View Full Version : I Hate Colognes & Perfumes

mrs. dobbs
12-04-12, 06:33 AM
I bought a used machine from someone and it smells like tobacco smoke and strong perfume. Not something nice like sandalwood, cedar or tuberose or frangipani oils.

But petrochemical animal gland formaldehyde illuminati mind control weirdness like Norell or Chanel or if a department store had a toxic waste bin. I got a terrible headache and cranky and dizzy and had to open the window even tho it's -9C outside. The icy air was welcome.

I've got a major smell issue. I'm hypersensitive to smells. My mom used to use this junk called Chloe and wear this hand cream from Lancome or some crap. I was so sick as a kid as a result. I'd be like "mom, please, that perfume makes me so sick" and would be sneezing constantly. Not just like *achoo* but like *achoo gasp achoo gasp achoo gasp achooachooachooachooachooachoo pee groan* /repeat.

tudorose
12-04-12, 06:45 AM
DH gets migraines from these things but the worst thing is cigarette smoke. People are always carrying on about smokers rights with no regard to the people that suffer severe pain that is a direct result of their smoking. The sooner they ban it in public places the better. It really reduces the quality of DH's life. And I know he's not the only one.

mrs. dobbs
12-04-12, 06:55 AM
Cigarettes make me ill also, and I can't stand them. I walk as far around cigarette smokers as I can and I dare them to light up around my baby. But then again, I live in Europe, even if Northern Europe. Europe is like... smokers central.

tudorose
12-04-12, 07:10 AM
Cigarettes make me ill also, and I can't stand them. I walk as far around cigarette smokers as I can and I dare them to light up around my baby. But then again, I live in Europe, even if Northern Europe. Europe is like... smokers central.

You poor thing! I've heard about how bad it is over there. I just hate the fact that *some* people are just so inconsiderate about it. They smoke at the entrance to buildings under the no smoking sign so smoke blows into the buildings where people are working. Or right next to where someone is eating or feeding a baby. Just make me want to punch them.

Fuzzy12
12-04-12, 07:20 AM
I love perfumes but only the lighter, fruity ones. I prefer Eau de Toilettes usually. The heavy ones give me a headache. I always have to hold my breath when entering a department store till I get out of the perfume section. :rolleyes:

Sigh, I smoke but I try to be considerate. I stand as far from the general public (or non-smoking acquaintances) as possible. I never smoke near entrances and never, ever near children, let alone babies. And I never litter my cigarette butts.

In the UK, smoking is banned indoors (pubs & restaurants) but I don't think it should be banned in all outdoor public places. I wouldn't mind if they banned it in places like theme parks, playgrounds, bus stops or generally slightly enclosed spaces where the smoke might bother some but not everywhere. In open spaces, the fresh air should be enough to disperse the smoke and it's definitely not as bad as traffic fumes.

I know in the rest of Europe, smoking is quite common but in the UK, you are treated a bit like a pariah if you smoke. Everyone thinks they've got a right to walk up to you and lecture you on the ill effects of smoking (even if the smoke doesn't bother them) or they just give really nasty glares (from distance :doh:)

Ok, rant over. :)

sarek
12-04-12, 07:44 AM
I seriously dislike perfumes of any kind. Somehow it smells rather offensive and unnatural to me, although I dont actually get headaches or allergies from it.

I am a bit weird about smoking. I have never done it and I basically hate it with a vengeance and when I as much as see someone smoking on tv I already start coughing in sympathy.
But conversely, my best meatspace friend is a chain smoker and I have very little trouble with that.

Smoking is essentially prohibited in all enclosed public spaces, mainly to protect employees. This ban also extends to pubs and restaurants.

tudorose
12-04-12, 07:50 AM
Everyone thinks they've got a right to walk up to you and lecture you on the ill effects of smoking (even if the smoke doesn't bother them) or they just give really nasty glares (from distance :doh:)

Yes I give a lot of really nasty glares from the distance. It hate cigarettes with a passion.

And how do you know if the smoke doesn't bother them? You don't know what sensory issues someone has and smoke is assault to the senses for some people.

stef
12-04-12, 08:05 AM
I try to be as considerate as possible!
you can no longer smoke here (france) in restaurants and cafés, except on the terrace which can really be a problem in summer because they just open the whole thing up on a nice day so people sitting inside at the front get all of the smoke anyway.

I like perfumes less and less, I can't stand them on myself anymore except some types of light, fresh after shower type spray. it's too bad because there is one I loved, Cerruti or something, I asked for this as a gift and it actually makes me a bit ill, on me. I don't like going into sephora type stores, I only go if I absolutely need something (clinique foundation).

Fuzzy12
12-04-12, 08:53 AM
Yes I give a lot of really nasty glares from the distance. It hate cigarettes with a passion.

And how do you know if the smoke doesn't bother them? You don't know what sensory issues someone has and smoke is assault to the senses for some people.

I know because they could be standing a few 100m away from me but specifically walk up to me to give me a lecture (and then walk away again...). :(

EDIT:

Oops, sorry, I just realised that this is posted in sensory issues section. I probably shouldn't be posting here. I thought it was in general ADD.

Lunacie
12-04-12, 10:34 AM
I'm very sensitive to perfume, aftershave, scented body splash,
clothing that carries a scent from dryer sheets or fabric softener -
anything scented.

It's a nightmare for me to go into clinics and offices as nearly all
of them have a scented candle or plug in air "freshener" going.
They don't "freshen" anything, they just add another layer of smell.

I didn't know what was causing these problems for many years, until
I met a woman online who has Chemical Injury Illness. Then I put 2
and 2 together and realized what was happening.

Once a week I'd go to the bigger town to do shopping and errands,
stop at Alco on my way home to use the bathroom, and 20 minutes
later when I got home I was a raving emotional maniacal basket case.

The bathroom at Alco had one of those automatic air "fresheners"
that releases a spritz every time the door opens. And every time
I was exposed to that crap I got more and more sensitive.

Eventually it got to the place where it was making me so weak I could
barely walk, tears pouring from my eyes even though I wasn't sad or
unhappy, followed by the migraine.

Now that I know it's the chemicals that are making me so sick, I keep
a cloth face mask in my pocket and put it on whenever I catch a whiff
of scented stuff or know I'll be going into a place that "stinks."

If I see someone who clearly works in the place I'm shopping who has
stepped outside for a cigarette but is standing next to the doorway so
I have to walk through the cloud of smoke to get inside -
yeah, I give them a dirty look as I'm putting on my face mask.

I've actually had them step over to open the door for me while releasing
a mouthful of smoke in my face! :umm1:
Oh thank you so very much for holding the door!!! :mad:

Sorry for such a long post.

mrs. dobbs
12-04-12, 12:11 PM
EDIT:

Oops, sorry, I just realised that this is posted in sensory issues section. I probably shouldn't be posting here. I thought it was in general ADD.

s'ok fuzzy :)

and i know you see what i mean about the General forum and special issues.

...same thing happens with self-esteem related posts where people on both sides (confident or not confident) go back & forth about it. with a self-esteem forum we can focus constructively and intently on finely defined self-esteem issues. :D

and i'm sure you're one of those considerate smokers i so appreciate.

Arei
01-08-13, 12:48 AM
I'm kind of the opposite here. I LOVE the smell of *most* perfumes and colognes. Axe is not included, that will actually start to close my throat up something horrible (it's just too noxious). I love things that smell wonderful. I love candles and certain air-fresheners (really enjoying scentsy right now). I love for the house to smell nice and fresh with a hint of something pleasant.

All because I cannot stand bad odors so much. My mom about the time I started high school started to get really trashy. She doesn't throw out her garbage very often and leaves food to rot everywhere. The smell is horrible, it makes me want to scream and cry (so I've come to live with my grandpa, after getting laid off from my last job I couldn't go back to being in that house constantly). Bad smells like that just reach somewhere deep into the bottom of my soul and make me absolutely crazy.

I think it's akin to the people who have issues with the chemical-like smells (that aren't allergic, allergic reactions are quite different) I don't like chemical smells, but they don't make me run for the hills like rotting food and trash.

Body odor is a major thing as well. I cannot stand the smell of BO. I'm very heat sensitive and get hot very quickly, so I always keep myself as clean as possible and use a good smelling body wash and shampoo (I'm REALLY anal about the smell of dirty hair, I can't stand it at all) and a spritz of good body spray or perfume that way that's all I smell (and deodorant of course @_@).

What really bugs me is that people are getting really up in arms about the scent thing. I agree, many people are sensitive or allergic to chemical scents/strong scents and that they shouldn't be subjected to the sensory overload. NO ONE needs to bathe in axe or perfume or cologne. One spray will do most people JUST fine.

I always get complimented for smelling really good, which has helped me out a lot, seeing as I somehow always think that I am smelling myself and I stink so bad and that people are affirming with me that they don't smell it, just my perfume or spray. I have friends and family who are very sensitive and they don't complain about me smelling good.

What ****** me off is at my last job, someone got a whiff of me and had someone tell me that I shouldn't wear a scent at all. They did mention in our code of conduct not to bathe in perfume or cologne (and especially not spray it in the restrooms but people did it anyway) and be considerate of those who are sensitive. But they started to tell me that you shouldn't be scented at all.

I constantly have to smell people who don't beleive in using deodorant, who natural deodorant does nothing for. Go into any public place and you will find multiple people who stink to high heavens. If I have to be subjected to THAT, which I'm sensitive to, which is a sensory overload of the highest caliber TO ME, then I will wear a spray of perfume, forget you.

And as for cigarette smoke, I have RAD (reactive airway disease) and as the years have progressed I've gotten to where it closes up my throat really bad and I just prefer to not be around it. My mom smoked when I was little, but stopped in the middle of my elementary school years (it didn't bother me back then). My grandpa still smokes as well, it's not the smell at all, the smoke just makes my throat want to close up and die.

Not saying its a pleasant smell, but if I didn't have the throat closing side-effect (which is awful when my grandpa smokes in my car DX) I'd rather be subjected to cigarette smoke then someone who didn't bathe or wear deodorant. Or rotten food. I just cannot handle bad smells.

I also have to compulsively smell EVERYTHING. Food of course, as well as my hands constantly (I mostly wash my hands for them to smell good, or after I touch something gross/before eating. But smelling good is the main priority XD), clothes, sheets, books, plastic, paper, ANYTHING I must smell it. My nose is extremely sensitive to everything. Just gotta take it all in P: