View Full Version : Auditory defensiveness when adderall wears off

Akabird
12-05-12, 09:52 PM
Anyone have this? Not great, and it lasts quite a long time, worse on ir than xt, and this is at a low dose. I end up snapping at the kids because their chaos sounds like ... Well feels physically painful to hear for a while.

Ririe44
12-13-12, 05:06 AM
I used to have this all the time as a child. I never took adderall but took ridellen for a while but had an allergic reaction so they took me off of it. As for my experiences it would almost always happen in the middle of the night. It was terrifying. I would wake up and the sound of myself breathing would sound like thunder. It has been decreasing with age and I have learned to control it when it happens. I always thought it was because of my bad experiences with riddelen.

gemini-dreamer
12-13-12, 12:58 PM
Anyone have this? Not great, and it lasts quite a long time, worse on ir than xt, and this is at a low dose. I end up snapping at the kids because their chaos sounds like ... Well feels physically painful to hear for a while.

I have this all of the time, so I know how you feel. I use earplugs or kleenex in my ears quite a lot!

EvilynTent
12-13-12, 01:18 PM
yes, not only to sounds but repetitive motions also....My DH has been growing his beard and he has this odd habit of stroking it. I don't know why but the repetitive motion of this action makes me want to be violent...It shouldn't bother me at all right...but it drives me nuts. :scratch:

Coopers4Him
12-22-12, 08:00 PM
This is what's been bothering me too!! I stumbled upon this forum while searching for a answer to my hearing problems, or whatever it maybe called, but its mainly loud and/ or high-pitched noises. Unfortunately the most common causes of these noises are my 4 sweet blessings, ages 8-13 and the occasional grandchild or neighborhood friend. I've gotten to wear I'm habitually sending them away from me before I realize WHY and I just HATE thAt I'm constantly complaining or WORSE, I end up yelling or lashing out because of the PAIN it causes me. I have chronic pain anyway and high-pitch sounds just sound like nails on a chalkboard and cause my neck to be gripped in nerve-wrenching pain, for lack of a better description.
This is my first post on the forums, but when I saw your post,I just HAD to reply because I can relate to you and I'm so thankful you posted because I've been feeling like the WORST mom in the world! AND for someone that has 7 children and 2 grand babies, that's pretty bad, don't you think? :(
Actually, I never considered it might be withdrawals, but was thinking it might be otoxicity from a medication. I've also been reading tonight about hyperacusis, but YOU are the first I've seen post about kid noises!! Thank you!

dresser
01-22-13, 02:00 PM
for me I find the trying to hear is the sand paper and the inner demand to self to hear it perfect. reading lips is a required iteml to my hearing sooo!!! hand over mouth, talkin away from me facing -down to the floor the opposite wall,dosnt bother me attall-atall-atall much lololol on the hearring part= chain saws nd machinery shhhh and my harley with straight pipes. writting this let me ask the question why am I tryin to hear,I still keep sayin "what did you say ???) nd tha annoys the people solution=ignore what their saying nd they will repeat or raise there voice allll by them selves thanks for this it bloody brilleant

sarahsweets
01-22-13, 02:39 PM
SENSORY OVERLOAD, it kills me in Penn station NYC

Electra2
01-22-13, 02:45 PM
If I hear sharp noise like ex. a schoolbell I usually feel pain in my stomack like as if someone punched me.
Somedays I feel I'm sesitive to a lot of ipressions,I hate the term but they used to call it "nervewreck" in my country,specially if I have not slept for ages and Im hungry or stressed out.

winks1410
05-22-13, 07:39 PM
This is what's been bothering me too!! I stumbled upon this forum while searching for a answer to my hearing problems, or whatever it maybe called, but its mainly loud and/ or high-pitched noises. Unfortunately the most common causes of these noises are my 4 sweet blessings, ages 8-13 and the occasional grandchild or neighborhood friend. I've gotten to wear I'm habitually sending them away from me before I realize WHY and I just HATE thAt I'm constantly complaining or WORSE, I end up yelling or lashing out because of the PAIN it causes me. I have chronic pain anyway and high-pitch sounds just sound like nails on a chalkboard and cause my neck to be gripped in nerve-wrenching pain, for lack of a better description.
This is my first post on the forums, but when I saw your post,I just HAD to reply because I can relate to you and I'm so thankful you posted because I've been feeling like the WORST mom in the world! AND for someone that has 7 children and 2 grand babies, that's pretty bad, don't you think? :(
Actually, I never considered it might be withdrawals, but was thinking it might be otoxicity from a medication. I've also been reading tonight about hyperacusis, but YOU are the first I've seen post about kid noises!! Thank you!

Me too! I take adderall and am VERY sensitive to high-pitched noises. Just a quick question. Is the spot that hurts your upper neck, below your ear and around the same height as your chin? That's where it hurts for me.