View Full Version : Did ADHD treatment help your ED?

JazzGirl
11-25-12, 04:57 PM
Tomorrow I will be finding out for sure if I have ADHD-Inattentive type. My therapist and doc are pretty sure I do but my therapist wanted me to take the conners test first just to make sure, especially since the meds I could be taking can cause weight loss and I am barely at my "healthy" goal weight.

Did you find that meds helped with your eating disorder?

Right now I am going back and forth between restricting (a bit) and wanting to over eat. The obsessive weight thoughts are driving me crazy and so is the over eating!

I am working with a dietitian as well as my therapist and ED doc. They all said that they would be there to make sure I don't lose weight but I am still a little worried.

I would love to be able to focus for once and not have obsessive weight thoughts constantly.

AlphaOne
12-18-12, 05:24 AM
I do not recall obsessing about food and weight thought when I was treated for ADHD.

When I was taken off med I started to eat like I got bulimia. I thought about food constantly, and went into bathroom 50 times a day to look at myself.

I gained 40 lb.

over 60 days.

I don't recognize myself in the mirror

Filthy & sick

I hope this information helps

be careful out there

BearCub
02-19-13, 01:18 AM
I was suffering from bulimia before I received my script for Adderall. Once I began taking Adderall regularly, my binges stopped. I no longer obsess about food, and I am able move on with my life. Great feeling.

Only problem is when my medication wears off... I feel my ugly, negative thoughts creeping back. Also, waiting for refills is a problem. I'm bad about doing that in a timely manner. Found myself bingeing those couple days I went without my meds. UGH.

All in all, my bulimia is MILES better. That's my story.

starry
02-19-13, 03:04 AM
Absolutely!
Changed my life completely for the better, by helping me control the binges, which were daily and constant. And thus stopping my bulimia, which would have eventually killed me.
I have to state though, I ate whether I was hungry or not..... so even though Adderall does suppress my appetite greatly (which I am thankful for), if it didn't help me control my bingeing- I would still eat and eat and eat until I felt sick.

So the medications' effect on my ED, goes way beyond just simply suppressing appetite. Not only does it help control by bingeing, purging, but also any other addictions I had, like my addiction to shopping, people, love etc.

I do however still have problems with hyper-focusing and general time management.
That is something I'm still working on. It's always a work in progress. With the good days and not so good days...

curxxx
03-23-13, 11:52 AM
I was binge & purging at least 3 times a day before I started Vyvanse, and since I started treatment there have been no binges therefore no purging! So grateful for Vyvanse!

emploding
03-28-13, 01:09 AM
My ritalin does the catch-22 thing with my eating disorder. It sort of helps with the obsessive thoughts, but it also makes me not hungry. And If I'm not hungry I'm less likely to want to eat so I can get stuck in a cycle of restricting easily if I don't watch it and make a conscious effort to eat regularly, even when I'm not hungry.

jace2013
03-31-13, 01:15 AM
No. I was worried about taking adderall since it was an appetite suppressant but my doctor said it would be fine. I was 5'5/135 lbs when I started taking adderall in the middle of January. I wasn't overweight at all, but really fit. Now I'm 5'5/113. I've lost over 20 lbs in the past two months and I lose more every week. Adderall took away my appetite so im *never* hungry. Obviously I look terrible and I don't want to look like this, but I'm really bad at knowing when/how much to eat because people always say "just eat when you're hungry!" I'm never hungry anymore.
So yes, you're smart to be concerned. I wish I would have paid more attention to my fears before I started taking adderall.

someothertime
03-31-13, 07:12 AM
I lost about 15kg in three week when I started on Strattera. Apparently it's used to treat impulsive eating disorders as well. Just don't feel hungry/impulsive when you start it.

After a few months the appetite / regularity returns but some people get a bit nauseus at times.

Now i've just started Dex, I've had a few non-sleepy evenings where I binge.

GwenDee
04-06-13, 08:29 AM
My ritalin does the catch-22 thing with my eating disorder. It sort of helps with the obsessive thoughts, but it also makes me not hungry. And If I'm not hungry I'm less likely to want to eat so I can get stuck in a cycle of restricting easily if I don't watch it and make a conscious effort to eat regularly, even when I'm not hungry.

THIS! I have tried Concerta and Daytrana so far, and initially seemed to help curtail my obsessive thoughts about food. Well, that's what I thought. But what they were doing was making me tune to out more to my hunger cues. I was trying to set an alarm to tell myself to eat, but I never even got that far. I THOUGHT about doing it. I have issues with follow through. LOTS of ideas, and no implementation. Well, I would come home at night and binge like crazy after the medication wore off. I couldn't stop myself. Only thing good was I've forced myself to stop throwing up and other than that, it's been awful. I've gained so much weight back, but over where I should be and I feel bloated and awful.
I've been blaming myself and feeling like an idiot that I can't stop doing this but my therapist said that she could make anyone binge with the doses of these meds if they were not forcing themselves to eat during day. I know they have sort of said that to me before, but it takes a while for me to process things sometimes, and now I feel like I get it.
Besides last week I did tell my psychiatrist I was not doing well w/Daytrana and she has started me with Strattera instead.

rbtlSR
06-17-13, 10:43 PM
I had (have?) EDNOS. I was hospitalized for it a couple of years back. It was basically anorexia, but I didn't meet the "underweight" criteria because I went from obese to a "normal" weight in a short period of time, but wasn't yet underweight when they put me in treatment.
My diagnosis was a double-edged sword. On the one hand, my meds kill my appetite, which makes it a lot easier to not eat or forget to eat, and losing weight triggers me into wanting to lose more weight.
On the other hand, being diagnosed and on meds helped resolve a lot of the underlying causes of my ED - feeling that I lacked "self control," hating myself, needing control over my life, etc.

Overall I would say it helped, but do be careful of the appetite suppressant effects of meds. I still pass out easily from not eating, a leftover effect of my ED, and I under-ate when I first started my meds and ended up passing out and getting a concussion when my head hit the floor.

SquarePeg
06-18-13, 03:16 AM
I started concerta at 47 and has bulimia when I was 20. I had therapy and have had no problems with food since.

Concerta has cut my appetite and even though I think I am eating normally now I am still thinner. I tend to eat a lot when the meds wear off.

Hopefully meds can help with your disorder if its like an impulsive thing. If itīs emotional eating then stick with therapy. good luck