing a person's true talents to shine through.

I'm really thrilled your daughter is doing better, and her teacher is giving her the credit she deserves. And I'm so happy he was open to discussing everything with her. Who knows, maybe she will have changed his life, too. :):):):)

Today it is Thanksgiving where I live. Know what I'm thankful for? You, your daughter, and this story. Thank you for sharing. :grouphug:

silivrentoliel
11-22-12, 11:51 AM
What an amazing teacher to notice the change in her! And what an amazing thing that she kept on trying... I can't say I would have :lol:

Congrats to her!! :D

Lunacie
11-22-12, 11:57 AM
Having done a lot of reading about ADHD and Autism, I definately applaud

both your daughter for her trying and trying again. And I also applaud her

teacher for recognizing the effort your daughter made.

This is something I wish more teachers were taught to recognize. If they

did, kids like my granddaughter wouldn't give up without even trying as

they are sure they will only fail.

Failure or success should not be more important than trying, we can learn

so much from just trying. Think of all the experiments that didn't work out

the first time, but the inventor kept on trying.

SquarePeg
11-22-12, 12:18 PM
What an amazing teacher to notice the change in her! And what an amazing thing that she kept on trying... I can't say I would have :lol:

Congrats to her!! :D

She has kept going for 5 years, and I really donīt know how or why she just doesnīt say F**k it, Iīm done here, cos I know I would have. She just keeps saying, if I donīt pass I will work harder and her latest is "If I donīt pass this year I will go to night school".

salleh
11-22-12, 12:23 PM
You don't really learn by doing something right ....it is the mistakes that teach you how to do it right ......When I am learning how to do something, I will try just about anything , and usually find every wrong way to do something .......

by doing it wrong, I learn WHY and HOW to do the correct method of the stuff I know now how to do ......

doing it right at first .....doesn't really teach you why .....and if you always do everything right the first time, you really don't know what you're doing .....( exceptions to that of course, but for most people it's true )

for most accomplishments, there are several methods of doing something......and doing it well......but countless ways to do it wrong ....exploring the wrong way exposes the correct way ....oh this didn't work, because ......I see it now .....

scrambled86
11-22-12, 01:36 PM
Yey! Big congrats to your daughter! Determination is a great skill, I'm sure you are very proud right now :)