View Full Version : Has anyone managed their ADD symptoms naturally?

darkangel999
11-25-12, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I'm from India. I feel I have the attention deficit disorder. I have not been diagnosed yet, but I have struggled all my life with symptoms like -

poor observation
poor focus and attention
absentmindedness
poor memory(especially about things which i'm not concerned about)
impulsiveness
inability to multitask
takes much longer time to complete a task than average person, and if I am disturbed in between, I find it hard to get back on track to the original task.
low energy
poor maths(I feel i have lower than average iq , or dyspraxia)

I was contemplating visiting a psychiatrist. Before that, I was wondering if anyone here has had success with managing their ADD symptoms naturally.

Thanks a lot. This is really hindering progress in my life...

Zevispaz
11-25-12, 10:52 PM
Poor math skills isn't necessarily a sign of adhd. I know a few people with adhd that are math whizzes.

It could be a sign of dyscalculia (math dyslexia). It just depends on the reason you're doing poorly in it (is it because you can't concentrate on mental math, or because you just aren't understanding the principles).

Anyway, I can manage my symptoms to naturally to the point that they aren't drowning me. But they're still an impairment in the areas of driving, time management, prioritizing tasks, emotional regulation, and impulse buying. I get really stressed and end up shutting down in the evenings without meds.

There's a few things I do that are a pretty powerful combination with the medication.

* Exercise
* Healthy diet (no greasy, overly salty, or very sweet foods)
* Putting everything in a phone planner
* Making a list of what needs to be done, then breaking big tasks down into smaller tasks so they seem more manageable.
* Keeping a schedule with eating, walks, and snacks.

Omega-strain
11-26-12, 12:54 AM
Those are some good pointers.

I know we sometimes neglect to do those things, or do enough good things...like skipping meals when you don't feel too hungry, forgetting to exercise and go to sleep on time.

These things are important and effect performance as much or even more than medication.

Another Natural way is to meditate every day.

Conman
11-26-12, 12:55 AM
Exercise

gemini-dreamer
11-26-12, 01:17 AM
Great advice all of it! I do same -- not on any meds (as yet) but do take some supplements. I take 5HTP which I actually started taking for depression that is also recommended for ADD as well. Also recommended is Omega3, gingko biloba for memory as well as avoidance of sugar, wheat, dyes and preservatives.

Electra2
11-26-12, 01:24 AM
Poor math skills isn't necessarily a sign of adhd. I know a few people with adhd that are math whizzes.

It could be a sign of dyscalculia (math dyslexia). It just depends on the reason you're doing poorly in it (is it because you can't concentrate on mental math, or because you just aren't understanding the principles).

Anyway, I can manage my symptoms to naturally to the point that they aren't drowning me. But they're still an impairment in the areas of driving, time management, prioritizing tasks, emotional regulation, and impulse buying. I get really stressed and end up shutting down in the evenings without meds.

There's a few things I do that are a pretty powerful combination with the medication.

* Exercise
* Making a list of what needs to be done, then breaking big tasks down into smaller tasks so they seem more manageable.

I think what looks lie bad math skills might be a bad recollecting of memory at the time when absolutely needed.Slow prossessing in sertain parts of the brain.

Electra2
11-26-12, 01:30 AM
I dont know any natural treatments that helps for ADHD.
But I know what can make it worse;
Bad health ; unregular meals,lack of sleep,lack of sufficient rest,
lack of proper food and water,lack of exersice,
mental pressure and stress,poisons and to much disipline and strictness.
To high expectations.Critissism.

minuss
11-26-12, 01:36 AM
dyscalculia can come with ADHD. I find myself doing all my math work perfectly. Better then any one that was it the class. Why It didn't translate was because My only mistake 90% of the time was those last parts of simplification. Like when you break everything down and figured out what X is. and then all you have left is -1 +1. And I would put a 2! even when I would double check.

But personally, as far as exercising, quitting smoking, eating better, suppliants ect. nothing has helped me. But like me meds we are all different a simple job around the block may be all one needs to be a bit better. Besides having ADHD it is good to have an extra reason to be healthy

darkangel999
11-26-12, 07:53 AM

The issue is that I have performed very well when I have a good mentor to support me. For instance, when I was a student, my ability to perform well in subjects including maths depended on my teacher of the subject in that particular year. Some of the teachers have a humorous way of teaching and are able to explain concepts in simple terms. And I have excelled in those subjects just due to their teaching. If I'm bored with the teaching methods I drift to daydream.
When I worked, i did well, whenever I had a good mentor or boss, who tells me exactly what to do and also advice on how to get things done. When they leave I feel lost and either I am not able to get things done or I always end up doing the wrong things. But unless I stop depending on other people for my success I cant excel at work, will be stunted and eventually out.

* Exercise

Thanks, I will definitely try the excercise. Its just that I'm just not able to find the time and I feel so overwhelmed. I'm just not able to get up on time even after setting the alarm clock and by then I have to attend to my son who had speech delay and behavior issues , study for a job(which I am not able to concentrate). It feels so hard to do even basic things properly like bathe or brush teeth etc..

darkangel999
11-26-12, 07:55 AM
Another Natural way is to meditate every day.
I tried praying, but even that i'm not able to concentrate and my thoughts drift and i only end up blabbering for namesake, instead of truly praying..

darkangel999
11-26-12, 07:57 AM
Great advice all of it! I do same -- not on any meds (as yet) but do take some supplements. I take 5HTP which I actually started taking for depression that is also recommended for ADD as well. Also recommended is Omega3, gingko biloba for memory as well as avoidance of sugar, wheat, dyes and preservatives.

gemini, has 5htp stopped your depression? which brand do you take. how much omega3 do you take (ie epa and dha) and which brand?. and with these supplements you have managed your symptoms?

darkangel999
11-26-12, 08:06 AM
dyscalculia can come with ADHD. I find myself doing all my math work perfectly. Better then any one that was it the class. Why It didn't translate was because My only mistake 90% of the time was those last parts of simplification. Like when you break everything down and figured out what X is. and then all you have left is -1 +1. And I would put a 2! even when I would double check.

With maths I end up making what others would call careless mistakes, even if I happen to know what I need to do to solve a problem which is highly numerical. In one of my jobs I was told to observe statistics on a server on performing some tests and report the numbers. After I sent the report, the next day, a person from the client said that the stats were all wrong and sent another report what he saw. When I checked again, lo and behold his stats were correct and I could never understand how I made such a mistake. This was always the case, when the jobs ere highly numerical in nature.

But personally, as far as exercising, quitting smoking, eating better, suppliants ect. nothing has helped me. But like me meds we are all different a simple job around the block may be all one needs to be a bit better. Besides having ADHD it is good to have an extra reason to be healthy

what are you doing to manage your add?

minuss
11-26-12, 01:09 PM
With maths I end up making what others would call careless mistakes, even if I happen to know what I need to do to solve a problem which is highly numerical. In one of my jobs I was told to observe statistics on a server on performing some tests and report the numbers. After I sent the report, the next day, a person from the client said that the stats were all wrong and sent another report what he saw. When I checked again, lo and behold his stats were correct and I could never understand how I made such a mistake. This was always the case, when the jobs ere highly numerical in nature.

what are you doing to manage your add?

I haven't been diagnosed and have not had the chance to look in to dicalculia.

But careless mistakes is definately what I have. Its the simplest of problems.
I used to work at a place that involved finding items based on number and location coordinates. I was slower then every one and made more mistakes.

I am not managing my ADD. But only trying to.
Personally I would focus more on the ADD over the discalculia, even if there was a way around it , it would still be a bit stress full. Have a good idea of what the field you are in actually requires.

Electra2
11-26-12, 01:26 PM
I asked the psychologist who explained to me the result of the intellence test that took 16 hours that I had to go through when they first expected I had ADD.
I said I have got the absolute worst grade in math at school even though I delivered the papers and I sat there and even took after school-classes to get better.
She said that no I was actually not so bad in math but that I might have Dyslexia...Dyslexia in addition to ADD !!! I dont have troubble reading at all.
This doesnt make sence to me.
My problem is in a test I had read everything about witch techniques that was supposed to be done for each math-challange.
But in a test situation I could not recall them.
I knew the answer to the questions, but I was unable to explain Why I knew them.
And when we had to stand up in class and answer
"what is 8 times 8?"
I could not remember even though I knew,so it looked like I did not read.

Lunacie
11-26-12, 01:26 PM
gemini, has 5htp stopped your depression? which brand do you take. how much omega3 do you take (ie epa and dha) and which brand?. and with these supplements you have managed your symptoms?

Everyone is different.

5htp didn't help me at all, but a daily dose of Omega 3 works great for me.

I take just two 1,000 mg gel caps each morning. Some may need 3 or 4.

Some don't get any symptom relief but choose to take it for overall health.

Some insist that expensive "pure" brands are best, some insist that krill oil is best.

I get it at a dollar store and it works better than the expensive brands I've tried.

Electra2
11-26-12, 01:45 PM
Everyone is different.

5htp didn't help me at all, but a daily dose of Omega 3 works great for me.

I take just two 1,000 mg gel caps each morning. Some may need 3 or 4.

Some don't get any symptom relief but choose to take it for overall health.

Some insist that expensive "pure" brands are best, some insist that krill oil is best.

I get it at a dollar store and it works better than the expensive brands I've tried.

I take krill oil right now and I hope it will work soon.
I have taken omega3 for years earlier and I can't tell any difference,
(and neighter did diets without milk or gluten, not eating sugar and some other.)

( Maybe a diet of only milk products can have helped to stop my epilepsia (grand mal) along with Lamictal,but this is unsure and the diet should be followed up with help from a doctor, to avoid potencial dangerous side effects.)

Be carefull not to waist time,money or other resources.

darkangel999
11-26-12, 01:49 PM
My problem is in a test I had read everything about witch techniques that was supposed to be done for each math-challange.
But in a test situation I could not recall them.
I knew the answer to the questions, but I was unable to explain Why I knew them.
And when we had to stand up in class and answer
"what is 8 times 8?"
I could not remember even though I knew,so it looked like I did not read.

Doesn't this look more like a memory problem? How did the psychologist conclude that you knew the answer?

darkangel999
11-26-12, 01:59 PM
The high dosage omega 3 from fish oil was the one that triggered my sons speech, within 2 weeks of taking. And he is also on a casein free diet with digestive enzymes.
I so far have not invested on myself. I tried the diet with no gluten/casein/eggs/soy, but i ended up with acidity, coz i think i am so addicted to casein and gluten that i simply do not like eating anything else much. I was thinking of buying super epa of now foods and taking 4 caps per day to bring the aggregate intake of epa per day to about 1.5 gm and dha to about 800 mg per day. i'll try this for a month and see if i'm really seeing any benefits and drop it if i dont see anything in a month, coz i feel if there are any benefits 1 month is more than sufficient time to access if the supplements helped. I also read that phosphodatyl serine helped some. so I'm planning to try that out as well for a month. if they dont work, then i dont know , what else i could do. i'm as much as possible trying to avoid medication, coz my dad died from overdose of sleeping meds, so the fear of probable overdose and likelihood of addiction is always there with me.

Electra2
11-26-12, 02:45 PM
The high dosage omega 3 from fish oil was the one that triggered my sons speech, within 2 weeks of taking. And he is also on a casein free diet with digestive enzymes.
I so far have not invested on myself. I tried the diet with no gluten/casein/eggs/soy, but i ended up with acidity, coz i think i am so addicted to casein and gluten that i simply do not like eating anything else much. I was thinking of buying super epa of now foods and taking 4 caps per day to bring the aggregate intake of epa per day to about 1.5 gm and dha to about 800 mg per day. i'll try this for a month and see if i'm really seeing any benefits and drop it if i dont see anything in a month, coz i feel if there are any benefits 1 month is more than sufficient time to access if the supplements helped. I also read that phosphodatyl serine helped some. so I'm planning to try that out as well for a month. if they dont work, then i dont know , what else i could do. i'm as much as possible trying to avoid medication, coz my dad died from overdose of sleeping meds, so the fear of probable overdose and likelihood of addiction is always there with me.

I am very sorry to hear about you dad! Offcourse you fear it then.

:grouphug:

Simenora
11-26-12, 02:45 PM
i exercise, take omega 3, 5htp, do mindfulness meditation and take Ginko and Maca. Rhodiola helps with depression

Electra2
11-26-12, 08:37 PM
i exercise, take omega 3, 5htp, do mindfulness meditation and take Ginko and Maca. Rhodiola helps with depression

Mindfullness, (meditation) the way Ana Futura described it in an earlier thread is good,
I think.
("Mindfulness Meditation training in adults and adolescence with ADHD")
Also It' good to observe your thoughts in therapy settings,because you may become aware of your self in ways you have not before.
(Even though to me it can't compair to the effects of medication,IMO.)

darkangel999
11-26-12, 11:53 PM
I'm just wondering, if exercise really helps with ADD, then why did I have as severe symptoms as I have now, when I was a kid, as back then, I was involved in a lot of sports, like athletics, table tennis, hockey, basket ball etc, and hence had more than enough exercising. I feel exercise may help with depression or feeling of low to a varying extent, but it does not alleviate other symptoms....

meadd823
11-27-12, 01:26 AM
Every one is different -Just as with all treatments exercise may benefit some more than others.

minuss
11-29-12, 03:09 AM
Mindfullness, (meditation) the way Ana Futura described it in an earlier thread is good,
I think.
("Mindfulness Meditation training in adults and adolescence with ADHD")
Also It' good to observe your thoughts in therapy settings,because you may become aware of your self in ways you have not before.
(Even though to me it can't compair to the effects of medication,IMO.)

Uh Oh, now you open the door for the idea of biofeedback.
I just cant seem to dismiss it. That; and true awareness meditation where one would separate himself from his thoughts by not entertaining them ( I hate using the meditation it seems so unsciency and vague and yogayee)

Omega-strain
11-29-12, 06:54 AM
Meditation is yogayee, so is Yoga! They may not help with all ADD symptoms but are beneficial for overall health and relaxation. ...Something we all could use.

I used to just listen to ambient music in the dark and try not to think about anything for a while. I call that meditation.

darkangel999 - perhaps you could try a different way to learn mathematics, not everyone does it the same. Truth is we don't know how we learn things exactly.

Math was my best subject in school, and I made it to university (for physics) because of it. If you find a subject interesting it's natural to pay attention to it - I find ...but not always easy.

Try reading a different book, in plain language to get the ideas, then move on to the school text-books (some of which I find very dry and lack imagination). Math is a fascinating subject.

I've also tried many of the supplements people mentioned, most were not very effective for me, though should be in ones diet anyways. (Omega-3s, Tryptophan, Vitamins and minerals, etc.)

If you want to try a non-prescription drug, that some find helpful, including myself - you could look into Nootropics like Aniracetam. On its own I find that it helps me with mood, feeling calm and I guess also focused. It also seems to work with stimulants, getting a benefit from a much lower dose - avoiding the negative effects.

I am pretty much experimenting on myself though. I wish I didn't need to, but life is complicated.

Good luck with your studies as long as you're doing what you love.

LunaTehNox
11-29-12, 10:36 AM
A friend of my dad's is ADD, and he manages them naturally. (I don't. I take meds.) Anyway, what he does is he takes a little time each day and finds a quiet place. I think he said.... sit criss-cross on a pillow, and put your hands on your knees. Sit up straight and take deep breaths. Then, start counting in your head. Visualize the numbers as you do so, picturing them. You can start low, like to ten, but I think he does 50. Every time you lose focus or get distracted, start over.

Also, he takes martial arts. I think that helps.

Lunacie
11-29-12, 11:00 AM
Meditation is yogayee, so is Yoga! They may not help with all ADD symptoms but are beneficial for overall health and relaxation. ...Something we all could use.

I used to just listen to ambient music in the dark and try not to think about anything for a while. I call that meditation.
>>

A friend of my dad's is ADD, and he manages them naturally. (I don't. I take meds.) Anyway, what he does is he takes a little time each day and finds a quiet place. I think he said.... sit criss-cross on a pillow, and put your hands on your knees. Sit up straight and take deep breaths. Then, start counting in your head. Visualize the numbers as you do so, picturing them. You can start low, like to ten, but I think he does 50. Every time you lose focus or get distracted, start over.

Also, he takes martial arts. I think that helps.

Thank you both for pointing out that there are other ways to meditate.
It doesn't have to be making one's mind empty of all thoughts.
That's difficult for anyone to do, let alone someone with ADHD.

I find active meditation to work well for me, when I'm doing something like
sweeping the floor, washing the dishes, folding the laundry, going for a
walk ... something that doesn't take a lot of attention and focus.

Having the 'busy' part of my mind occupied allows the 'thoughtful' part
to have a conversation with itself.

Since the 'busy' part of my mind is occupied with doing something physical,
I don't keep interrupting myself with random thoughts that pop into my
head (like what's for dinner, did I pay the phone bill or not, etc.).

darkangel999
11-29-12, 01:26 PM
Truth is we don't know how we learn things exactly.

Exactly true for me.... I'm a very poor self learner...When I am reading and I come across something which i dont understand, instead of trying to figure it out, I would drift instead and then take a long time to come back to the subject... and then again drift...

Omega-strain
11-30-12, 01:32 AM
lol That comment seemed random! People were talking meditation then we're giving old ladies fingers...

darkangel999 - "... and then again drift..."

Maybe you give ADD too much credit. Human minds naturally space out and drift into different thoughts, memories, and conversations. As my yoga instructor once said - treat the mind like you would a child, when you notice it drifting from what it's supposed to be doing, patiently bring it back to the task - eventually it will get easier and take less effort.

I guess that is how everyone learns. At first we rely on others to tell us what to do, but then we begin to talk to ourselves and manage things internally "self-talk". Sometimes it's subconscious, though it can be like a voice in your head too...your own voice.

I do that when I am reading, explaining things to myself...and other times I imagine having conversations with other people. It's kind of like in Fight Club...I've always liked the idea of having an alter ego. (presumably not insane or self-destructive, but one who supports and takes care)

Maybe a "natural" non-drug way to cope is to create such an alter aspect of your mind, one who does not have ADD and is always sharp and organized.

The brain can function in measurably different ways in people with multiple personalities, so why not, it's possible.

ADHDExtremeHelp
11-30-12, 01:51 AM
Definetly. Im' probably the only one who knows this, because I'm the first person on the planet with ADHD to actually find a literal cure for it. No medication, some theropy (just if you have a question) because therapists are knowledgable people who help you when your cure doens't work.

Don't be to happy though if this doesnt work for you. It will work for 90% of the people who hear it.

Anyways, ADHD is a disease where you black out, and have, in my opinion, a constant brain fart. I don't know if I should be sharing my age, but I'm in school. I know how to get good grades (Only bad grade C being my math XD I'm horrible at it) otherwize I'm A's in everything and I have a particularly thick strain of ADHD. My secret: Bad handwriting, Backfiring, Making Connections, and force.

Bad handwriting works with notes. A handwriting that teachers, or bosses, teachers in my case don't need to read. Sometimes the teacher may want to read the notes. If she does, then do your best. If she doesn't, then you can scribble away on the page without having to worry about problems with someone reading it because you'll be the only one to read it. Don't worry, it's not an issue with bad handwriting.

Backfiring is what you'll do when a bad thought, or disturbing one pops into your head that you just cant get out. Change it to something else. Think of something else. Even if you think you're loosing control just FORCE it. I'll be discussing the power of force in a later paragraph. Anyways, you have control over your mind. Tell yourself this, and you'll soon find out you truly do.

Making connections is where you can take two ideas. For example: My other friend gets A's in everything, while I get a C in math and A in everything else. Sure, I'm happy with myself (just a year ago I was failing), and I was depressed. Making connections is how you patch up the thoughts in your head and keep them from charging around in there. Like tying them together. You need to keep them strained, and make sure that they can't take over your brain. Let's say, when you feel sick, remember the fact that you're one person, in a whole seven billion people. Somehow this makes me feel better when I have the stomach flu. Just make yourself feel small. Really, not in a negative way. Remind yourself you're not alone and that you're only one in seven billion people.

Force is my favorite, and I recommend that if you didn't understand those last paragraphs you will listen closely to this one. When you're procrastinating, or lazy, or tired, or hungry. Lets say you're on a couch, watching TV, and you have a really important project that you have to do. What you're going to do now is literally FORCE yourself to the desk you have to do it at, take out your stuff, and begin! It's ok if you get things wrong, or make mistakes. Everyone does. Force yourself. The main reason people procrastinate is because they are worried they might do something wrong, or don't understand the process of what they're doing. Just do what you think it is. We live in the 21st century. Go online, ask a friend or familey, read a book. Whatever it takes to recover unknown information. If you're inschool and don't understand, FORCE yourself to stay after school if possible at your math class like I do or get a tutor.

Well, I hope I helped you. I'm launching a whole ADHD help website. I'm not sure if this is going to help anyone because I currently have another task I have to get to and I'm sort of rushing this, but if you visit my own post or website I'm sure I can help you there. Also, messaging me if you can on this website works too.:yes::D

Electra2
11-30-12, 02:01 AM
Uh Oh, now you open the door for the idea of biofeedback.
I just cant seem to dismiss it. That; and true awareness meditation where one would separate himself from his thoughts by not entertaining them ( I hate using the meditation it seems so unsciency and vague and yogayee)

Hahahahah :D
Aum Shanti Aum Shanti Aummm Shanti Shanti Shanti ;)
Aum Shanti Aum Shanti Aummm Shanti Shanti Shanti :p

Well,leave the intuition and stillness of Zen to me,then,
I'll deal with it ;)

But,srysly, I have never tried biofeedback.
I don't primarily beleave in treating adhd the natural way,
but I don't think it hurts to supplement sertain natural methods
to medications eighter AS LONG AS IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT!!
:)
It has to be a seconary add-on to meds.;)
I think alternative methods has more or less the same effect on us as it has on NT's.

Btw I also think it's important to think things through in a silent moment in a relaxed state
because it ...put things more into perspective,or difficult things can clear up more
easily maybe because of increased bloodsirculation to the brain or what the bleep do I know,
but it does help to analyse things in a quiet manner every day for me.
I need to do analysation/think things thru a lot after I have been sosializing for some reason or I get stressed.

minuss
12-08-12, 02:07 AM

darkangel999 - perhaps you could try a different way to learn mathematics, not everyone does it the same. Truth is we don't know how we learn things exactly.

Math was my best subject in school, and I made it to university (for physics) because of it. If you find a subject interesting it's natural to pay attention to it - I find ...but not always easy.

Try reading a different book, in plain language to get the ideas, then move on to the school text-books (some of which I find very dry and lack imagination). Math is a fascinating subject.

I've also tried many of the supplements people mentioned, most were not very effective for me, though should be in ones diet anyways. (Omega-3s, Tryptophan, Vitamins and minerals, etc.)

If you want to try a non-prescription drug, that some find helpful, including myself - you could look into Nootropics like Aniracetam. On its own I find that it helps me with mood, feeling calm and I guess also focused. It also seems to work with stimulants, getting a benefit from a much lower dose - avoiding the negative effects.

I am pretty much experimenting on myself though. I wish I didn't need to, but life is complicated.

Good luck with your studies as long as you're doing what you love.

Just jumping in here again. I hate the meditation. what you mention, relaxing I honestly believe is useless. The word yoga is the even worse. I do not see how excessive fits in to relaxing but there is alot i dont know.

What I do know is the meditation I talk about is actually what I now refer to attention awareness manipulation. Manipulation is the key word here, it is about actually changing the thought process. This sounds very hard, next to impossible. But this system does not mean that you try to not be late by using another Technic to remember or keep track of time or use an alarm.
This is more about letting things flow as they normally do but play with how we give attention to ideas we have... I know again very vague and unsciency.

Just to give you an idea. It is said that under mri a clear difference is seen between the two.

This is not about a shot of relaxation. This actually requires some work and can be some what difficult to stay on track. but it is a permanent change. During this change of priority of brain function alot of things happen.

As we all know, scientifically love for example is not something that is given to us. it is always in us. we allow other people to bring on that emotion. but its all in our head all the time as is anger.

Scientifically it does not take a 3rd party to feel this emotion. Since we are re arranging our brain one of the side effects is full control over such feelings. Just like our capability to scratch our nose we can turn on the feeling when ever we like. But that brings on the question what will happen to those we love or want to love. or if we need people at all. the answer is kinda scary. but so is ADD.
----------------------------
As for math my trick was to not do the excersizes. the exercises seem to be a useful tool for NT's, But for me they did nothing but frustrate me. Actually understanding where a formula comes form and how it is derived takes memory out of the equation. While other use their memory that is biased to typical questions using this Technic allows us to change from a recall excersize to a funner problem solving exsersize. it also really helps in getting all those trick question. You will find that what others really struggle seem to be as easy as simpler questions. You kinda look forward to the trick questions.

Didnt work for Calculus. It takes a while to to learn how a formulae actually works, and cal seemed to be based on massive amounts of formuleas that seemed so simple but there was never enough time to understand the 100+ formulas. Maybe if it was presented in a logical way rather then a memory way. I wonder if any one knows what I mean or if it is just me?

minuss
12-08-12, 02:32 AM
Hahahahah :D
Aum Shanti Aum Shanti Aummm Shanti Shanti Shanti ;)
Aum Shanti Aum Shanti Aummm Shanti Shanti Shanti :p

Well,leave the intuition and stillness of Zen to me,then,
I'll deal with it ;)

But,srysly, I have never tried biofeedback.
I don't primarily beleave in treating adhd the natural way,
but I don't think it hurts to supplement sertain natural methods
to medications eighter AS LONG AS IT IS NOT A REPLACEMENT!!
:)
It has to be a seconary add-on to meds.;)
I think alternative methods has more or less the same effect on us as it has on NT's.

Btw I also think it's important to think things through in a silent moment in a relaxed state
because it ...put things more into perspective,or difficult things can clear up more
easily maybe because of increased bloodsirculation to the brain or what the bleep do I know,
but it does help to analyse things in a quiet manner every day for me.
I need to do analysation/think things thru a lot after I have been sosializing for some reason or I get stressed.

Electra, your attitude towards meditation seems to be much like mine was. And to be honest I can respect one who doubts it more then one that tries to defend it. I most cases it is not really based on any science and there is no logic to it. I would have to say that if typical meditation (or relaxing) is of any use then go take a nap.

What I am reffering to actually makes sence. Not based on what people say but based on logic. I would love to expand on the the topic in another thread.

but talking about learning I often wonder what happens to the thing I tried to remeber? I always assumed it was not stored in my brain. But after thinking about it I think It is in there, it just cant be recalled.

Why cant it be recalled? same reason i dont know where my keys are. when I put them down or when i stored the information I did no in a very lazy way.
The piece of information was never stored in a logical way as would be seen in a library. In a library there is a bunch of ideas. probably more then is in my head. but because they are stored in a logical way they are easy to retrieve.

Maybe simply forcing your self to remember is not the easiest way maybe we need to imagine a title and imagine a folder and a filing cabinet where things are grouped?

I have no idea, what I do know Is I once tried an experiment. I took a deck of cards and tried to remember the cards. needless to say I made it up to 3 cards and not the suits.

Then I tried a techinc I heard about specifically for remembering cards. and that was to make a story, such as

One day there were 2 lovely kings one bought his wife a diamond but in actuality he was sleeping with the joker on the side... ect

I made it to something like 13 cards numbers and suits. I could of kept going on... I think this is better then most NT's.

Also another technic that I had no idea would be so strong was given by a teacher. A poem was written on the black board. (language in any form is my week point) we were told to read it over and over. every time she would erase just one words till it was all gone.

the teacher said that students that she bumped in to years down the line remembered it. I said to myself yeah right.

but i remember to this date
there are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold. the Arctic trails hold their secret tails that would make your blood run cold.. I don't even know what moil means so you can imagine how hard it is to remember. That being said I do not use the Technics. its much easier to give up.

Davoss
01-09-13, 11:17 AM
Hi, I was trying to treat ADD by physical activity like swimming ,cycling,running ,gym,and maybe some executive function getting better then before,but I am not sure If it is caused by time(I have made sport for 4years)or excercise,but I red that during some sports ,brain is became more perfusion then normal and new nerons synapse could be created more easily,but punch line of excercise for me is that make me less anxious and I feel better.In my country was started selling Biofeedback for personal uses and price is acceptable for me so I am going to buy it and I will see, what it do with me ,for your information ,there is website with this device http://www.psychowalkman.cz/products/neuroset-professional/
Is this offered in your country and if is,Do you have any experience with this?
Sorry for my english,but with my ADD I thing that won't better .