View Full Version : Does anyone here homeschool?

zette93
11-26-12, 10:58 AM
This semester at public school was a disaster. Huge behavior problems, and the school proposed to move DS7 into a special day class with kids with Downs Syndrome. So we are pulling him out to homeschool.

Is there anyone else here who homeschools? Do you have any tips for how you break up the lessons and provide lots of breaks and rewards? Are there any particularly good homeschooling forums I should check out?

LynneC
11-27-12, 03:52 PM
This semester at public school was a disaster. Huge behavior problems, and the school proposed to move DS7 into a special day class with kids with Downs Syndrome. So we are pulling him out to homeschool.

Is there anyone else here who homeschools? Do you have any tips for how you break up the lessons and provide lots of breaks and rewards? Are there any particularly good homeschooling forums I should check out?
Zette, you might send a pm to member ccom5100. I know she homeschooled her ds for a time...

ccom5100
11-27-12, 07:46 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Here are links to two recent threads on this board about homeschooling to help get you started.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134905&highlight=homeschool

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132355&highlight=homeschool
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

zette93
11-28-12, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the threads. I guess what I'm looking for is advice that is specific to homeschooling someone with ADHD. For instance, Russell Barkley tells teachers to cut assignments into very small chunks, like 5 problems at a time. I expect I'll be giving DS a lot of breaks to go jump on the trampoline or play on the swingset. Any other tips you've found useful?

mommytriz
11-29-12, 04:46 PM
The beauty of homeschooling is that those "breaks" don't have to be the breaks at all. They can become the teaching !!!!

Do trampoline math. 2 jumps to the right, plus 3 jumps to the left = how many jumps ? Have him divide the trampoline into 1/4. 1/2, or 1/3. How many jumps to caver the tramp if it's divided into 1/2. The trick with homeschooling an ADHD'er should be to find their learning style and modify your teaching to that, not mimic the system your leaving by just continuing with the same old things that left him unable to focus to begin with.
Movement is a great way to bring learning into focus for kids who need to move. Practice spelling with a stick out in the sand box instead of a sheet of paper. Experiments and hands on learning will go a long way for your son. A trip to your local museum, library, any historical landmarks in your community, plays etc. are all great tools in a homeschoolers arsenal. Facts and feeling about history and places sink in better if they are lived, not read about. The most important thing you can teach your little guy is to WANT to learn and explore and discover.
He'll do great if he can keep these natural talents instead of having learning his ABC's and 123's force fed to him so that learning becomes a negative experience to be avoided. You'd be amazed what a little planning and research combined with a trip to a local lake, forest or river can reveal. Lessons on life cycle of the forest, animals, pollution, function of the trees, photosynthesis etc. Let your son take charge of the lesson and then help him expand on his thoughts. At home afterwards you can make a journal of your adventure to practice writing skills. Start a scrapbook of all the places you go and see. Just make it interesting and fun.

samanthax
12-20-12, 12:02 AM
zette93,

I am new to this board. Literally (as in this evening). I am starting home school in January for 1 of my daughters. To give you a breif background and make a VERY long story as short as possible, and then let you know programs we are using for schooling:

I have had epilepsy since 10yrs. of age.
Major downside was that as a result some of my major issues when undiagnosed into adulthood beacause it was chalked up to seizures/seizure meds.
It wasnt until I saw issues that mirrored mine with with of my 8 year old twins (always had an hint of "what is the deal"? but really revealed issues in 2nd grade public school) I consulted my new neurologist with my own concerns and he sent me for a neuropsych. eval. Issues noted were ADD syptoms, and some other issues with visual processing, etc. - put on Adderall XR. HUGE difference!
Had my daughter tested by a pediatric neuropsych. - AD/HD, memory deficit, visual processing issues, etc.
The true "awakening" moment about school came in reading "Understanding Girls with AD/HD" by Dr. Quinn. When depression kicked in over-drive for my, now 9year old, daughter that was on a 504 plan that was doing absolutely nothing, and school still denied issues (she was well-behaved and fairly good grades, but behind the scenes was a nightmare at home!)
We decided to pray and consider an alternative. The same day I was on my knees asking for an answer the school called to let us know before-school educational NILD therapy was denied because it was against district policy, I felt the peace I never had before on homeschool.
THEN, the more I looked into all the choices/options for learning I was thrilled! No more fast pace flashcards and move on, we could teach to mastery and not to the test and rebuild self-esteem! So, for what it is worth here are the things I looked into to start the search:
1. Book to read: The Well Trained Mind
2. The math we are doing is a combination of: Math U See, Life with Fred, and some Math Mammoth worked in to make sure it's learned the way she can get it, but also can do another way once grasped
3. All About Spelling (teacher, neurologist, psych put this program together)
4. A Child's History of the World book (more sequencial so it makes more sense to her and she likes the form it's in....and I like content)
5. Ambleside reading list and others as well
6. Writing with Ease
7. Real Life Science
8. Grammar - First Language Lessons
Each child will have specific needs that they work programs differently, but being able to get in breaks to walk the dog and then start the next assignment, join in with other friends that homeschool to do outings, fieldtrips, etc., and teach to mastery to fully get concepts in subjects like math that are such building blocks on each skills.

I'm fairly new on this journey, but if I can give you any insight into what I have looked into thus far please feel free to ask and if I cant give my opinion maybe someone else on the forum can give you some feedback.
My sister is a wealth of information for me. She lives in another state, but homeschools her kids and they all have issues, so she has been great!
Samantha
PS - please excuse all the typos/grammar mistakes....late night last night (sinus....couldnt sleep) and I'm exhausted, but was just about to log off when I saw your post...

LynneC
12-20-12, 10:16 AM
:goodpost:

Samantha, welcome! Great information. I hope you keep us posted on your home schooling journey. :)

zette93
12-20-12, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the curriculum suggestions! Thought I'd post an update.

We started homeschooling about 3 weeks ago, and so far it's going great. I was surprised that DS7 doesn't seem to need as many breaks as I thought he would, or perhaps they're just easier to incorporate than I expected. We usually start with a math lesson (his favorite subject) then do 3 pages of the workbook. Next some phonics instruction followed by 3 workbook pages. He gets through all that and when he starts looking a little squirly I send him out on the trampoline. He's been really good about coming back in and getting back to work. Then we alternate between reading-centered tasks and writing-centered ones. He's interested in learning to play chess, so some of our breaks have been to play for 5-10 minutes. On some days when he really doesn't want to do school, we sit in front of the TV and use the remote to alternate between watching a show and pausing for 3-4 problems in the workbook. His public school teacher used Skittles a lot for rewards, and unfortunately he's requesting them a lot at home -- I sometimes let him have one skittle per math problem or sentence (about 5-6 on a page.)

I did come up with the coolest prize box. DS is very into making stop action movies with legos. So I went on the bricklink website (kind of an ebay for legos) and bought about 50 pieces of random lego items (skateboards, santa hat, wrench, dynamite, etc.) for about $0.50 each. I put them in a treasure chest, and if he finishes all his work for the day he gets to pick a prize.

The biggest problem is that I only have 3 hours of preschool 3 mornings a week for his younger sisters. (I had a babysitter take them to the park the other 2 mornings but she had to quit due to car problems.) I really need about 4 hours 5 days a week, hopefully I can get that arranged soon.

DH has remarked on how DS is much less stressed. Their relationship has improved tremendously because DH isn't getting onto DS every evening for behaving badly at school.

I haven't figured out where and when the other homeschoolers meet for park days -- that's next on my to do list.

Vet Hopeful
12-23-12, 12:19 AM
I don't homeschool (no kids), but was homeschooled.

I really like Math-U-See. It is low stress and very hands on.
Some portions of Alpha Omega Switched On Schoolhouse may work in later grades (if you are ok with a religious based curriculum). Easy on ou gecause it grades itself and it immediately tels the student if the answer is right giving praise.

Abeka (while a great academic program) is fast paced, tons of work, overwhelming, etc.

Crystal

Thales
01-31-13, 06:44 PM
Dear zette93, it sounds as if your whole family is enjoying the benefits of homeschooling. It is great that something that started as a makeshift is working out so well for you. I hope you can find a solution of the younger sisters, and keep up the good work. Please keep us informed. :)

zette93
02-01-13, 04:30 PM
A few weeks after we started homeschooling, I learned that there was a tiny school specifically for kids with Aspergers, and that they had an opening. After touring it, we decided to have DS go part time on a trial basis. So far it looks like it's just the right place for him. Homeschooling was a good option, but this setting provides more of what he needs (academically, socially, and behaviorally) right now.

manismom
02-05-13, 07:46 PM
To zette93 and others,

I don't homeschool right now, but have been looking into it for my daughter if we can't get into the school we chose.

Where we are, in Tennessee, we have the option for free online public school. All books and related materials ( workbooks, manipulatives, etc.) are provided free of charge and the curriculum is set up by a company called K12. According to their website, they provide an individualized curriculum for each student, teachers that the kids can access a few different ways if the parent runs into trouble, as well as keeping attendance and grades.

It looked like it would be easier to use for someone like me with serious organization issues. The kids still work at their own pace and parents are the main teachers for elementary and middle school, but it does offer some outside structure, like a complete curriculum, books, and materials. And it's FREE.

Did I mention its FREE?