View Full Version : Make Your Own Deodorant, and Learn Why It's a Good Idea.........

Unmanagable
11-29-12, 02:36 AM
Link to the make your own deodorant recipe:
http://www.overatjulies.com/2012/08/diy-homemade-deodorantantiperspirant.html

All you need is coconut oil, cornstarch or arrowroot, baking soda, and a drop or two of your favorite essential oil, if you'd like.

I've been using it a short while and thus far, very pleased. No one has complained that I have funkitis fuming from my pits, so I'd say it works just fine. :lol:

(Copied the below info from Faithless Daughter fb page - It accompanied the recipe and explains in much more detail about the harmful ingredients in stuff we use daily - I highlighted some stuff for emphasis)

Parabens are a chemical compound found in everyday toiletry products including moisturizers, make-up, shaving foam, tanning lotions and toothpaste. Parabens arewidely used as antimicrobial preservatives in food, pharmaceutical and cosmetics products, including underarm deodorants. Parabens are absorbed through the skin and from the gastrointestinal tract and blood.

A study of 160 women with breast cancer revealed that parabens were present in the tumors of all the women. “In total, 160 samples were collected, four from each woman. They found 99 per cent of the tissue samples contained at least one paraben and 60 per cent of the samples had five.”

Aside from Parabens, many popular brands of household cleaning products and personal toiletries contain a raft of toxic chemicals. Heavy metals are only one type of toxin found in most cosmetics. If you use conventional makeup on a daily basis, you can absorb almost 5 pounds of chemicals into your body each year — and that’s without adding in body lotion, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner and other personal care products!

One of the primary ingredients hidden in fragrances — phthalates — is among the more common poisons you’re exposed to every day. In experiments on rats, phthalates have demonstrably blocked the action of fetal androgens, which affects gender development in male offspring, with results including undescended testes at birth, low sperm counts, and testicular tumors later in life.

The detergent you’re using may contain a cocktail of potent cancer-causing chemicals, some of which the manufacturer doesn’t even have to list on the label. The worst offenders are; Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)/sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), 1,4-dioxane (a known carcinogen), NPE (nonylphenol ethoxylate) , and Phosphates. Not only are these chemicals damaging to your health, but they are also contaminating waterways and harming the environment.

Aluminium- Most antiperspirant contains aluminum, and that aluminum may be absorbed into women’s breast tissue where it could potentially increase the risk of breast cancer or other health problems. Women with breast cancer have higher levels of aluminum in their nipple aspirate fluid (NAF), a fluid present in the breast duct tree. Studies show aluminum from antiperspirants is deposited in breast tissue, and animal studies have also found that aluminum can cause cancer. Studies also classify Aluminum as a neurotoxin associated with Alzheimer’s disease.

Aluminium is also used to make cookware and is used as a “free flow” coating to prevent products like table salt and baking soda from “clumping” and sticking together.

Many vaccines contain aluminum. Like other adjuvants, aluminum is added to the vaccine in order to boost your immune response to the antigen. When you or your child is injected with an aluminum containing vaccine, the aluminum compounds it contains accumulate not only at the site of injection but can travel to your brain and accumulate there.

In your brain, aluminum can enter neurons and glial cells (astrocytes and microglia). Studies have shown that aluminum can activate microglia and do so for long periods, which means that the aluminum in your vaccination may be priming your microglia to overreact.

Aluminum is not only toxic in and of itself, but it also impairs your body’s ability to excrete mercury, and it impairs glutathione synthesis. As a consequence, aluminum will make whatever amount of mercury you have in your system — from eating seafood, dental fillings, vaccines, etc. — even more toxic.

Aluminum is widely recognized as a neurotoxin, which has been found in increased concentrations in the brains of people with Alzheimer’s disease.

Unfortunately, if you use antiperspirants or some deodorants, you are most likely exposing yourself to aluminum. Aluminum salts can account for 25 percent of the volume of some antiperspirants.

Both Aluminum and Parabens are not something you want on or in your body.. So, here is an alternative. If you want to keep buying something from the store, I recommend getting something called Crystal Deodorant.

It's made with Natural Mineral Salts. No Aluminum Chlorohydrate and no parabens. Plus, it's Hypoallergenic and Fragrance free. Or, you could just use one of these recipes and make your own like I do.

tudorose
11-29-12, 05:23 AM
DD made a coconut oil deodorant. Problem was she put cocoa in it so all her clothes turned brown.

Unmanagable
11-29-12, 08:33 AM
DD made a coconut oil deodorant. Problem was she put cocoa in it so all her clothes turned brown.

LOL......oops.

I read that you can use a combo of corn starch and cocoa powder instead of the usual powder make-up. Just add cocoa to the desired tint. Haven't tried that one yet.

mrs. dobbs
12-02-12, 05:12 AM
Mmm cocoa powder face.

I'm so funky right now because I can't afford the natural deodorants, and I've bought so many in the past but they don't work for me. Except for Lavilin. But that stuff if expensive and they don't sell it in this country. Maybe I should just drink more water. Hm. Maybe an antiperspirant is what I'm looking for.

Can I use potato starch for this deodorant instead of corn? Is that gonna be gross?

Trying to get all the aluminum out of my life. I've got some gross aluminum cookware and my brain is already messed. Pyrex is the bizness! Gotta get some.

mrs. dobbs
12-16-12, 03:38 AM
I read that arrowroot is a good substitute for cornstarch. Also, crystal deodorants have potassium alum. Which is a form of aluminum. They say it's too big to pass into the body but I've read otherwise.

Unmanagable
12-16-12, 06:22 AM
I haven't tried the crystal deodorant, but have a couple friends who swear by it.

I think the difference between corn starch and arrowroot is the consistency. And the price. Arrowroot is reportedly much more expensive. I've never tried it.

I've also read of folks using the corn starch and baking soda mixture as a dusting powder.

I get a lot of DIY household cleaners/personal hygiene ideas and recipes from this site.......this particular link goes to her comical conclusion of her personal experience w/ homemade deodorant:
http://www.crunchybetty.com/all-roads-lead-to-the-pits-the-homemade-deodorant-conclusion

Hope you can find something that jives with your pits. lol :)

EvilynTent
12-16-12, 10:50 AM
I just made a batch, lets see how it goes. Most of the bath/beauty products I use come from an all natural company but I've never been fond of their deodorant.... On a side note I found all the ingredients on hand and I found 3 tins of baking powder...two opened....all good until 2010 O.o

Lunacie
12-16-12, 11:09 AM
I haven't tried the crystal deodorant, but have a couple friends who swear by it.

I think the difference between corn starch and arrowroot is the consistency. And the price. Arrowroot is reportedly much more expensive. I've never tried it.

I've also read of folks using the corn starch and baking soda mixture as a dusting powder.

I get a lot of DIY household cleaners/personal hygiene ideas and recipes from this site.......this particular link goes to her comical conclusion of her personal experience w/ homemade deodorant:
http://www.crunchybetty.com/all-roads-lead-to-the-pits-the-homemade-deodorant-conclusion

Hope you can find something that jives with your pits. lol :)

I use crystal deodorant. I'm allergic to coconut so could not use the
recipe posted above. I try to go natural as much as I can, especially
with products that contain scents and with cleaning products.

When you make it yourself, you know exactly what's in it, eh? :)

Unmanagable
12-16-12, 11:59 AM
Yes, Lunacie!!

It was sort of weird at first trying to get used to it.....my toothpaste, lotion, sugar scrub, etc. all having the same scent......especially when I do the peppermint oils.

It sure is a good feeling to be able to stop supporting the blatant toxicity every chance we get.