View Full Version : ADHD and gifted and Aspergers comparison

juliette
01-09-05, 04:56 PM
I'm just curious on any connection with Aspergers, ADHD, and giftedness in children. When I say "gifted" i mean by the school testing standards or some other standardized tests that say your child is gifted. I know all children have some area in giftedness.

1- ADHD, Aspergers, and gifted
2-ADHD, gifted
3-Aspergers and gifted
4-ADHD and Aspergers
5- ADHD
6- Aspergers
7 - gifted

exeter
01-10-05, 02:06 AM
I don't have a child, so I voted based on myself: ADHD and gifted.

Gregster
01-11-05, 03:50 PM
Same here - no kids, but both my younger brother and myself were tested in school, and both of us were "gifted". I was put into a gifted program at school, but my brother was not because he did not want to go (I didn't have that great a time). Both of us were diagnosed as ADHD as adults.
There is a strong link between ADHD and "giftedness".

Daddio
02-21-05, 12:17 AM
I was in a gifted program as a kid. I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult, but looking back I can see it in my childhood. (And sometimes I feel a little Aspergery).

witsend
03-18-05, 12:19 AM
My son just took his GATE (gifted & talented education) test... I asked him how it was.. he said " It was soooo easy!!" This from a kid who "forgets" how to do his homework.

juliette
03-18-05, 12:40 PM
Mine too. He took the Cogat and ITBS and Gates tests a couple of months ago. His teacher said he topped it out at 150! We've got some smarties on our hands!

witsend
03-19-05, 10:36 PM
Congrats!! We don't get his results back until May (I think?) He was really anxious about taking it but once I told him that I already knew he was smart & didn't relly care if he passed it or not he relaxed, I think that helped make it "....SOOO easy!!"

witsend
03-21-05, 02:34 AM
what does COGAT & ITBS stand for?

juliette
03-22-05, 10:01 AM
Cogat stands for Cognitive Abilities Test. and ITBS stands for Iowa Test of Basic Skills.

witsend
03-22-05, 12:29 PM
OK. Now I know.

QueensU_girl
07-03-05, 11:03 PM
Aspergers is a PDD (Pervasive Development Disorder).

Consequestnly, i must say that all the persons I have encountered with AS have not been the brightest bulbs, except for some few "islands of intelligence".

Left to their own devices, AS folks tend to get into big trouble, from what i've seen/heard/experiences. (About 9 cases.)

qinkin
07-15-05, 11:27 PM

Consequestnly, i must say that all the persons I have encountered with AS have not been the brightest bulbs, except for some few "islands of intelligence".

Left to their own devices, AS folks tend to get into big trouble, from what i've seen/heard/experiences. (About 9 cases.)like what? LOL

chain
07-16-05, 02:07 PM

Left to their own devices, AS folks tend to get into big trouble, from what i've seen/heard/experiences. (About 9 cases.)
Well... this is not always true. There are a very large number of undx'd asperger's.

As far a the light bulb goes... their bulb is bright but it has a thick shade around it.

ADHD is VERY close to Asperger's in some ways..... think about it... many people see us as dim bulbs because we lose our keys...it is a matter of perspective.

ADHD and Asperger's are both forms of extra-culturals.

I am most likely both ADHD and Asperger's...Usually the ADD predominates so I just seem ADD... but I do have trouble reading faces.

oh well... ADHD is a powerhouse brain... lucky to have it.

Imnapl
07-16-05, 07:53 PM
like what? LOL
Like the real life character that the movie Rainman is based on.

qinkin
07-17-05, 02:33 PM
tell me, about this real life man, then if he is so dumb and troubling

mctavish23
07-17-05, 02:44 PM
PDD NOS is a separate diagnosis from Asperger's.

Emma S
07-17-05, 08:50 PM
Like the real life character that the movie Rainman is based on.
Rainman was based on an autistic savant-most people with autism spectrum disorders are not like what Rainman portrayed as savantism is rare.

Crazygirl79
07-17-05, 09:06 PM
I'm ADHD/TS and possibly Bipolar.

AS/ADHD/TS and giftedness are very closely related and I was once told by someone...(I can't remember who now) that EVERYONE has traits of ADHD, Aspergers and Tourettes and it's not a worry...it only becomes a worry when you have trouble fitting into "normal" society!!

Imnapl
07-17-05, 11:12 PM
tell me, about this real life man, then if he is so dumb and troubling
Rain Man, The Movie / Rain Man, Real Life

http://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/savant/rainman.cfm

ADDCadet01
03-19-06, 05:40 PM
Rainman was based on an autistic savant-most people with autism spectrum disorders are not like what Rainman portrayed as savantism is rare.The person is was based on, Kim Peek, was not autistic.
He was simply a savant.

And yes, it is extremely rare. There are only 50 "Prodigous Savants" such as Kim Peek in the world.

melanie_me
07-14-06, 05:54 PM

My husband has Asperger's. He quite possible has a genius IQ. Austistic Spectrum Disorders are all on a continumm of severity and my husband is extrememly high-functioning.

speedo
07-14-06, 06:50 PM
Emma;

According to Hans Asperger the vast majority of people with AS are undiagnosed. Largely because they function well enough to live a "normal" life. It is the dillemia of "no impairment == no disorder". If being a little odd and exccentric because one is a little autistic in nature is not considered disordered, then there won't be a diagnosis given...

As far as intelligence goes, by definition, aspies have a minimum of a normal IQ. In fact I have read that 75% (don't quote me on that number) of aspies are above normal IQ (perhaps because a high IQ in the face of disorder gets a doctors attention??).

Yes, indeed, I do think that an aspie can get into deep trouble rather easily... mostly because of communicatins problems with the outside world. I think the very high functioning aspies manage to avoid this.

ME :D

momof_adhd/aspi
07-30-06, 02:56 PM
I think I skewed your poll...

I have one Aspiergers only son high IQ

and one ADHD only son also high IQ...

can I have a re-do?

AnneM
08-02-06, 10:07 PM
I have a 9 y.o. daughter who is in the gifted program at school - no ADD.

I also have a son who is 5 and great at math (for his age --he adds/subtracts). I hope when he enters kindergarten this year he does well. I worry he may have ADD (inattentive). The whole family notices his dreaminess and sometimes you have to yell out his name several times before you are able to break his concentration.
I'm rooting for my little guy cause I know he is creative and smart (and alot of fun) -- but a little out there >> like Mommy.

speedo
08-02-06, 11:11 PM
AnneM;

Your son sounds a bit like me when I was a kid. The big difference was that I was gifted verbally. My math abilities are average. I was pretty "out there" and still am, and I owe a great debt of gratitude to two VERY patient and understanding parents, (both now deceased). You are a super mom, keep it up! :)

Me :D

AnneM
08-03-06, 08:14 AM
Speedo - Thanks soo much for your reply. The "super mom" part made me feel really good...wonderful for you that you had 2 patient parents! I'm going on the theory that loving your kids and trying to just let them know your human can go a long way towards everyone's "success".

I don't tell anyone (except here) what I think may be going on w/my son. My fam doesn't really get the whole ADD thing & what it encompasses. I did well in school but when I hit college it was a horror trying to keep track of classes, credits, etc.. If my boy has this I'd like him to have a heads up beforehand.

I thought about talking to his doc about it but I figured I'll take a wait & see approach. I'm also afraid the doctor will think I'm projecting. I don't want to medicate my boy, as he is perfectly happy, I just want someone to keep an eye out with me.

Just for more insight...
Did you have trouble getting to sleep at night?
and my son also gets upset if I give him too many choices to pick from at the stores (he gets confused) --- and he also tells me he can't remember things (I ask my daughter to try to remember some of the small daily things she needs for school {because I barely can}, etc...but my son says he can't do that)

Thanks for your insight.

speedo
08-03-06, 09:21 AM
AnnieM;
If I go into a store to buy something, I am okay if I know exactly what I want and can find it. If I don't know exactly what I want, and there are more than one or two selections I tend to deadlock until I simply chose out of frustration. :eek:

Yes, I have sleep disorders. I did poorly in public schools, but thrived in college. I was never up to my potential and I probably would have done better in college if I had been aware of my adhd and could have gotten appropriate treatment. In any case I mostly managed to compensate for many of my adhd problems, but there were still problems that I was eventually forced to deal with, whiche eventually led to me getting diagnosed with adhd...

Me :D

kvrrd
08-03-06, 11:08 AM
What a nice thread. I just loved the article about rainman...
I've got this notion bouncing around in my head that we should, somehow, start getting a little more proactive about educating others. Which is WAY risky to use oneself as an example.

I have to look at all the stuff in a store, and deadlock? - geezzzz, 50 brands of white bread!
Noone in my family wants to go shopping with me because it takes so long.
Now why would I have 50 cans of black olives in the cabinets?

Vickie
08-06-06, 09:51 PM
Daughter is gifted in the areas where she actually sat down and worked (even hit the ceiling in parts). In the other areas, she scored normal to high even though she would not sit for testing and wandered around the room until time ran out so she did not get much done. I was told that she should be evaluated for adhd and be retested for IQ. She also has dyslexia and disgraphia. Though her reading comprehension is great, she is slow.

jc10101
09-01-07, 03:12 AM
QueensU_girl actually aspergers is not a violent disorder, most people with it is very honest and non violent, I'v had it for nearly 20+ years, Most Aspies who have a High (einstein) kind of IQ and they tend to stay out of trouble. It's when the enviroment that there in gets to clogged up with to many people in there space (the nervous system shuts down and or and then goes into violent mode) Thats why most people who have a passion for a activity usually tend to stick with it for long periods of time. Thats why having your child be mostly independent and just have then enjoy there hobbies is the most important in a cure.

SpaceTraveller
09-01-07, 08:51 PM
IQ tests may have a bit of validity when neurotypicals take them, but once you give them to those who AREN'T neurotypical and are wired a bit differently, they mean a lot less. I'm pretty sure if I took an IQ test, I would come out as gifted, but the number tests the skills you have learned, just as anything else would. Until there's some kind of chemical test or scan that measures some kind of intellectual potential, IQ only shows a limited part of the picture of intelligence. I'm 90% sure I'm ADHD/gifted so I'll put that down.