View Full Version : I'm not saying I'm perfect, but I do need help.

Kendo17
11-29-12, 01:43 AM
Personality disorders are... interesting to say the least. But I'm not at all opposed to having ADHD, which was diagnosed upon me at the age of 3 (or 5) although my family contests earlier than 5 at about 3 years of age. I have an explosive type of ADHD. For instance, my nose would bleed and such out of anger at an early age. And I recently got reevaluated this year by a licensed psychologist.

However, this information is needed to ask the question I'm about to ask. Which is, could I have a personality disorder? My doctor, teachers and friends think of me as smart. But I don't care about that because to me it's useless. No one gets anywhere being told they're smart. My doctor (who is an esteemed expert in ADHD and works primarily with kids with ADHD as her field of expertise) somehow got the crazy idea that I was insane.

So, I went to the psychologist because I needed my ADHD medication. For some reason the idiotic insurance company thought they were the doctors on that particular day. Well, he made me take the MMPI-II, but I passed with flying colors.

Well, skip ahead a few sessions with my doctor (and I was positively diagnosed with ADHD btw) and I tried to squeeze out some information from her about the whole, y'know, "me being INSANE thing" >_>

At the end of it all, she just thought I was smart enough to manipulate the test. Well.. I mean, yeah, I did sorta... But I didn't fully.

It just angers me because my mind would be hampered if I had a Personality Disorder. I know I don't have one though. However, I'd like to hear other people's opinions which is why I'm asking.

Phoenix Ash
11-29-12, 01:41 PM
There's no way for any of us to know that. We can't even take a guess because we know so little about you.

All I can say is that intelligence has nothing to do with personality disorders.

TygerSan
11-29-12, 02:32 PM
At the end of it all, she just thought I was smart enough to manipulate the test. Well.. I mean, yeah, I did sorta... But I didn't fully.

My understanding with the MMPI is that it has subscales that are intended to catch people who are deliberately trying to manipulate the test. . . maybe you scored higher than average on some of those?

Whatever the reason, you are entitled to a second opinion, if you think your psychiatrist isn't responding with your best interest in mind. I know that switching is easier said than done in most cases, but it's worth putting it out there.

ginniebean
11-29-12, 02:35 PM
second opinion

Kendo17
12-02-12, 12:12 AM
Well, thanks so far guys. I wasn't implying intelligence had anything to do with a personality disorder, though. Sometimes, I think my doctor may think I have one. I talked with her about the results I got, but it was difficult trying to get information out of her.

TygerSan
12-02-12, 02:35 PM
Well, thanks so far guys. I wasn't implying intelligence had anything to do with a personality disorder, though. Sometimes, I think my doctor may think I have one. I talked with her about the results I got, but it was difficult trying to get information out of her.
Just a clarification: what I was talking about has very little to do with intelligence.

There are some people who tend to answer "yes" to questions, no matter what the question is: that's called an acquiescence bias. The MMPI controls for that.

There are some people who try to appear as desireable as possible, try to paint themselves in as positive a light as possible. . . not necessarily a problem on the face of it, but there are degrees of this. . . there's a scale in the MMPI geared towards looking for these types of answers. . . has nothing to do with intelligence, has everything to do with how you present yourself to others. . .

There are others who either deliberately or unconsciously skew the test (i.e. they come out with every disorder in the book) . . .

If you scored higher than average on any of those scales, that might have led the psychiatrist to respond the way she did to you. Regardless of *why*, I'd still get a second opinion.