View Full Version : How to Cut Up a Whole Chicken

Unmanagable
11-29-12, 01:44 AM
It's usually cheaper to buy the whole bird and cut it up.

Unless you don't do well with sharp objects. In that case, a pack of boneless thighs would be cheaper than a trip to the ER. :p lol

http://learningandyearning.com/how-to-cut-up-a-whole-chicken#more-2812

sarek
11-29-12, 02:42 AM
That is a clever trick! Thank you.

I often have a somewhat related problem when I have to divide a whole fried chicken in two parts straight down the middle. With only a long sharp knife that is hard work, so maybe there's a method for that as well that does not involve using a chainsaw?

SquarePeg
11-29-12, 03:21 AM
No no people be careful with share implements!! Buying a whole chicken is cheaper my butcher will cut up a whole chicken for no extra cost, but a big supermarket won´t

I have a pair of special scissors that cut straight through bone and you can cut up a chicken perfectly. They can be used on raw or cooked chicken.
http://www.chefscatalog.com/img/products/285x285/93180_285.jpg

crystal8080
11-29-12, 03:31 AM
My husband does stuff like this. I think there is a certain sweet spot you are supposed to cut. He gets it in one hard direct motion with a big *** butcher knife. I'm sure I've seen him do it with raw whole chicken, most definitely seen him do it do cooked ones. He makes it look too easy.

If not cutting up whole chickens we at least buy big packages of meat and split them up into smaller bags before freezing them.

stef
11-29-12, 07:16 AM
The two solutions in our household :
1) buy frozen, pre-cooked white meat at frozen food store
2) give platter with roast chicken and knife to mother-in-law

sarek
11-29-12, 07:36 AM
2) give platter with roast chicken and knife to mother-in-law

So perhaps the stories about mothers in law are true after all:)

stef
11-29-12, 07:48 AM
no, LOL she's just really good at cutting stuff up!

we never have a whole chicken unless we have company, the 3 of us only like white meat.

SquarePeg
11-29-12, 11:39 AM
no, LOL she's just really good at cutting stuff up!

we never have a whole chicken unless we have company, the 3 of us only like white meat.

same here, me and the kids only eat white meat. I keep saying that I will get the rest of the meat off and make a chicken and ham pie but I have never done this yet.